No announcement yet.

Plausibility of Kosminski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm begining to think more about Kosminski as the Ripper after seeing the recent documentary.

Has the obvious been overlooked?

I don't know why I've never given him more serious attention before.

It should be very interesting to read the new book about him

Comment

• This is one Ripper book that i will certainly purchase, as Aaron Kosminski is my preferred suspect. Why has a Kosminski book taken this long to appear?; he is not the sexiest supect in Ripperology, not with Princes,surgeons, secret agents and genius artists slumming in the true-crime section. I am looking forward to Roy Hazelwood's contribution and I hope there is some new material in there.
      SCORPIO

Comment

• I think that's the problem. He's not a "glamourous "suspect.

Comment

• My last statement was supposed to be in the books thread
          Aaron's low marketability is still a valid point though. The utter mundanity of the man facilitates the crimes i believe.
          SCORPIO

Comment

• My problem with AK is surely by the time jtr's attention turned to MJK the word would have been out around the working girl community that AK was sinister to put it charitably thus massively reducing his chances of gaining admission to Millers Court. Just a thought.

Comment

• I'm not sure how anyone could have overlooked Kosminski as a suspect. His name has been knocking around for fifty years, at least. What I do find interesting is how anyone could get a whole book out of what we know about him. But then, I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as Rob. I look forward to reading his new book.

Comment

• I completely agree with The Grave Maurice here. Kozminski was most certainly not overlooked as a suspect, and the fact that he was mentioned by Macnaghten and Swanson makes him appear as a very legitimate suspect (along Tumblety and another suspect being researched currently).
                If Kozminsky was guilty of the Ripper crimes is a whole another matter. I'm looking forward to reading Rob House's results from his research in Poland and in London, still, from his recent interview in Examiner 7, I'm under the impression that he's come up with just suspicions, not tangible proof that Kozminski was followed by the police before he got incarcerated in an asylum.
                At least I'm looking forward to finding out the details about the precise time-frame and asylum, after so many years of debate.
                PS.: I've ordered the book from the US, so it'll take a couple weeks to arrive.
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                  I'm not sure how anyone could have overlooked Kosminski as a suspect. His name has been knocking around for fifty years, at least. What I do find interesting is how anyone could get a whole book out of what we know about him. But then, I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as Rob. I look forward to reading his new book.

I think thats the main reason we havent had a book before. It difficult to flesh out a book about a nonentity such as Kosminski. Cant wait to read the book.

Comment

• Personally, I have always discounted Kosminski because the story as it is known strikes me as wrong. And I cannot tell if it was because several bizarre decisions were made along the way during his life (ones that reason dictates would not be made), or if there are faulty recollections and records. Either could be true. But I look forward to any further insight into these mysteries. I could be convinced to change my mind.
                    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• Yes, Kosminski is certainly not new, but we never did learn why he was considered a suspect.
                      Was he ever seen near the crime?, are there any pictures of him in this new book?, was he known to wear a Pepper & Salt jacket, deerstalker hat, Astrakhan coat?

What?

I don't warm to theories that focus on insanity and nothing else.
                      I guess I'll need to read the book.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Yes, Kosminski is certainly not new, but we never did learn why he was considered a suspect.
                        Was he ever seen near the crime?, are there any pictures of him in this new book?, was he known to wear a Pepper & Salt jacket, deerstalker hat, Astrakhan coat?
                        What?
                        It’s interesting that what information we have on Kosminski comes from three men: Anderson, Swanson and Macnaghten, all Metropolitan Police officers. However, Kosminski was a City of London Police suspect and his connection with the Ripper murders seems to come solely, from what little we know, from the murder of Eddowes. In fact Macnaghten tells us that Kosminski “in appearance strongly resembled the individual seen by the City P.C. near Mitre Square.”

Whether there actually was a City Policeman witness (something I’m inclined to believe) or a confusion with Joseph Lawende, Joseph Levy or, as some suggest, Israel Schwartz, it appears that Kosminski, or someone who looked like him was seen with Eddowes on the night of her murder.

Wolf.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden View Post
                          However, Kosminski was a City of London Police suspect and his connection with the Ripper murders seems to come solely, from what little we know, from the murder of Eddowes. In fact Macnaghten tells us that Kosminski “in appearance strongly resembled the individual seen by the City P.C. near Mitre Square.”
                          Does the latter refer to Robert Sagar?
                          I'm interested to see if Rob House has found any tangible proof that Kozminski was under surveillance by the City of London Police prior to his getting incarcerated.
                          The same about the rumours about the Jewish witness (Joseph Lawende?) not willing to come forward. But the interview in Examiner 7 doesn't mention anything about such new evidence – which would have been a HUGE breakthrough.
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

• Originally posted by mariab View Post
                            Does the latter refer to Robert Sagar?
                            Sagar didn't claim to have seen anyone himself - his story concerned a suspect allegedly seen by another officer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              Sagar didn't claim to have seen anyone himself - his story concerned a suspect allegedly seen by another officer.
                              Oh, OK. Thank you for the information.
                              Best regards,
                              Maria

Comment

• Thank you Chris, for your contribution to this effort. I have ordered Rob's book and look forward to reading it.

I have always thought that this was part of a joint effort between the City Police and the Met Police with Swanson as the linchpin. The City Police provided the surveillance on several individuals and examined asylum records while the Met conducted the house to house interviews. Swanson used the combined information to set up ID attempts with Lawende as the witness to either confirm or deny any possible connection with a suspect.

Much emphasis has been placed upon Anderson (pro and con) by Ripperologists as to the veracity of Kozminski as a viable suspect... but they have overlooked the fact that Donald Swanson was the real man in charge and it was he who probably held the key to how all of this came down.
                                Best Wishes,
                                Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Working...
                                X