No announcement yet.

Evidence of innocence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am once again going to bring up the matter of whether or not it is a proven fact that Robert Paul told PC Mizen that he thought that Polly Nichols was dead. I mentioned in in an earlier post, but apart from Fiver, whose posts I do not comment on for reasons given, nobody has answered the question as far as I can see.

I am once again going to use a quotation from Steve Blomers review of my book Cutting Point in Ripperologist Magazine, where it is claimed as a fact that Paul did tell Mizen that he thought that Nichols was dead:

”Christer is also a bit dodgy when it comes to the weight attached to some information. For example, he gives prominence to a comment that Robert Paul thought he felt Nichols breathing, but underplays Paul’s statement to PC Mizen that he thought the woman was dead. ”

Here, Steve Blomer builds his argument about me - and the book, as a consequence - being ”dodgy” on his claim that Robert Paul did inform Mizen that he thought that Nichols was dead. The exact claim is that I would have ”underplayed” this ”fact” which, as we shall see, is no fact at all.

Let’s begin by pointing out, once again, that far from surpassing the notion (I am going to call it a notion forthwith, because calling it a fact would not be true), I actually point to it in two places in the book.

On page 68-69, I write, when quoting Lechmere´s version/s of the events: ”Another element is added in the description in the Echo: ’I said to a constable - the last witness - There´s a woman lying in Bucks-Row. She looks to me as though she was dead, or drunk. The other man then said, I believe she is dead.”

On page 75, I write "... we have seen that Charles Lechmere claimed that Robert Paul told PC Mizen that he believed that the woman in Buck´s Row was dead...", referring back to the passage above.

Here, we may see that I mention the notion that Steve Blomer speaks of as being ”underplayed” by me not once, but twice. Apparently, he would have liked me to mention it on more occasions, but it is of course any writers privilege to shape the text how he chooses to. And it is not as if the notion as such is uninteresting to me. It is not something that I would want to hide, since I think it is part of the evidence AGAINST Charles Lechmere, who I believe lied about it! So why would I want to underplay it? The suggestion is not a sound one.

However, what Blomer says is not that it was claimed that Paul told Mizen that he thought that Nichols was dead. He claims it for a fact, which is why we need to look at it in greater detail.

First up is the Lloyds interview, where Paul is quoted as saying:

”I was obliged to be punctual at my work, so I went on and told the other man I would send the first policeman I saw. I saw one in Church-row, just at the top of Buck's-row, who was going round calling people up, and I told him what I had seen, and I asked him to come, but he did not say whether he should come or not. He continued calling the people up, which I thought was a great shame, after I had told him the woman was dead.”

If we were to go by this item only, it would be a done deal: Paul did say to Mizen that he thought that the woman in Bucks Row was dead. However, as we all know, the article is less than truthful when portraying Pauls efforts on the murder morning. It leaves Lechmere out of the proceedings after having left the body, and the inquest testimony proves this wrong. Very clearly, Pauls role is much exaggerated in Lloyds, and so it cannot be used to prove that Paul told Mizen that he thought Nichols was dead.

We instead need to turn to the inquest proceedings to get as clear a picture as possible, and we already know that Lechmere makes a claim in the Echo that he himself AND Paul informed Mizen about how he thought that Nichols was dead. However, since Lechmere is under suspicion of being the killer and since there are numerous discrepancies between what he and other involved parties reported the matter, it cannot be taken as a truth that Paul made the claim of death.

Certainly, a number of factors militate against such a suggestion; Paul said that he felt Nichols breathe, for example, and dead people do not breathe. So why would he say that Nichols was dead if he had felt her breathe? It is quite a riddle! Furthermore, PC Mizen says throughout that ONE man spoke to him, not two men. And that man was Charles Lechmere, not Robert Paul. The coroner even has to remind Mizen about Pauls presence before he gets around to acknowledging it! Therefore, PC Mizen can of course not be used as a source for establishing that Paul told him that he thought that Nichols was dead. His testiminy seems to tell us that Paul never said a iot to him at all.

Our last port of call is therefore Paul himself, and what he said at the inquest. And that boils down to how Paul says that he and Lechmere walked to Bakers Row, where they found Mizen and told him what they had seen (or, in some version, what they had discovered).

