No announcement yet.

What happened to Lechmere......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I imagine the man was either an LNWR security guard or a Railway Police 'officer'. That's just a guess.

Here's a question for you: The thief was driving a van out of the station and claimed to have forgotten to unload the whisky and champagne. The LNWR receiving office was in Primrose Street where there were also apparently stables connected to the goods station. Do you think it's likely that if this man started his working day at Primrose Street each morning and took received items from there to the main station he might have described his place of employment as Pickfords, Broad Street?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
      I imagine the man was either an LNWR security guard or a Railway Police 'officer'. That's just a guess.

Here's a question for you: The thief was driving a van out of the station and claimed to have forgotten to unload the whisky and champagne. The LNWR receiving office was in Primrose Street where there were also apparently stables connected to the goods station. Do you think it's likely that if this man started his working day at Primrose Street each morning and took received items from there to the main station he might have described his place of employment as Pickfords, Broad Street?
      The dishonest carman said nothing about the whisky, actually - that was found at his home. When he was nicked, he only had champagne in his cart.
      But that´s beside the point!
      What would he have described as his working place? I really don´t know. It probably hinges to some degree on who hired him, and where he spent most of his working time.
      I am sure you are making some sort of point, but I would appreciate if you explained it to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
        If you believe the witness Long, then yes. If you believe George Bagster Phillips - which the police apparently did - then no.
        I think the Ripper killed Chapman ar around 3.30, which is in line with Phillips assessment.

If Long was correct, however, then he could not have killed Chapman en route to work, but he was a carman who delivered goods, and so he may have killed her when on an errand. But that would deviate from all his other deeds where he worked during the dark hours.
        All his other deeds?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
          All his other deeds?

Regards, Pierre
          Nichols, Stride, Eddowes and Kelly, Pierre. And quite possibly Tabram.
          Last edited by Fisherman; 03-14-2016, 06:18 AM.

Comment

The dishonest carman said nothing about the whisky, actually - that was found at his home. When he was nicked, he only had champagne in his cart.
            But that´s beside the point!
            What would he have described as his working place? I really don´t know. It probably hinges to some degree on who hired him, and where he spent most of his working time.
            I am sure you are making some sort of point, but I would appreciate if you explained it to me.
            I stand corrected re the whiskey.

It's a bit odd that the man was a LNWR employee and yet he was driving a Pickfords van, don't you think? Unless he was pinching the van as well. I don't suppose every van was searched as it left the yard, so in this instance the 'officers' instincts were sound. Perhaps a blood-stained Lechmere simply breezed past him or other 'officers' with a cheery whistle each morning and never raised any suspicion, but it seems very likely that he would have been clocked as he entered and left his workplace.

My second point was that a man whose job it was to collect goods from a drop-off point in Primrose Street and deliver them to Broad Street Station might well describe himself as working at Broad Street, even if his first port of call each morning was the stables in Primrose Street. If that man lived somewhere East of Brady Street, an Old Montague Street route to work would not be 'logical'. So if we wish not to mislead we have to qualify 'logical routes' in some way.

Comment

Nichols, Stride, Eddowes and Kelly, Pierre. And quite possibly Tabram.
              Fish

Do you not consider Smith one of Lechmere's?

Gary

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                Fish

Do you not consider Smith one of Lechmere's?

Gary
                There´s a good many others I think are much more probable. Smith is a non-probable.

Comment

• MrBarnett:

I stand corrected re the whiskey.

Big deal, eh?

It's a bit odd that the man was a LNWR employee and yet he was driving a Pickfords van, don't you think? Unless he was pinching the van as well. I don't suppose every van was searched as it left the yard, so in this instance the 'officers' instincts were sound. Perhaps a blood-stained Lechmere simply breezed past him or other 'officers' with a cheery whistle each morning and never raised any suspicion, but it seems very likely that he would have been clocked as he entered and left his workplace.

My second point was that a man whose job it was to collect goods from a drop-off point in Primrose Street and deliver them to Broad Street Station might well describe himself as working at Broad Street, even if his first port of call each morning was the stables in Primrose Street. If that man lived somewhere East of Brady Street, an Old Montague Street route to work would not be 'logical'. So if we wish not to mislead we have to qualify 'logical routes' in some way.

Ah - there we are! Well, here´s how the Times portrayed things:
                  "George Cross, a carman, stated that he left home on Friday morning at 20 minutes past 3, and he arrived at his work, at Broad-street, at 4 o'clock."
                  No Primrose Street mentioned there!

As for a blood-stained Lechmere breezing past the entrance guard/s every murder morning, I stand by what I have already said - there´s no telling to what degree he would have been bloodstained. At any rate, a few specks on dark clothing would not have been easily spotted, whereas a bloodbathed person, the stuff dripping from the brim of his hat would be easier to reveal.

Once again - it all depends on how bloodied he was, what possibilitites he had to clean up (if needed) before he engaged his fellow workers and the lighting conditions.

