Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know, Sooth, awhile back (see, I have been reading!) you wondered why we cannot pry ourselves from this thread?

Well, clearly, we cannot get enough of you and your arguments, you maddening and enchanting provocateur, lol!
    "It's either the river or the Ripper for me."~~anonymous 'unfortunate', London 1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Fiddymont View Post
      You know, Sooth, awhile back (see, I have been reading!) you wondered why we cannot pry ourselves from this thread?

Well, clearly, we cannot get enough of you and your arguments, you maddening and enchanting provocateur, lol!
      You girls just love us strong silent types, huh?

Comment

• What can I say?

You lovable rogue.

Yet still methinks you are having us on!
        "It's either the river or the Ripper for me."~~anonymous 'unfortunate', London 1888

Comment

What can I say?

You lovable rogue.

Yet still methinks you are having us on!
          Mrs Fiddymont,

Have you read my more worthy posts?

My brilliance? My insight?

Don't you realise how you have left me wounded and lonely by the wayside of your affections!

As Springsteen said:

"There were ghosts in the eyes of all the boys you sent away. They haunt this dusty beach road in the skeletal frames of burnt-out chevrolets".

It hurts to be discarded in the dust and dirt, sweet Mrs F.. Say you have a kind thought occasionally for me?

PS Anyone know how to hotwire a burnt-out chevrolet? It's a heck of a long walk back to Blighty ...

Comment

• Alas, Mr. S! We Southern belles are known for our flighty and fleeting affections...you might even ask the unfortunate Mr. Maybrick about that!

Comment

Alas, Mr. S! We Southern belles are known for our flighty and fleeting affections...you might even ask the unfortunate Mr. Maybrick about that!
              I see you're being 'terribly serious' on another thread, fair Mrs. F.. You know how to wound a man!

PS Mrs Soothsayer's younger brother married a Texan girl. Ever been to Ballinger, TX? It's only got one horse, you know ...

Comment

• Sorry to say, I have never been to Ballinger.

Never been to Texas, for that matter--altho rumor has it that the Lone Star State does, in fact, exist.

However, I must boast. In my hometown, we are the proud possessors of not one, but two--count 'em, two!!--actual stoplights.

We are hitting the big time, oh yeah.
                Last edited by Mrs. Fiddymont; 06-03-2009, 03:23 AM. Reason: Ah kain't spel

Comment

• Originally posted by Soothsayer View Post
                  I think you're over-complicating here, Vicster.

He appears to have daubed the letters 'FM' on Kelly's wall (the clue is that we can see them in every version of Kelly's wall you'll ever see), and later on reflected on this fact with a bit of doggerel. If you take it literally (that an initial would be 'here', and an initial would be 'there') then I am not surprised you are confused.
                  OK then, where are the initials in this picture?
                  Attached Files
                  Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
                  Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

• Originally posted by Victor View Post
                    OK then, where are the initials in this picture?
                    I'm afraid I don't know how to attach your picture in order to edit it.

What you appear to have posted is one of the poorer quality copies which were made of Kelly's death scene (I believe about five copies are known about).

Nevertheless, the 'M' is quite apparent (lower right of visible wall, a foot or so in). The 'F' has always been fainter, and that's hard to see in your copy.

I would draw your attention to better-quality copies reproduced in scores of books where both the 'F' and the 'M' are considerably clearer.

For the pro-journal camp, look no further than Feldman or Harrison's original. Feldman even circles the letters in a close-up.

For an anti-journal view, definitely look at the new Stewart Evans/Donald Rumbelow 'Scotland Yard Investigates' (p184) and Trevor Marriott's '21st Century Investigation'. The letters simply could not be clearer, and I suspect that this is because Donald Rumbelow possesses one of the clearest of the original copies, and both books appear to have used this version.

In the books cited above, it is very fanciful indeed to suggest that the letters are randomly formed by highly-articulate 'rivulets of blood' as is commonly suggested on this Casebook. Blood writes like a one-year old, not a fifty-year old.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I'm afraid I don't know how to attach your picture in order to edit it.
                      Right-click the image in my post above and "save picture as" then you can edit the version you saved and then re-attach it to a new post (you'll need to be in the advanced editor - hit "Go advanced button)

What you appear to have posted is one of the poorer quality copies which were made of Kelly's death scene (I believe about five copies are known about).
                      That image is from casebook, I just cropped it to the appropriate area.

Nevertheless, the 'M' is quite apparent (lower right of visible wall, a foot or so in). The 'F' has always been fainter, and that's hard to see in your copy.
                      Are you referring to where it says "HI" quite clearly and obviously on that image?
                      Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
                      Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

• Originally posted by Victor View Post
                        Right-click the image in my post above and "save picture as" then you can edit the version you saved and then re-attach it to a new post

Are you referring to where it says "HI" quite clearly and obviously on that image?
                        Hey hey - check me out!

Thanks for that Victor - I feel I can hold my head up in public now!

Anyway, I've marked where Feldman/Harrison first pointed out the initials-like marks on the wall. As I said earlier, this version (from the Casebook archive) is poorer-quality so the 'F' is harder to discern. Check them out in the books I recommended - you'll be in far less doubt (if in doubt you are, indeed, in).

PS I didn't get the 'HI' - could you highlight it for me, please?
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Mascara & Paranoia View Post
                          One: what, specifically, have I given away about myself? And two: you avoided to answer the question again.

Now, let me tell you what you've given away about yourself: your failure to supply me with a straight, blunt answer to a simple question, to my eyes at least, kind of implies that you don't like the answer to said question because it blows your case apart. Am I warm? Or is there another reason why you feel the need to be so evasive with your reply?
                          Goodness me, I totally missed this post!

What you gave away about yourself was that you pontificate without having read anything! The reason why I know you don't read anything is that you post on this site in reply to one of my postings but you haven't read my posting! If you had, you wouldn't have asked me whatever question it was you asked me (so much time has passed, I've forgotten what it was) because I actually answered your question in my posting before you even asked it! (That's why they call me Soothsayer, incidentally.)

The Cult of Ripperology is populated by dilletantes who know nothing about the case, read nothing about the case, and yet post on this site as though they know everything about the case!

Comment

G

The Cult of Ripperology is populated by dilletantes who know nothing about the case, read nothing about the case, and yet post on this site as though they know everything about the case!

I am guessing you'd be the Jim Jones of said cult then.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                            I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ally View Post
                              I am guessing you'd be the Jim Jones of said cult then.
                              Possibly, Queen of Mean, very possibly. If I am, I promise you, I am there firmly under cover in the Great Quest for Truth. Ever brave, always prepared to put my neck on the line to save the human race (from Jack the Ripper misinformation), a genuine hero in the digital age, an inspiration for the disenfranchised, the poor, the sad, the lonely. But enough about you lot!

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                                You weren't there, were you?

Graham
                                I missed this one as well!

I wasn't there (old Great Grandad Soothsayer was) but I've seen the photographs of Hampton's brace and - in the spirit of journal-debunkers - I can confidently say that they weren't there, they never happened. We drew 0-0 and 104 years later, we're still waiting for the replay ...

Comment

Working...
                                X