Lechmere's Wife - What Do We Know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question for Fisherman.
    In which cemetery were Lechmere and his wife buried?

Miss Marple

Comment

Elizabeth Lechmere was buried in Bow Cemetery. Not sure about Charles.

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
        I have a question for Fisherman.
        In which cemetery were Lechmere and his wife buried?

Miss Marple
        Tower Hamlets cemetery, Bow, both of them. Not in the same plot, though - they are buried, if I have my bearings correct, in the far northeastern corner (Elizabeth) and the far southwestern ditto (Charles).

Comment

I was hoping it was Tower Hamlets. I have contacts there. I can find out about graveownership etc.
          Bow Cemetery is the old name for Tower Hamlets.

Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            Tower Hamlets cemetery, Bow, both of them. Not in the same plot, though - they are buried, if I have my bearings correct, in the far northeastern corner (Elizabeth) and the far southwestern ditto (Charles).
            What would be interesting is whether the first grave was a 'double' or not. I seem to recall that when my mother died my father paid extra for a double plot to ensure that when his time came he could be laid beside (probably on top of) her.

Comment

Perhaps she couldn't read a compass, either.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                What would be interesting is whether the first grave was a 'double' or not. I seem to recall that when my mother died my father paid extra for a double plot to ensure that when his time came he could be laid beside (probably on top of) her.
                Yes, these things will play a role, of course. Maybe it was costly to secure that extra room from the outset, I donīt know. And maybe it is less common in Britain to lay husband and wife to rest by each otherīs side, I donīt know that either. And it was a different era.

All I know is that they are very far apart, and I would have expected it to be the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                  Perhaps she couldn't read a compass, either.
                  Is there a term for that? Ilcompasserate...?

Comment

And maybe it is less common in Britain to lay husband and wife to rest by each otherīs side, I donīt know that either. And it was a different era.
                    Double plots were very common indeed - they have the big advantage of only one headstone, which saves a lot of money. Many are more than double. If you go to a British churchyard or cemetery you will see lots of Victorian stones which list a couple and any children who died young (or before marriage).

I used to do a lot of genealogy and local history and spent many, many hours in churchyards. I am pretty sure I have never ever seen a husband and wife buried in separate graves - with the exception of royalty and high aristocracy who have rather different burial habits to regular folks.

Did Lechmere or his wife remarry?

Or maybe things are different in London, being so big and everything. I am from the countryside so familiar with smaller churchyards.

Comment

Originally posted by Azarna View Post
                      Double plots were very common indeed - they have the big advantage of only one headstone, which saves a lot of money. Many are more than double. If you go to a British churchyard or cemetery you will see lots of Victorian stones which list a couple and any children who died young (or before marriage).

I used to do a lot of genealogy and local history and spent many, many hours in churchyards. I am pretty sure I have never ever seen a husband and wife buried in separate graves - with the exception of royalty and high aristocracy who have rather different burial habits to regular folks.

Or maybe things are different in London, being so big and everything. I am from the countryside so familiar with smaller churchyards.
                      That is interesting; many thanks. No, they did not remarry, Charles died in 1920, while still married to Elizabeth, and she died in 1940, without having remarried.

Comment

Originally posted by Azarna View Post

Which is why it would be interesting to know whether Charles Lechmere's plot was capable of holding an additional burial. If it was, then either the family were unaware of the fact when they came to bury Elizabeth, or they/she did not want the couple to spend eternity side by side.

Comment

So by all accounts it sounds like the Lechmere's had a decent marriage, and appeared to be loving parents.

I don't recall reading if Lechmere was arrested before?

Columbo

Comment

Originally posted by Columbo View Post
                            So by all accounts it sounds like the Lechmere's had a decent marriage, and appeared to be loving parents.

I don't recall reading if Lechmere was arrested before?

Columbo
                            Thatīs because there are no known records of any criminal activity on his behalf.

Comment

I will hopefully get some information from Tower Hamlets on the Lechmere graves but as an ardent tapophile I can say that married couples are sometime buried apart. There was a war on and Mrs Lechmere was living in Essex. If Lechmere did not have the forsight to purchase a double grave when he was alive, they may have put him in a single to save money.

Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                                I will hopefully get some information from Tower Hamlets on the Lechmere graves but as an ardent tapophile I can say that married couples are sometime buried apart. There was a war on and Mrs Lechmere was living in Essex. If Lechmere did not have the forsight to purchase a double grave when he was alive, they may have put him in a single to save money.

Miss Marple
                                One thing that needs to be added is that Charles Lechmere rests under an extra layer of soil, as I understand things. At some stage, soil from freshly opened graves was dumped on top of the graves where Lechmere lay buried, but I donīt know when. I find it odd if it was pre 1940, when there would reasonably have been kids and wives still visiting the gravesites. But if it WAS pre 1940, then that could explain why they were separated.

Comment

Working...
                                X