X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for re-posting that.

Has it been firmly established that, prior to his admittance to Colney Hatch, Kosminski had been "subject to Police Supervision"?

Regards,

Simon
    Hi Simon,

No it hasn't been established. I assume that the Convict Supervision Office supervised "convicts" in asylums (and elsewhere?). I don't know whether they supervised "suspects"... but I always assumed the police may well have taken extraordinary measures in the Ripper case.

But, I am not sure what you mean by "prior to his admittance". Do you mean whether he was under surveillance?

RH

Comment

• Originally posted by robhouse View Post
      Hi Simon,

No it hasn't been established. I assume that the Convict Supervision Office supervised "convicts" in asylums (and elsewhere?). I don't know whether they supervised "suspects"... but I always assumed the police may well have taken extraordinary measures in the Ripper case.

But, I am not sure what you mean by "prior to his admittance". Do you mean whether he was under surveillance?

RH
      As far as we know, Kosminski had no previous, didn't serve time, so no, the Convict office would not monitor him.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by robhouse View Post
        In all likelihood, the idea came from Kozminski's asylum record, which indicated the "Supposed Cause" of insanity as "self abuse".

RH
        No mention of him going blind though !

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
          If you publish a suspect book via a mainstream publisher, then guess what?
          They will pretty much insist that it is presented as case closed and the definitive answer.
          Is anyone actually unaware of that?
          Can the author realistically be blamed for presenting his own case as definitive?
          Yes, because he could have independently published, like I and so many others have done, sparing us having to lie to our readers. However, I don't assume that Russell Edwards isn't as convinced as his book claims. But I'm perfectly aware of what other authors have had to go through with their books. Once upon a time that was necessary to get published, but not any more.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Has anyone read this; http://www.chinatopix.com/articles/9...the-ripper.htm ? They mentioned casebook
            “If I cannot bend heaven, I will raise hell.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
              No mention of him going blind though !
              But did he have hairy palms?
              There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

• Tom
                Your self published book is full of your own - in my opinion - contentious theories. Are you suggesting that everyone should self publish now to avoid being bossed around by the publisher?
                Are you also suggesting that the author of this book lied? If so about what?

Incidentally I think this site is attracting more new members than ever before. More people than ever before are going on guided tours. More are joining the Whitechapel Society and signing up for their Conference.
                That Russell Edwards is a real bastard isn't he? He has a lot to answer for.
                He's probably putting money in your pocket Tom through your book sales, and you are sharing your profits with a publisher.

Comment

• You weren't around in the glory days Ed,

Evans, Fido, Begg, Depp....oh those hazy crazy days.

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by mickreed View Post
                    Who knows, but I would think it unlikely. I imagine any self-respecting academic (and I have no doubt that Jari is that) would not embark on a project like this with his hands tied like that.

What we do know, direct from Jari, is that he only took the job on as a challenge to see what was possible. He did it in his spare time, but using hi employers laboratory. He involved friends of his in other institutions.

I doubt that Edwards could put a block on publication unless there had been some very loose dealings at the outset. It's possible that it could have been loose since Jari knew so little about JTR, but I doubt it.
                    Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    The book says that Dr Louhelainen agreed to do the work without being paid for his time, on the understanding that he would be able to write a scientific paper on it.
                    Thank you both.

I really hope he can publish and have these findings peer reviewed.

Comment

• Hi Lechmere,

Having now read Russell Edwards' book I don't think he was lying. Self-deluded, perhaps, but certainly not lying.

He follows the time-honoured tradition of all suspect-based Ripper books—brief intro, lay out the murders and then bolt the most unlikely of suspects onto the end. Job done. Case closed. Ker-ching!

And so it goes.

If you just wait a while another opportunist title will be along to keep the wheels of the Ripper industry turning and hordes of ill-informed tourists trudging at ten-quid-a-head around the schools, car parks and breweries of a Whitechapel which is eager to shrug off the past and get on with its life. It is sick to death of Jack the Ripper.

Tom's book shed new light on what has been a century of bullshit. Sure it is contentious, but I raise my hat to him for that. It comes as no surprise to learn that he did not [could not?] go with some short-sighted mainstream publisher.

Education rather than expoitation is the hallmark of a good Ripper book.

Who knows? Maybe one day you will write one of your own.

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Evening All ..

Ripper goggles & yoyo's !
                        How much are they then ?

On the more serious note of exploitation and financial gain regarding books , video , music, Plays , ect ect , .. I would like to add that 80% of my sales for my song "Foggy night in Spitalfields" ( a small tribute to the canonical 5 )goes directly to " Victims of Alcohol " and " Abused women shelter " . Its not a lot but it is something back

Cheers , Moonbegger .

Comment

• Originally posted by JadenCollins View Post
                          Has anyone read this; http://www.chinatopix.com/articles/9...the-ripper.htm ? They mentioned casebook
                          "It's also unclear is the scarf was ever owned by Eddowes. The scarf was only found at the crime scene."

LOL atleast the press is just as reliable as they were in 1888.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                            Tom
                            Your self published book is full of your own - in my opinion - contentious theories. Are you suggesting that everyone should self publish now to avoid being bossed around by the publisher?
                            Are you also suggesting that the author of this book lied? If so about what?

Incidentally I think this site is attracting more new members than ever before. More people than ever before are going on guided tours. More are joining the Whitechapel Society and signing up for their Conference.
                            He's probably putting money in your pocket Tom through your book sales, and you are sharing your profits with a publisher.
                            Self-published or no, I read Tom's book and found it well contructed, well written, well researched. It contained new ideas and new information, i.e. not a re-hash of what's been previously published by Skinner and Evans, Begg, Fido, et al. It appears as if Tom did some actual leg work, his own research, and presented the information. Tom's book was original in it's examination of the crimes. He made connections where none previously existed. In the end, I don't think he argued for a conclusion so much as he added to the discussion. Of course, this is not what you and your equally charming Lechmerian, Fisherman, are about.

I hope to take your Ripper tour when I'm in London next month. How shall I obtain tickets?

Comment

• Lechmere said,

"Incidentally I think this site is attracting more new members than ever before. More people than ever before are going on guided tours. More are joining the Whitechapel Society and signing up for their Conference.
                              He's probably putting money in your pocket Tom through your book sales, and you are sharing your profits with a publisher."

Well, I have to thank Tom for bringing me to the Casebook. I found his book on Amazon, bought it and then looking for more information found the Casebook and joined. All of this before the Edwards announcement. I personally want to thank Tom for his book. It was well done and unlike anything else I've read. I am not as familiar with all the books but I have read several. Some of which, the titles have long escaped me. But I do remember reading Cromwell and Knights book and like I said, several others, but Tom's was the best I've read yet. I'm sure there are some out there that may be as good or even better, but self-publishing is the future of books. It will have its problems (mainly editing) but it may put an end to having to leave important information out of a book because some editor thinks it's too long. Let the guy put in what he wants, if it's too long to read, the reader will be the one to decide to stop reading. Who hasn't started a book (even a well edited book) and not finished it? Who has ever bought a book and never read it? I personally think we all need to get used to the idea that the self-publishing is here to stay. It's the free-press, I've always wanted.

Comment

• forthcoming

Hello Chris. Thanks.

Then he has a paper forthcoming?

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X