No announcement yet.

Did Aaron Kosminski wear a beard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we have to distinguish between schizofrenics in general and paranoid schizofrenics. The latter category can actually be quite aggressive and dangerous, something I've seen myself on numerous occasions simply because they see threats all around them.

It shall also be noted that violent, bizarre crimes committed by people suffering from autism (forget Rain Man) also is more common than what generally is perceived.

All the best
    The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Another thing to consider is that modern statistics of schizophrenics and crime are typically cases where a person has been diagnosed and entered the system for treatment with modern methods (drugs, typically). Schizophrenics a century back did not have the benefit of such treatment, so any modern studies are only going to go so far in making comparisons.

In general, schizophrenics as a whole are more likely to hurt themselves than others. I believe the study I found the last time I looked this up was that modern schizophrenics are somewhat more likely than an average person off the street to be violent towards others. Ones not undergoing treatment were even more so, but not to the extent of, say, psychopaths, people with demonstrated criminal histories, and so forth.

And, of course, even proper statistics can't tell us what did happen in some unknown case, only what is generally more likely. If we were to scientifically determine that one out of a billion people suddenly freak out and go around purposefully drowning people in their own homes (totally made up for example purposes, obviously), if we find someone dead in his or her bathtub, a homicidal aquasadist running around shouldn't be our first assumption over more natural explanations like accidental drowning or heart attack. On the other hand, there would still be about 13 people like that around the world, and even though they'd be statistically unlikely they would still exist somewhere.

Dan Norder
      Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
      Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Glenn and Dan

Cheers for reply. Sorry its taking me time to get back. I'm rather busy.

re: Glenn...I'm not certain about a line between schizophrenics and Paranoid schizophrenics? I've never met a schizophrenic than doesn't have paranoid tendencies...

As far as I'm aware the two go hand in hand..and thats coming from someone whose been up.... 'Jackobs Ladder'. Paranoia is a symptom of schizophrenia one of its fazes.

The problem is that the phenomena of schizophrenia is far ranging. Our understanding is limited. the term Schizophrenia encompasses a wide church of illnesses. It must be true that we cant be specific but only talk/reference in broad terms about this illness.

Of course I agree with everything Dan is saying...which is pretty much what my brother has told me. He cant give an exact diagnostic on Kosminski because of the time frame (modern drugs etc)

But Kosminski fits the pattern..thats what is important...not that he was the Ripper..

...simply that 'given what we know today' its a possibility that he was..

unlike say Tumbelty...who doesn't fit the pattern at all...

Pirate Jack

PS If you want to argue this out Glenn perhaps we should meet Sam on a welsh mountain side and eat mushrooms? Then tell him he's Welsh

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
          If you want to argue this out Glenn perhaps we should meet Sam on a welsh mountain side and eat mushrooms? Then tell him he's Welsh
          I'll gladly take you up on that, Jeff. Except inasmuch as I know that I'm Welsh already it sounds like a cool thing to do.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Jeff,

In your opinion, do you think that if Kosminski was the ripper he would have had the necessary temperament and control to wait on each occasion until he was safely alone with a victim before reaching for his knife and doing the deed?

In short, would it have been luck or good judgement, or a combination of both, that allowed him to kill that many times and get back to his base without mishap?

Love,

Caz
            X
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hi Caz

I have just come across your post..that show it works on casebook sometimes.

My opinion is that we need to totally re-think Kosminski.

Schitzophrenia is an illness. It hits the sufferer in waves over a long period, until final burn out..

A psychotic attack would take place and last three, four, maybe five months.

He might then return to normal (apparent normal) for several months before the illness hits again.

My brother (who is a psychologist) suggested that alcahol might make a huge differance...schitzophrenics who drink are dangerous...

And I believe that that BS man witnessed by Schwartz was Aaron Kosminski.

Schitzophrenics placed in an asylum are usually not dangerous, Kosminski's records being consistent with what you would expect if Aaron were the Ripper.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for responding.

Just to clarify - you don't think there would be any other obvious warning signs for the victims, if they had encountered a possibly tanked-up Aaron and gone with him to a dark corner? And nobody seeing him on his way back to base afterwards would have witnessed any alarming behaviour at all?

I'm just trying to see him in "light switch" mode, where he can switch 'Jack' on and off at the appropriate moments, sufficiently well to fool his victims beforehand and ensure his security immediately afterwards.

Could he keep his 'Aaron' and his 'Jack' in separate compartments, during a psychotic period?

Love,

Caz
                X
                Last edited by caz; 05-21-2008, 02:01 PM. Reason: faffing about a bit with my wording as usual
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                  Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for responding.

Just to clarify - you don't think there would be any other obvious warning signs for the victims, if they had encountered a possibly tanked-up Aaron and gone with him to a dark corner? And nobody seeing him on his way back to base afterwards would have witnessed any alarming behaviour at all?

I'm just trying to see him in "light switch" mode, where he can switch 'Jack' on and off at the appropriate moments, sufficiently well to fool his victims beforehand and ensure his security immediately afterwards.

Could he keep his 'Aaron' and his 'Jack' in separate compartments, during a psychotic period?

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  Hi Caz,
                  That you know is a truly important point you make.
                  Because one thing is certain,Jack seems to have been able to do precisely that.He managed somehow to never get so "carried away" as to be unable to snap back into sober mode when needed----and thereby ensure he wasnt caught.
                  To answer your question.I dont believe a person in the throws of psychosis could do that.But depending on what "his voices" were telling him to do,he may have been able to cold bloodedly murder and mutilate in a "pre-psychotic" state------but only a psychiatrist would know the answer to that I think.
                  Its very unusual indeed for someone of 23 to have schizophrenic breakdown resulting such a violent murders.The onset of real trouble is nearing 30 normally-that I did discover.I am sure there will be exceptions as there is with everything though.
                  Norma

Comment

Hi Nat and Caz

I'm trying to get my brother to put something together for Rob House on the subject.

I just know that Alcohol has a disproportional effect on schitzophrenics, unfortunately comparrisons cant be drawn exactly due to modern drugs

we need cases where these drugs havnt been used.

If Kosminski was the Ripper he was on the street for sometime before being locked up (well may have been) we jknow he was out walking his dog...

However he was obviously together enough to appear in court..

I need to run all the potencial time frames past bros,,including latest info.

But yes I think the possibility is that Kosminski and BS..are one of the same.

Jeff xx

Comment

Working...
                    X