No announcement yet.

The Jewish Standard Friday 14 November 1910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a bit out of my league on this one but is the A Abrahams at the bottom of the list worth a look at? Wasn't Aarons correct surname Abrahams? (according to the dog in Cheapside incident). Is that S. De. Jong a person?

Rob C

Comment

The whole family took the name Abrahams, including Aaron presumably. Still, I am not really sure if this person is worth investigating. Again, I seem to recall that there was perhaps a person named Abraham Abrahams... But presumably no relation to the Kozminskis. I think the last name Abrahams was fairly common.

Of course, Aaron's father was listed as Abraham Abrahams on some document or other... but this was never his real name, and he died in Russia.

RH

Comment

Thanks Rob.

Comment

No problem. It is indeed an interesting find, although I am leaning towards it being this Abraham Kozminski. But who knows.

Comment

Rob (C)

Just out of interest, were you able to look at the issues of the Jewish Standard for 1888? When I tried a while ago, the British Library's volume for that year was unfit for production.

Comment

Hi Chris,

They are on this website:

Search through 16,144 historic newspaper archives to do genealogy and family history. Find obituaries, marriage and birth announcements, and other local and national news for over 9.1 billion people!

I am on a 7 day trial option which I have cancelled as the site is a nightmare to use. They do have the papers from 1888 there. I can access some of the issues, but not all of them, most of them say members only. I can access some of the December issues. If there is anything in particular you want I can try and get it if you want.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                They are on this website:

Search through 16,144 historic newspaper archives to do genealogy and family history. Find obituaries, marriage and birth announcements, and other local and national news for over 9.1 billion people!

I am on a 7 day trial option which I have cancelled as the site is a nightmare to use. They do have the papers from 1888 there. I can access some of the issues, but not all of them, most of them say members only. I can access some of the December issues. If there is anything in particular you want I can try and get it if you want.
                Thanks. Really it was just the coverage of the murders I was interested in, particularly the anti-semitic scare during September. Maybe I'll give it a try some time, as the only alternatives to the British Library I've found so far are Oxford and Cambridge.

Comment

H.Bowman or H. Bauman ?

Nice find Rob and Chris,

Someone has kindly indicated Abraham Kosminski's death was certified by his brother-in-law, Henry Bowman.

I wonder if he is identical with the " H. Bauman" on this donors list herein?
                  This might tend towards the liklihood of the "A.Kosminki" being Abraham.

I noticed there was a "B.Belmont" on the list too.

The portability of surnames used by these law-abiding citizens is mind-boggling!

How do their families sort out the family tree two one hundred and forty years later?

JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnr View Post
                    Someone has kindly indicated Abraham Kosminski's death was certified by his brother-in-law, Henry Bowman.

That's well spotted. It may be that this is the same person as Henry Bowman, though in the references I've seen to him he is usually Bowman (and once Beauman). However, a previous researcher did apparently refer to him as "Bauman", so it may be the same man.

Comment

Nice find Rob and Chris,

I noticed there was a "B.Belmont" on the list too.

The portability of surnames used by these law-abiding citizens is mind-boggling!

How do their families sort out the family tree two one hundred and forty years later?

JOHN RUFFELS.
                      Well, I can tell you from experience, we 'sort out' our family with great difficulty. However, jewish naming conventions are actually all about the given names, not surnames. When I want to compare other Jewish family lines with my own it is a matter of comparing all given names at birth as per traditional Jewish given naming conventions. As we know surnames can be fluid over time with many changes and corruptions applied due to given historical circumstances.
                      My jewish family in London in Spitalfield at the time was known by several surnames both in census, birth, death documents, however after arriving in Australia the surnames was changed slightly on landing and was thereafter kept as such. But given names were not altered on documents, with the exception of pet names stated on family documents.

regards from the Colonies
                      Eileen

Comment

Thanks "Wolfie1" - (If that really Is your name)....

Thank you Eileen,
                        I was unaware of all that.

Though Anglo-Saxon family tree searchers usually get hints from the common forenames of the children.

I have frequently seen one or other of the three "Chris's" (if THAT is their real name...) on Casebook, get clues about subject families from the common use of forenames or Christian names.

JOHN RUFFELS ( and before you ask, YES IT IS).

Comment

Jewish naming convention

Thank you Eileen,
                          I was unaware of all that.

Though Anglo-Saxon family tree searchers usually get hints from the common forenames of the children.

I have frequently seen one or other of the three "Chris's" (if THAT is their real name...) on Casebook, get clues about subject families from the common use of forenames or Christian names.

JOHN RUFFELS ( and before you ask, YES IT IS).
                          Hello John,

My jewish ancestors were Ashkenazim jews and would not name children at birth after living relatives, yet Sephardic jews did name children born after still living family members as an honor to the living person.

yet it does make it easier to work out death of ancestors based on birth names of children, also birth order of female and males will influence what given name is attached to them, with paternal and maternal names swapping with each birth. This way I can draw up a family chart of at least given names, with approx year of deaths, even if surnames are not 100 accurate.
                          //www.jewishgen.org/sephardic/differ.HTM

regards
                          Eileen

Comment

This A Kosminski is undoubtedly Abrahm Kosminski who lived in Langdale Street

Comment

Is that the same Aaron Kosminski who, according to Elamarna, may have had a few drinks one Saturday evening, assaulted a prostitute, and shouted what was a well-known anti-Jewish slur at a man of obviously Jewish appearance who was passing by?

Strange that he should have been the kind of person who attended synagogue services.
                              Last edited by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1; 03-24-2023, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post
                                Is the same Aaron Kosminski who, according to Elamarna, may have had a few drinks one Saturday evening, assaulted a prostitute, and shouted what was a well-known anti-Jewish slur at a man of obviously Jewish appearance who was passing by?

Strange that he should have been the kind of person who attended synagogue services.
                                Well, for what it is worth -- The serial killer known as BTK was a Lutheran church deacon and president of the church council.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                                X