LeGrand conspiracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Phil,

Not all of these are OUR Charles Le Grand. There was like seven men using that alias.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the reply Tom..I would be interested to see the differing Le Grands, Nelson's etc..

1) How does one differentiate between them without the age stated in the conviction records?

2) More pertinently, is THE Charles Le Grand the same as Charles Dubois?.. if he is..

3) Is Christian Nelson convicted in 1877 the same as THE Charles Le Grand?

4) Is the conviction for Charles Le Grand in 1887 one for THE Charles Le Grand?

You see, the common link between every one of the entries I have posted, is the crime. Larceny and receiving. So if there were as many as 7 different people as you say using the same aliases, it is quite a feat that the same crimes were involved. Also, we are in dire need of separating them for historical purposes, are we not? Perhaps you have done this already? I am not yet including any Grandy/Grundy/Briscony/Anderson/Grant/ Charles Colnette Grandy crime register entries.

best wishes

Phil
      Last edited by Phil Carter; 07-14-2011, 06:42 AM.
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

Obviously we have to clear this out.
        Until now we assumed that Le Grand got factually imprisoned for 7 years in 1877, as he was wanted in the London Police Gazzette in 1884 for failing to appear for parole.
        Either the Le Grand-Dubois is another individual, or Le Grand got out of prison previously to 1779. Clearly we need to check the years 1878-79 for prison releases.
        Debs has plenty of info about a couple other criminals with the con-name Grand. (Still, I don't think any of them spotted the first name Charles.)

To Phil Carter's questions:
        1) We gotta research release dates and hope for some data. I'm sure Debs will have more research ideas.
        2) Needs to be researched. I'll look in Paris, just in case.
        3) Most probably, because the age, the physical description, and the photo vs. sketch fit.
        4) Needs to be researched.

Might I inquire where you've got these sources you've kindly posted, and if online?
        Last edited by mariab; 07-14-2011, 07:03 AM.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Hi Phil. For starters, Le Grand was in prison from 1877 to 1884, which would have made it difficult for him to have stood trial as Charles Dubois in 1879.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
            You see, the common link between every one of the entries I have posted, is the crime. Larceny and receiving. So if there were as many as 7 different people as you say using the same aliases, it is quite a feat that the same crimes were involved. Also, we are in dire need of separating them for historical purposes, are we not? Perhaps you have done this already? I am not yet including any Grandy/Grundy/Briscony/Anderson/Grant/ Charles Colnette Grandy crime register entries.
            Larceny was a very common offense at the time.
            There was no “Grundy“.
            If you happen to spot any Anderson criminals around 1915, it would be of interest, as I've got a hint from the Paris criminal archives for such a suspect having been under police surveillance in BOTH London and Paris in November 1915. I'll look in the London Police Gazzette for the entire year 1915, but I can't do it before mid August. Anyone willing to research this first is welcome.
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I quote you if I may..

...For starters, Le Grand was in prison from 1877 to 1884
              Now unless you know and can show us otherwise.. I presume he (CLG) was in prison under that name, Charles Le Grand... if he was, Christian Nelson, imprisoned in the same year (1877) for the same period of time, for the same offence, ISN'T the same person as the Le Grand you say was imprisoned.

Which leads me to the next point. The Charles Le Grand/Charles Dubois conviction clearly states his alias. The Christian Nelson conviction, if this conviction WAS Charles Le Grand, doesn't.
              which leads me to Maria's answers..

Hello Maria,

Thanks for the reply.

In answer No.3 you state that Christian Nelson convicted in 1877 IS Charles Le Grand. Where in Nelson's record is this recorded?

In answer to No.4, do we know where THE Charles Le Grand was at this time (May 1887-Jan 1888) if this is NOT THE Charles Le Grand?

In answer to your question. The entries are all found online, courtesy of the Ancestry site under Criminal Registers 1791-1892.

best wishes and thank you again both, for your answers.

