Evidence of innocence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    Click image for larger version Name:	5BAB28C9-FB6A-4B24-82F9-8738BA03E87B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	33.4 KB ID:	768852 O

Not until the 1900s. A proper shop by the looks of it.

Sadly, none of his friends, neighbours or ex-colleagues would have recognised it as being the business of their old mate Charlie Cross.
    I can’t be arsed to check it out, but I bet the only other Lechmere in the directory, the Chelsea dental surgeon, had a middle name or more than one. Yet he didn’t feel the need to use it when advertising his upmarket business.

CAL, however, the ‘umble carman/shopkeeper, rarely omitted his ALLEN.
    Last edited by MrBarnett; 09-21-2021, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

Hasnīt the time come now to admit that the name business is not looking good for the carman? Or must we do more rounds?
      Hasnt the time come for you and others to accept that there was nothing sinister, or suspcious about the different names and bring this boring and repetitive topic to a close.

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	5BAB28C9-FB6A-4B24-82F9-8738BA03E87B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	33.4 KB ID:	768852 O
        -- Do you have a Goad map (or anything else) that would show which Carlton Road property that was? There's literally one corner shop remaining today that has window arches like the one in Lech's photograph. I'm told it's not the one he had (and there may indeed have been several of that design); but I know how hard it is to get historical numberings right...

M.

Comment

I can’t be arsed to check it out, but I bet the only other Lechmere in the directory, the Chelsea dental surgeon, had a middle name or more than one. Yet he didn’t feel the need to use it when advertising his upmarket business.

CAL, however, the ‘umble carman/shopkeeper, rarely omitted his ALLEN.
          I suppose you know that Lechmere's near-enough neighbour when he lived in Carlton Road was George Akin Lusk (1839–1919): he of the Mile End Kidney Depository...

M.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark J D View Post

-- Do you have a Goad map (or anything else) that would show which Carlton Road property that was? There's literally one corner shop remaining today that has window arches like the one in Lech's photograph. I'm told it's not the one he had (and there may indeed have been several of that design); but I know how hard it is to get historical numberings right...

M.
            I’ll have a look, Mark. It wasn’t me who said you’d got the wrong shop was it?

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	B090F34C-8C8E-4CDC-AE21-27FA37AD4BBC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	768862 Beware the RABBIT HOLE…

Comment

Not until the 1900s. A proper shop by the looks of it.

Sadly, none of his friends, neighbours or ex-colleagues would have recognised it as being the business of their old mate Charlie Cross.
                thanks Gary-yes another example of lech using lech and not cross.

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	B090F34C-8C8E-4CDC-AE21-27FA37AD4BBC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	768862 Beware the RABBIT HOLE…
                  Why might a professional man have discarded the name he had been known by in favour of a name that had much greater social cachet?

Comment

I’ll have a look, Mark. It wasn’t me who said you’d got the wrong shop was it?
                    No.

Have you seen it on Google thingies? The area was obviously redeveloped long ago, with the corner shop/s seemingly retained; then apparently partly bombed and rebuilt in the customarily awful way. If there's any chance of that one property -- itself partly rebuilt, to judge from the brickwork -- being his, I want to get a metal-detector into that garden right away...

M.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

Hasnt the time come for you and others to accept that there was nothing sinister, or suspcious about the different names and bring this boring and repetitive topic to a close.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

I dont know whether there was or wasnīt something sinister about the name change.

Furthermore, you dont know whether there was or wasnīt either.

But I do know that people who change names in combination with appearances at the cop shop or in front of an inquest are not always good people. In fact, they are more often bad people than the ones who do not change their names in such situations.

If you had had any sort of background in policing or suchlike, you would have known this too. But as long as you donīt, it .... Wait a sec!
                      Last edited by Fisherman; 09-21-2021, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark J D View Post

No.

Have you seen it on Google thingies? The area was obviously redeveloped long ago, with the corner shop/s seemingly retained; then apparently partly bombed and rebuilt in the customarily awful way. If there's any chance of that one property -- itself partly rebuilt, to judge from the brickwork -- being his, I want to get a metal-detector into that garden right away...

M.
                        I have a memory like a sieve, but when you mentioned it before I thought I compared its location on Google thingies to the directory and it seemed to work.

I’ll have a look again later.

Comment

Why might a professional man have discarded the name he had been known by in favour of a name that had much greater social cachet?

Beats me. Not least since we suspect that others who carried the Lechmere name couldnīt be more anxious to swop it for more common names.
                          Well, in some contexts at least. Not all of them.

And not every Lechmere. Just the one.
                          Last edited by Fisherman; 09-21-2021, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I dont know whether there was or wasnīt something sinister about the name change.

Furthermore, you dont know whether there was or wasnīt either.

But I do know that people who change names in combination with appearances at the cop shop or in front of an inquest are not always good people. In fact, they re more often bad people than the ones who do not chamge theit names in such situations.

If you had had any sort of background in policing or suchlike, you would have known this too. But as long as you donīt, it .... Wait a sec!
                            Trevor was probably too busy following the ‘standard procedure’ of checking out the ID of every last witness he ever interviewed, just to make sure the weren’t Fred Bloggs but Charlie Peace or Reggie Kray.

Comment

Beats me. Not least since we suspect that others who carried the Lechmere name couldnīt be more anxious to swop it for more common names.
                              Well, in some contexts at least. Not all of them.

And not every Lechmere. Just the one.
                              Two if you count Ma.

Comment

Two if you count Ma.
                                Very true - but I donīt think that Charles would be Cross with her for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X