Although some will have it that the reports where Paul says ” we told him what we had seen” must mean that both med spoke to Mizen, this is not true. As I have pointed out numerous times, any member of an entity of people may say ”we” although he himself has had no part in the practical measures. One example would be if a man says ”Me and my wife drove over to my father-in-law´s place and made him supper”, it does not have to mean that both the man and his wife actively cooked together. It may well be that the woman alone did it. Another example is if a pupil from a school class says ”We handed our teacher a box of chocolate”. That will not mean that the handing process was repeated throaty-odd times, or that all pupils held on to the chocolate box as it was handed over.

To boot, what Paul says is NOT ”We told the PC that we thought that the woman was dead.” It is only about telling Mizen about ”what they had seen”, nothing more than that. And if we look at Pauyls testiminy as quoted in the Daily News, it looks like this:

He and the man examined the body, and he felt sure he detected faint indications of breathing. the body was partly warm, though it was a chilly morning. He and the man discussed what was best to be done, and they decided that they ought to acquaint the first policeman they met with what they had discovered.

To me, that does emphatically NOT seem to speak of a man who was going to tell a PC that he had found a dead woman. It sounds much more like a man who is going to say that the woman was warm and breathing.

So there we are, I find that Steve Blomer is misrepresenting the evidence and presenting a personal take of his own as a fact - that he accuses me of ”underplaying”. But why would I NOT fail to acknowledge that Paul told Mizen that he thought that Nichols was dead - when I don’t think he ever did?

I would very much like for as many posters as possible to give their respective views on the matter. But I would most of all like for Steve Blomer to explain himself. It is mainly his responsibility to try and straighten this out, not least since he has claimed something that is not a fact for a fact - and allowed it to be instrumental in describing my take on things as ”dodgy”.

So far, Steve has avoided the question. I hope he will make his stance this time so that we can clear the matter up.

Comment

• If it is not proven that Paul made the statement,it is possible to believe that he did.I see no problem.Paul may very well have made what appears a contradiction.Nichols was either dead or drunk,but as we know she was probably dead,Pauls observation that it was one of the conditions,is sound.
      Proof,of the kind you want Fisherman,is not to be had.

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
        If it is not proven that Paul made the statement,it is possible to believe that he did.I see no problem.Paul may very well have made what appears a contradiction.Nichols was either dead or drunk,but as we know she was probably dead,Pauls observation that it was one of the conditions,is sound.
        Proof,of the kind you want Fisherman,is not to be had.
        To my mind, the problem only arises when somebody claims for a fact that Paul did inform Mizen that Nichols was dead. It is one thing to, as you put it, believe that he did, but quite another to claim it for a fact. As you say, it is not proven that Paul made the statement.

I don´t know what kind if proof it is that you claim I want, Harry. The whole point I am making here is the exact opposite: no proof is there, and so Steve Blomer has no ground to claim for a proven fact that Paul informed Mizen anything at all, let alone that Nichols was dead.
        Last edited by Fisherman; 10-21-2021, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Going slightly off topic - when Paul suggested sitting the woman up and, if Lechmere had already stabbed her and she was on the brink of death, it would make sense for Lechmere to suggest locating a policeman in an attempt to distract Paul from wanting to move the woman. I also wonder whether Paul took off in front of Lechmere - Lechmere slits Polly's throat - then he catches Paul up and they see Mizen. Lechmere knew for certain the woman was dead then but at the inquest he used Paul as the speaker of these words.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenway View Post

How was his behaviour aggressive?
            I think Lechmere's behaviour when seeing Paul approach was rather strange - if not aggressive. On seeing Paul he displayed no sense of urgency or verbal shock or surprise at finding a woman on the ground but quietly confronted Paul by touching him on his shoulder (so was either level with him or Paul had already passed him as it's unlikely that he would touch him while being face to face). Lechmere seems to me to be rather cool, calm and collected considering the circumstances ....
            Last edited by Great Aunt; 10-21-2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Great Aunt View Post

if Lechmere had already stabbed her and she was on the brink of death, it would make sense for Lechmere to suggest locating a policeman in an attempt to distract Paul from wanting to move the woman.

Gotcha!

If he didn't want Paul to move the woman then why he brought him to her at the first place?!

Inconsistency is what this misguided theory all about.

Of course you can believe whatever you want, the problem only starts when you think it is a convincing argument.

The Baron

Comment

• Originally posted by The Baron View Post

Gotcha!

If he didn't want Paul to move the woman then why he brought him to her at the first place?!

Of course you can believe whatever you want, the problem only starts when you think it is a convincing argument.

The Baron
                I give up ..... you tell me!

