Evidence of innocence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Someone invented the term manther, but it never really caught on.

I'm interested in why Charles Lechmere is being described as having an absentee father.

Doesn't Thomas Cross count?

Some might consider it an insult to stepfathers.

Lechmere was an adult of 19 when Thomas Cross kicked the bucket, and far as we know, Cross could have been an ideal father figure: patient, responsible, kindhearted, and available. There's nothing to say otherwise.

Or we could paint Cross as a violent sadist and bent copper who exposed Charles to the most humiliating perversions.

I suspect that's the appeal of the Lechmere theory. He's basically a tabula rasa and one can chalk-up whatever fanciful suggestion one wants.
    What was it Aristotle said, give me the child until he is seven and I will give you the man.

Did CAL have a stable male influence during his first seven years?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ally View Post
      Sigh. A sugar daddy is someone who pays a woman for her favors. Try again. A slur for a man who engages in romantic relationships with a younger woman, no element of payment involved. Just getting insulted because you date someone younger than you and you're a man.
      How about “dirty old man”, wasn’t my fault she looked about 13, when she was 25, and I looked about 40 when I was 28. I was taken as her father a few times, she was taken as our sons sister many times. It didn’t really worry me, but she sure got upset by both.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post

How about “dirty old man”, wasn’t my fault she looked about 13, when she was 25, and I looked about 40 when I was 28. I was taken as her father a few times, she was taken as our sons sister many times. It didn’t really worry me, but she sure got upset by both.
        Yes, that was ubiquitous for an old man who had designs on younger women.

There are probably a few choice Elizabethan ones as a well.

Sigh! Perhaps we should start a new thread to list them all.

Comment

• >>Did CAL have a stable male influence during his first seven years?<<

That would depend on when Cross and Lechmere started courting. It's not impossible that C.A.L. had, at least, 18 years of Thomas Cross in his life starting around the age of 1. He may have never have been able to recall a time when Tom was not in his childhood.

Plus, of course, there is always the possibility that Thomas Cross was his father.
          dustymiller
          aka drstrange

Comment

• Dingo?

Comment

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
              >>Did CAL have a stable male influence during his first seven years?<<

That would depend on when Cross and Lechmere started courting. It's not impossible that C.A.L. had, at least, 18 years of Thomas Cross in his life starting around the age of 1. He may have never have been able to recall a time when Tom was not in his childhood.

Plus, of course, there is always the possibility that Thomas Cross was his father.
              When Cross was 14? What are you trying to imply about Maria?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 9.36.44 am.png
Views:	131
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	799468

The Guardian 1890 05 03
                dustymiller
                aka drstrange

Comment

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 9.36.44 am.png
Views:	131
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	799468

The Guardian 1890 05 03
                  Ah, that’s ok then.

Comment

• Mac (Canadian apparently)

Comment

• Steven Maywood’s wife was 14/15 when he married her. She lied about her age on their marriage cert and it was also inflated on early censuses, but towards the end of her life her true age was being shown.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                        Plus the risk that her bigamous marriages could have been overturned at any time while JAL was alive.
                        "Provided always, that neither this Act, nor anything therein contained, shall extend to any person or persons whose husband or wife shall be continually remaining beyond the seas by the space of seven years together, or whose husband or wife shall absent him or herself the one from the other by the space of seven years together, in any parts within his Majesties Dominions, the one of them not knowing the other to be living within that time.' - Bigamy Act of 1603

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                          Was Kelly killed on a holiday?
                          Friday, November 8, 1888 was Lord Mayor's Day. The City of London shut down for the Procession and free food was given to 10,000 residents of the East End.

Which rather undermines the theory that Lechmere was killing in the way to work. He was probably queued up with his large hungry brood getting some of that free food or watching the Procession or one after the other. He sure wasn't pretending to go to work on a holiday,
                          "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

• Originally posted by Fiver View Post

Friday, November 8, 1888 was Lord Mayor's Day. The City of London shut down for the Procession and free food was given to 10,000 residents of the East End.

Which rather undermines the theory that Lechmere was killing in the way to work. He was probably queued up with his large hungry brood getting some of that free food or watching the Procession or one after the other. He sure wasn't pretending to go to work on a holiday,

You mean 9 November?

Can you provide any reference please?

By the way, here is an extract from my correspondence with Edward Stow:

PI 1: 'Are you denying that it was a holiday in the City of London, where Lechmere worked?'

Stow: 'The Lord Mayor's Show was not a public holiday. Only ignorant people think it was.'
                            Last edited by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1; 11-05-2022, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fiver View Post

"Provided always, that neither this Act, nor anything therein contained, shall extend to any person or persons whose husband or wife shall be continually remaining beyond the seas by the space of seven years together, or whose husband or wife shall absent him or herself the one from the other by the space of seven years together, in any parts within his Majesties Dominions, the one of them not knowing the other to be living within that time.' - Bigamy Act of 1603

That law was actually superseded by another law in 1828, but the wording in that law is not materially different.

I did explain all this to Edward Stow, before he accused me of being ignorant and malicious.

I would like, if I may, to quote what I wrote to Edward Stow in response to his allegation that I am malicious:

That is ironic in that, whereas you devote your energies online to trying to prove that a certain carter, who worked for Pickfords and lived with his wife and nine children, murdered five women while on his way to work (except you admit you're not sure whether he went to work on the days most of them were murdered) and dismembered four more, and that his mother was a bigamist, you accuse ME of being malicious.

He replied: You are getting increasingly childish.

Comment

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post
                                You mean 9 November?
                                Yes, sorry. Typo.

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post
                                Can you provide any reference please?
                                Times (London) Wednesday, 7 November 1888​

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post
                                ​By the way, here is an extract from my correspondence with Edward Stow:

PI 1: 'Are you denying that it was a holiday in the City of London, where Lechmere worked?'

Stow: 'The Lord Mayor's Show was not a public holiday. Only ignorant people think it was.'
                                From the link:

"The Lord Mayor Elect and Mr. A. J. Newton, Sheriff of London and Middlesex, have provided a treat for 2,000 destitute people at the East-end of London on Lord Mayor's Day. A substantial meat tea will be given them in the Tower Hamlets Mission-hall, of which Mr. F. N. Charrington is honorary superintendent, and it will be followed by an amusing entertainment. Mr. Charrington, writing to us from Great Assembly-hall, Mile-end, says that he will be thankful to receive any further contributions, as arrangements have been made for entertaining 3,000 persons. The Lord Mayor Elect has also, in addition to the benefactions which have been previously announced, arranged special and suitable gifts to the 80 inmates of the City of London Union now in hospital at Margate and to 260 children from the same union now in schools at Hanwell. The total number entertained on the 9th by the new Lord Mayor will exceed 10,000. No condition has been imposed except that the recipients shall be the poor and needy."

Not everyone got the day off, the police being the most obvious example. If Lechmere did have to work, showing up coated in blood would have rather given the game away.

Comment

Working...
                                X