Phil
              Last edited by Phil Carter; 07-14-2011, 07:16 AM.
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
                Larceny was a very common offense at the time.
                There was no “Grundy“.
                Hello Maria,

I am aware of the fact that larceny was a common offence, but the same people using the same aliases committing the same crime isn't very common. Especially such a foreign sounding name.. "Le Grand"

Re Grundy.. yes there was. But as yet no known alias as yet of Le Grand/Nelson/Neilson/ ad nauseum.

best wishes

Phil
                Last edited by Phil Carter; 07-14-2011, 07:18 AM.
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Phil, thank you so much for your important contribution.
                  the same people using the same aliases committing the same crime isn't very common. Especially such a foreign sounding name.. "Le Grand"
                  Re Grundy.. yes there was. But as yet no known alias as yet of Le Grand/Nelson/Neilson/ ad nauseum.
                  Phil, incidentally “Le Grand“ was a very common French name in the 19th century (and earlier), and clearly, according to Debs' evidence, a very common con-name for criminals pretending to be French. Even Ostrog used this specific con-name (as Grant). Also I've found several Charles Le Grands in the French criminal records, all indicted for extortion, and I'll research them further when I get back to Paris.
                  Could you elaborate about Grundy?
                  Briscony I've always suspected is a play on the Italian word briccone, which is a colloquial expression meaning “thug“, as it's not a common British name, apparently. Briccone was used super frequently and internationally in the 18th/19th century. Kinda like capisce, gumarra today. It's one of Le Grand's earlier con-names.

Anderson might be relevant, as he appears to have been an important suspect in both London and Paris in the fall of 1915. I've got a French police report referring to him in unusual secrecy and urgency. (Though it should be reminded that Le Grand, if out of prison, was not a young man anymore in 1915.) Still, I'd be eternally thankful if you kept an eye out for any Anderson releases/mentions in Ancestry police registers, if you happen to look around again?

Christian Nelson, imprisoned in the same year (1877) for the same period of time, for the same offence, ISN'T the same person as the Le Grand you say was imprisoned. Which leads me to the next point. The Charles Le Grand/Charles Dubois conviction clearly states his alias. The Christian Nelson conviction, if this conviction WAS Charles Le Grand, doesn't.
                  It's not as simple as this. Please don't forget the fact that Christian Nelson's photograph matches Charles Le Grand's sketch, plus see the evidence from the Old Bailey proceedings below. The Dubois coincidence can be easily explained by an earlier release - then a re-capture until 1884. We really gotta check releases in 1878-79, perhaps the London Police Gazzette too...

In answer No.3 you state that Christian Nelson convicted in 1877 IS Charles Le Grand. Where in Nelson's record is this recorded?
                  It'd be ideal if Debs and Tom presented the information on this, since they have all the sources available. Mostly it boils down to the 1891 Old Bailey trial, where Le Grand was found “not guilty“ of being Christian Neilson.YET:
                  http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=def1-27-18911116&div=t18911116-27&terms=Charles#highlight

(The comments in {} and the enhancing are my additions.)
                  He was further charged with having been convicted of felony on 9th July, 1877, at the Guildhall, Westminster, to which he pleaded NOT GUILTY. {Under the name Christian Neilson.}
                  GEORGE HEWLETT: I was formerly in the D division of Police—on 9th July, 1877, I was at the Sessions of the Peace at the Guildhall, Westminster—I produce a certificate of the conviction of Christian Neilson (This was a certificate of conviction of stealing and receiving, after a previous conviction—Sentence, Eight Years Penal Servitude and Seven Years' Police Supervision)—the prisoner is the man.
                  Cross-examined: I am not in the Police now; I retired last May—I have not seen the prisoner since July, 1877, till about a month ago—there is a photo of him here—don't know whether the warder is here.—I don't know when the prisoner came out of prison—I think he was convicted at this Court in June, 1889, but I don't know it.
                  Re-examined: I have no doubt that he is the man who was convicted in 1877.
                  THEODORE BARTELLS (Detective Sergeant): On 6th May, 1884, a prisoner who was released on ticket-of-leave reported himself to me—the prisoner is that man—he reported himself in the name of Christian Neilson—I saw him again in Holloway Prison, after his arrest on this charge—I did not know him before.
                  Cross-examined: He only reported himself on his release, not afterwards—I did not make inquiry for him—I have heard that in 1889 he was corresponding with Inspector Wybrow—when he reported himself I was furnished with this document containing his photo, with a description of marks, and so on, in the usual way.
                  NOT GUILTY.

You can also peruse the old thread Le Grand from the Strand at the JTRForums, but it contains some not updated/corrected information.