Comment

On seeing Paul he displayed no sense of urgency or verbal shock or surprise at finding a woman on the ground...
                  Why should he? It was Whitechapel at 3:45 a.m.

Comment

I think Lechmere's behaviour when seeing Paul approach was rather strange - if not aggressive. On seeing Paul he displayed no sense of urgency or verbal shock or surprise at finding a woman on the ground but quietly confronted Paul by touching him on his shoulder (so was either level with him or Paul had already passed him as it's unlikely that he would touch him while being face to face). Lechmere seems to me to be rather cool, calm and collected considering the circumstances ....
                    Did you expect Lechmere to be screaming like a banshee and clutching his pearls because he saw a woman lying in the street? They didn’t know she was murdered, let alone gruesomely mutilated. She could’ve been just been another drunk sleeping in the gutter. It was a rough part of the East End. Also, Lechmere probably wanted to approach the situation cautiously seeing as he didn’t know Paul or his intentions.

Comment

Gotcha!

The Baron
                      I think we must look at what Lechmere did in the role as the killer as something that he made up as he went along. one thing gave the other and it would have been a game of adjusting as best as he could. For example, one could reason that he would not lie to Mizen since he would be found out at the inquest - but when he lied to the PC, it would have been the one and only thing he could do at that stage if he wanted to circumvent the police. Once he found himself at the inquest, he needed to deny the lie and get away with it, and if he was the killer (and just between you and me, he must have been) this was just what he did.

The idea that a killer will always have all possibilities covered from the outset is not a sound one. Heaps of them have stood before inquests and trials and lied; "It was not me!", although their intentions from the outset did not involve appearing at inquests and trials.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post

Did you expect Lechmere to be screaming like a banshee and clutching his pearls because he saw a woman lying in the street? They didn’t know she was murdered, let alone gruesomely mutilated. She could’ve been just been another drunk sleeping in the gutter. It was a rough part of the East End. Also, Lechmere probably wanted to approach the situation cautiously seeing as he didn’t know Paul or his intentions.
                        Many people, involving Edward Stow, who has the perhaps best and most far-reaching knowledge of the case, is of the meaning that the exchange between Lechmere and Paul did not seem quite right. That does not mean that Edward - and a fair few others who are of the same meaning - predispose that the raman would scream like a banshee and clutch his pearls.
                        Maybe you need to extend a little more respect to your fellow posters, Harry?

Comment

• Even if he thought there may have been a slight pulse I reckon by the time they found Mizen, Paul probably suggested 'maybe dead' because he simply couldn't be sure and wanted to convey the urgency of the matter. I don't see a grand conspiracy here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meet Ze Monster View Post
                            Even if he thought there may have been a slight pulse I reckon by the time they found Mizen, Paul probably suggested 'maybe dead' because he simply couldn't be sure and wanted to convey the urgency of the matter. I don't see a grand conspiracy here.
                            As I said before, if somebody takes it upon him- or herself to claim that the evidence proves that Robert Paul told PC Mizen that he thought that Nichols was dead, then that somebody is misrepresenting the facts.

The problem is, if Paul DID tell Mizen that he thought that Nichols was dead, then that cements a scenario in which Lechmere could not have lied to Mizen with Paul out of earshot. If we were to accept that for a fact, it would alter the conditions of the case markedly. And so. claiming it for a fact needs proof - and that proof is not there.

If instead Lechmere and Lechmere only spoke to Mizen - and this is the picture given by the PC - things end up in a very different light.

The detail to keep track of is that Lechmere disagrees not only with Mizen but also with Paul. So he is the one person who disagrees with both of the other actors in the Bucks Row drama. And that is something that needs to be considered with some measure of suspicion. If Paul had testified that Lechmere first declined to help him prop Nichols up and then suggested that the two should instead go in search of a PC, things would all be in good order.

But things seem never to be in good order when the carman testifies. For some reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

I think we must look at what Lechmere did in the role as the killer as something that he made up as he went along. one thing gave the other and it would have been a game of adjusting as best as he could. For example, one could reason that he would not lie to Mizen since he would be found out at the inquest - but when he lied to the PC, it would have been the one and only thing he could do at that stage if he wanted to circumvent the police. Once he found himself at the inquest, he needed to deny the lie and get away with it, and if he was the killer (and just between you and me, he must have been) this was just what he did.

Are you seriously trying your things on me?!

The Baron

Comment

Are you seriously trying your things on me?!

The Baron
                                No, with you I am never fully serious.

Comment

Working...
                                X