Comment

I very much dislike it when somebody takes it upon himself to be the much better man than me in this respect
                    To be absolutely clear, it's not about you or me - it's about the argument. And I don't mean "argument" in the "handbags-at-ten-paces" sense, but in the strict meaning of "a statement or fact advanced for the purpose of influencing the mind". Given that we're serious researchers (n'est-ce pas?), and in a position to influence people's minds, we should be jolly careful with the "arguments" we construct. If we're not, then we can both expect any deficiencies in our arguments to be corrected.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      To be absolutely clear, it's not about you or me - it's about the argument. And I don't mean "argument" in the "handbags-at-ten-paces" sense, but in the strict meaning of "a statement or fact advanced for the purpose of influencing the mind". Given that we're serious researchers (n'est-ce pas?), and in a position to influence people's minds, we should be jolly careful with the "arguments" we construct. If we're not, then we can both expect any deficiencies in our arguments to be corrected.
                      That´s as it should be, no more, no less. But being jumped for presuming that a carman would have worked a normal working week, as if you had tried to mislead somebody, is not something I enjoy very much. And when you add how you have felt the need to correct me umpteen times, whilst yourself being a very balanced poster, I smell a rat, if you forgive me for saying so.

We have different views of the case. We both get it wrong at times. We both like to get it right, since we know that getting it wrong is dipping your toes into a pond of piranhas.

Now, you represent the "the case will probably never been solved" fraction, and one of the backdrwas of having such a fraction is that the people in it sometimes tend to get very patronizing towards those who say that they have a suspect. It´s understandable, but it is not very entertaining. And - if I may be so bold - it makes people lazy, to a degree; here we are, at the end of things, sort of. And to wrap things up, matters are settled between peers in the most confortable way. Like the Chapman case, where we are asked to believe that the killer chatted away a number of minutes inside the backyard before remembering what he had come to do.

"But there are three witnesses corroborating each other", you say.

But I say there are three PEOPLE involved, and people will mistake themselves, they will reach for fifteen minutes of fame, they will lie, they will forget, they will distort.
                      And then there is one factuality involved - Chapman was very cold as Phillips examined her.
                      In my book, that trumps a set of witnesses like the triumvirate you lean upon ten times out of ten. But when I try to "correct the deficiency" in that argument, you say that you regard it as a proven fact that Phillips is wrong. And then you want to thrash me for not having taken into account that some people worked Sundays in 1888 - as if it mattered to the Lechmere theory, where it has NEVER been known where the carman was on the morning of four out of five canonical murders.
                      What matters is that it is a proven thing that he lived at Doveton Street and worked at Broad Street (although this too has come under question lately), and so he fits the bill for the kind of person we should look for geographywise - a man who seemingly had reason to be at the murder sites at the relevant hours.

It´s too much shadowboxing going on, and too little interest in the facts.

Comment

That´s as it should be, no more, no less. But being jumped for presuming that a carman would have worked a normal working week
                        No, you did not merely "presume that a carman would have worked a normal working week" - you stated, without qualification (or evidence), that the mornings on which he worked coincided with all but the Stride/Eddowes murders. That is something quite different. It's not presuming - it is stating an assumption AS IF IT WERE FACT, which is bad argumentation. I "jumped" the argument (but not you) for that reason.
                        Last edited by Sam Flynn; 03-14-2016, 11:12 AM.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Sam Flynn: No, you did not merely "presume that a carman would have worked a normal working week" - you stated, without qualification (or evidence), that the mornings on which he worked coincided with all but the Stride/Eddowes murders.

... because I presumed he did so.

That is something quite different. It's not presuming - it is stating an assumption AS IF IT WERE FACT, which is bad argumentation. I "jumped" the argument (but not you) for that reason.

... which is the same reason I jumped your "Bagster Phillips was wrong on the TOD of Chapman."

Maybe we are not all that different after all.
                          Last edited by Fisherman; 03-14-2016, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Thoughts and remarks:

Yes, this carman of luxurious habits (champagne, mind you!) was nicked by a man hired by Pickfords.

But apparently, he had managed to spirit away half a luggage train of goods before that happened.

Making it a tough exercise to establish how effectively the carmen were controlled.

A question for you, Gary: it is said that the man who nicked Champagne Charlie was an "officer". What does that tell us; do you know?
                            But establishes pretty firmly that more than just meat went through there.

Chambers
                            Tea
                            Cloth
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              But establishes pretty firmly that more than just meat went through there.

Chambers
                              Tea
                              Cloth
                              That has always been known, Gut. Meat was a major commodity - but by no means the only one.

Comment

It´s too much shadowboxing going on, and too little interest in the facts.
                                The main facts are not in dispute are they? Polly Nichols was murdered in Bucks Row and her throat was cut, and minor wounds were inflicted to her abdomen. Her time of death cannot be established.However you have invented your own scenario which surround those facts to fit your own theory.

There is no more evidence to show Lechmere killed Nicholls than there is to point to the following who were all involved in the finding of victims who had been murdered in similar circumstances to Lechmere finding Nicholls

John Reeves who found Martha Tabram
                                John Richardson who found Chapman

and not forgetting George Morris Night watchman in Mitre Square who might have popped out and murdered Eddowes and then popped back in.

or Pc Thompson finding Coles, was he the killer and did he make up the story of hearing footsteps running away

or Pc Andrews finding the body of Mckenzie was he her killer

How do they differ from Lechmere what makes Lechmere a murder suspect and none of the aforementioned?

If you are relying on the false name I would argue that if he were guilty and was giving a false name for that reason then why not simply make up a name?

I am interested to know if this theory was yours from the outset or did Edward bring it to you and you have taken up the mantle? Just interested to find out who is the puppet and who is the puppet master ?

Comment

Working...
                                X