In answer to No.4, do we know where THE Charles Le Grand was at this time (May 1887-Jan 1888) if this is NOT THE Charles Le Grand?
                  Since you apparently just discovered the 1886 conviction for larceny (and congrats for this!), we need to research it. But it may very well be him, since we don't have his traces for the entire year 1886, if I'm not missing information. In 1887 he wrote a letter to the Police from London, and in the fall of 1888 he was reportedly with the WVC and on Berner Street. :-)
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

Phil, I didn't quite made clear that “Charles Le Grand“ is a later con-name than Christian Neilson/Nelson, followed by “Christian Briscony“.
                    I'm researching Danish diplomats stationed in England and France with similar names as Nielsen in the hope of identifying his alleged diplomat father. (I've got all relevant diplomats/secretaries/attachés in a xerox copy from a Danish lexicon of diplomats.)
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

Hi Phil, all
                      Just a quick one as it will take some time to write a comprehensive post about this I think.
                      These entries have been posted and discussed by myself, Chris Scott, Livia Trivia at various times on JTRforums.
                      The 1886 and 1887 entries are for a different Charles Le Grand I personally think. I will post the relevant details and thinking behind my conclusion when I get more time later today as I will have to dig out some newspaper reports I saved.
                      Basically, 'our' Le Grand was on trial for assaulting a prostitute in March 1887, the Charles Le Grand referred to in these Criminal Register entries was still serving a 6 month sentence at that time.

The 1878 one is a bit different and has been previously written off by me because of the Christian Nelson imprisonment 1877-84.

Comment

To make it quicker, here's a link to one of the threads discussing this 86 and 87 conviction (the newspaper article I posted at the end of the thread confirms the two convictions were by the same man in both cases)

This Charles Le Grand was convicted in November 1886 and sentenced to 6 months imprisonment, a sentence which had to be served in full as it was an imprisonment sentence and so remission did not apply, that only applied to sentences of penal servitude.
                        'Our' Le Grand appeared in the magistrates courts in March 1887, only four months later, on charges of assault.

Comment

Wow! I wasn't even aware that they even spotted the same first name (as in Charles)... I wish I'd known this yesterday.
                          Thank you so much for the information, Debs.
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

Hi Debs, all,

Thanks you for your imput, and I indeed look forward to the explanations behind the thoughts.I have seen the 2nd posting and read the postings on the forums... I am a bit slow on the uptake, my apologies...which is why I am mostly concentrating (here in this posting) on the 1877 and 1879 convictions.

The 1877 entry and the 1879 entry are, as you say, a bit different.

The points I am trying to establish here are many fold.

1) We need a comprehensive list of all known "Le Grand/Le Grande/Nelson/Neilson/ etc etc" convictions in a timeline, which clearly distinguishes between all names and all aliases, because the 1877 Charles Nelson conviction, for the same time line as a Le Grand conviction, referred to 30 odd years later as the same man needs either differentiating or confirming as either both the same man and conviction or two different ones.

2) The conviction in 1877 for Charles Nelson is a recorded factual document (criminal register). I would like to see something from that time i.e. 1877 or release in or before 1884 that shows Charles Nelson was in fact Charles Le Grand.
                            Either as the alias used, doesn't matter. Evidence 30 years later is fine, but not contemporary.

3) The 1879 Dubois/Le Grand conviction shows a consecutive sentence being served does it not? Perhaps I am mistaken here? Does that mean the man could be standing trial for an offence whilst already in prison, i.e. recalled to stand trial for another offence?
                            If I however am not mistaken, then it raises questions about just whom Charles Le Grand was in 1877, i.e. was he Charles Nelson or not?

4) There is an enormous problem in relation to just how many people had what alias. Maria pointed out that there were many called Le Grand, and cited French records.. but that wasn't my point. In LONDON, or in ENGLAND, there weren't many calling themselves Nelson AND Le Grande at the same time, with convictions for the same offence. Now Tom has pointed out there were 7 (SEVEN) different "Le Grands"... and I would like to see all these 7 Le Grands with all their different convictions, and all their aliases.

5) My final point is clarity. There are questions from before as to whether Charles Le Grand was or wasn't Christian Nelson (which you Debs pointed out to Tom in a previous post). I posted convictions from...

1877 (Christian Nelson- 7/8 Years- 9th July 1877-8th jUly 1884/5)
                            Larceny and receiving after a previous conviction.

1879 (Charles Le Grande/Charles Dubois 2 months-3rd April 1879 and another felony running consecutively),
                            Larceny after previous conviction for similar offence

1886 (Charles Le Grand- 6 months- 1st Nov 1886-1st May 1887)
                            Larceny

1887 (Charles Le Grande- 8 months- 23rd May to 22nd January 1888)
                            Larceny and receiving (twice)

1891 (Charles Grande- 20 years- 16th Nov 1891-15th Nov 1911).
                            Sending letter demanding money with menaces.

