X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gene Lewis View Post
    Hi all,
    What does it mean, actually ? Is there a press embargo or something ?
    No, the publisher simply isn't releasing it here (Australia) until then. Could get it online from the UK, but the delivery time would mean it arriving at about the same time. Of course, you could pay megabucks to get it couriered.

It's not worth that though.
    Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

• Originally posted by Amanda View Post
      Hi John,
      Absolutely, I've been lurking in the background for the past 5 years & only felt the urge to join here last week.
      This case has certainly caused a few heckles to rise but it's a really good debate.

I've learned so much in just the past 24 hours, from DNA to police beats, there are some fantastic posts on here & I feel really grateful that so many knowledgable Ripperologists are willing to share.

I for one have a lot to thank 'Shawlgate' for & will still be here for the next big debate, whether it be 'The Amos Files' the 'Colney Hatch Saga' or heaven forbid the 'Mary Kelly Tapes' !

Amanda
      Thanks for reply Amanda. I've read your post and they have all been of a very high quality.

Enjoying my time on the Board and would agree with you about how willing to share so many knowledgeable people are. However, i sometimes feel Ripperology is 2 steps forward and one step back- or should that be one step forward and 2 steps back!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gene Lewis View Post
        Hi all,
        What does it mean, actually ? Is there a press embargo or something ?
        I've read somewhere that its some sort of anniversary.

I suspect the publishers have a rather sound strategy.
        Create substantial press excitement while only allowing a limited market release, build upon that media interest and use it to invigorate pre-sales in larger markets, then get the author to perform his thrilling verbal tightrope act at the usual big tented print and tele-visual media circus outlets.
        https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/flag_uk.gif "I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire: God wouldn't trust an Englishman in the dark."

Comment

• Isn't Sept 30 St Micheal's day or something?
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
            Isn't Sept 30 St Micheal's day or something?
            Is it not the anniversary of the double event?

Comment

• Originally posted by wolfie1 View Post
              What double event?
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

29 September new system. 11 (a few say 10th) October old system.

Old system went out officially in 1752 but continued as an important date well into 19th century when known as 'Old Michaelmas Day'

Cannot imagine why Edwards sees it as important for his case, especially not for a Russian Jew.
                Mick Reed

Comment

On the Julian calender, so I understand.
                  https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/flag_uk.gif "I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire: God wouldn't trust an Englishman in the dark."

Comment

What double event?

Ha, Ha, quite a strategic move of the publishers. Big announcement on Anniversary of Eddowes murder as her murderer is finally revealed!!

Comment

• Originally posted by mickreed View Post
                      29 September new system. 11 (a few say 10th) October old system.

Old system went out officially in 1752 but continued as an important date well into 19th century when known as 'Old Michaelmas Day'

Cannot imagine why Edwards sees it as important for his case, especially not for a Russian Jew.
                      G'day Mick

From what I've been told and read he clams that Eddowes was killed on one version {English I think] and Kelly on another [maybe Russian] and the "shawl" with its daises was a clue of some sort. Even though MJK was killed one day late.

To be honest I get confused just trying to follow his reasoning on that aspect.
                      G U T

Comment

Ha, Ha, quite a strategic move of the publishers. Big announcement on Anniversary of Eddowes murder as her murderer is finally revealed!!
                        If it was the date for that reason.
                        G U T

Comment

• Too kind..

Originally posted by John G View Post
                          Thanks for reply Amanda. I've read your post and they have all been of a very high quality.

Enjoying my time on the Board and would agree with you about how willing to share so many knowledgeable people are. However, i sometimes feel Ripperology is 2 steps forward and one step back- or should that be one step forward and 2 steps back!
                          Thanks John.
                          Appreciate you reading my posts, tried to make some valid points but think a few got overlooked during the DNA saga...

For me personally, I quite enjoy trying to eliminate suspects based on historical facts of their whereabouts rather than proving their guilt. Have managed to rule out quite a few already.

Where do you think this whole Edwards/Shawl affair will end up? (Apart from the waste paper basket!)
                          Amanda

Comment

G'day Mick

From what I've been told and read he clams that Eddowes was killed on one version {English I think] and Kelly on another [maybe Russian] and the "shawl" with its daises was a clue of some sort. Even though MJK was killed one day late.

To be honest I get confused just trying to follow his reasoning on that aspect.
                            G'day GUT

I dispute the term 'reasoning'. I waxed lyrical (and no doubt boringly) elsewhere on this point, so won't again. Apparently he says in the book, that his wife couldn't follow his 'reasoning'.
                            Mick Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by Amanda View Post
                              I quite enjoy trying to eliminate suspects based on historical facts
                              Amanda
                              With that emphasis, you're unlikely to thrive in Ripperland Amanda.
                              Mick Reed

Comment

Well maybe; but actually it's Saint-Someone-found-a-shawl-in-Mitre-Square's day…
                                His man Bowyer
                                (Forgive my accent, I've been to France for a while…)

—————————————

Comment

Working...
                                X