I can find no record in the criminal registers of any conviction of Charles Le Grand assaulting a prostitute in May 1887.. I will ferret around again just in case and double check, under all aliases. Unless any of you have this perhaps?

I must add here that normally, I am one who DOES rely on newspaper articles for facts.. but I must say when there is no OFFICIAL record in the Criminal registers for all of the supposed convictions for THE Charles Le Grand, and at the same time the official records (such as 1877-Nelson) show no alias given, yet does have an alias for a Charles Le Grande in 1879 (Dubois), together with a consecutive sentence, then I humbly suggest this needs thoroughly sorting out, because, it must be said, without concrete proof of whom was whom at any given time, one could easily "fit" a name to a historically correct record, and pass it off as fact-or vice-versa.

So I suggest a timeline, as above, of THE Charles Le Grand is in order and the definitive weeding away and re-bracketing of all other "Le Grands" etc so we actually know who is who at any given moment in time.

I appreciate fully and immensely your previous and ongoing efforts, together with Tom's, Maria's, Robs, Livia's, Chris Scott's and anyone I have forgotten temporarily.

There is clearly confusion when Maria says one thing, Tom says another, you Debs say another etc.. no offence to anyone intended in the least... I am normally the one that is the most confused with names of all of us here!

Hope you are all having a "grand" day... pardon the pun.

best wishes

Phil
                            Last edited by Phil Carter; 07-14-2011, 01:31 PM.
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello Maria,

Sorry, but I cannot help you re. Anderson anno 1915, as the Criminal registers online from Ancestry only go up to 1892.

Re. Grundy, I was searching through he records (above) and came across another name (Grundy) which caught my eye, as I was thinking of the nick-name/alias "Grandy". I am currently looking through those records as well. Probably a totally different man. I will be concentrating on the online things for a good while now the rest of the day, sp please excuse me if I do not reply to any more postings straight away. Thank you.

Oh.. and Re. "Neilson from Wealdstone"- I have been unable to trace anything in the Criminal records under this name either so far.

best wishes

Phil
                              Last edited by Phil Carter; 07-14-2011, 01:47 PM.
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

I can find no record in the criminal registers of any conviction of Charles Le Grand assaulting a prostitute in May 1887.. I will ferret around again just in case and double check, under all aliases. Unless any of you have this perhaps?

I must add here that normally, I am one who DOES rely on newspaper articles for facts.. but I must say when there is no OFFICIAL record in the Criminal registers for all of the supposed convictions for THE Charles Le Grand, and at the same time the official records (such as 1877-Nelson) show no alias given, yet does have an alias for a Charles Le Grande in 1879 (Dubois), together with a consecutive sentence, then I humbly suggest this needs thoroughly sorting out, because, it must be said, without concrete proof of whom was whom at any given time, one could easily "fit" a name to a historically correct record, and pass it off as fact-or vice-versa.
                                Le Grand's 1887 conviction (he received a fine) was at the Marlborough Street magistrates court and recorded in the court sessions in the newspapers in March 1887. A man named John Tyrell or Tysell was also later convicted in connection with the same case.
                                If the LMA holds the court sessions records for Malborough, as it does for other court sessions, then the official record would be there there. In this case, sessions reporting of criminal cases is hardly newspaper gossip!

How do we know this is the same Le Grand? Because Amelia Demay's name is also mentioned in the 1887 case. Le Grand and Demay went on to be convicted of conspiracy to blackmail Dr. Malcolm Alexander Morris in 1889 and were both given custodial sentences. Le grand's sentence (originally recorded as 5 years penal servitude) was later changed to an imprisonment sentence of 2 years through a legal technicality, reported at the time.

This 1889 case is then reported at Le Grand's 1891 Old Bailey trial as a previous conviction of Le Grand's, and proven as such.

Consider that a conviction as Charles Dubois' is never mentioned at any of Le Grand's trials. And previous convictions were sought out and used at trial to determine the length sentence given. Maybe that tells us something?

I think the 86 and 87 case is someone else, as I have said. I am under the impression (through reading several law books on the subject over the years) that no one could be released from an imprisonment sentence early. I am prepared to be corrected on that if I am wrong though.

Comment

Working...
                                X