A closer look at George Hutchinson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

Fanny didnt actually see squat, so yes, she had no place at the Inquest. But Israel claimed to see the victim, and an assailant, in a tussle just before she is killed. Surely you can see where one story isnt relevant and one is.
    So it seems that it has been demonstrated that a witness can be believed by Abberline and not appear at the Inquest and that there is a valid reason for that.

Comment

• Mary Malcolm didn’t appear to be believed by Baxter and yet she testified.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Going back to Hutchinson...

Imagine he came forward within 24 hours of the murder...

....would he have then been called to the inquest?

Also, speaking of Hutchinson (and Schwartz)... if not one single researcher and historian can find either man after all this time; then would it be logical to conclude that...

...after they gave statements...

nobody could find them either?

Hutchinson (and Schwartz) appear to only exist in the context of the Ripper case, and outside of that they both dissappear from ALL records.

Not only that...but neither man can be found BEFORE the murder series either!.

There should be some documentation somewhere; a census return, a birth certificate, electoral rolls etc... that should flag up at least ONE of the 2 men.

But they are both Ghosts

Now we could use the excuse that we just don't know how to find them, but they're still there.

Absolute nonsense.

Someone out of all the thousands and thousands of people who have researched this case since 1888 MUST have found Hutchinson and Schwartz prior to the murders by now...but still...nothing.

There's your reason why neither Hutchinson or Schwartz were called to the inquest...

They both vanished.

And why?

Well false names for both almost certainly.

Of course, if you're looking for 2 men; master and apprentice, one dark haired Jewish look and the other fair moustache and grey eyes; then perhaps Hutchinson and Schwartz were BOTH involved with the murders.

Having fun with their "little games"

I repeat, If neither man has been found after all this time; then the police at the time couldn't find them either.

At some point the penny must have dropped for Abberley...he let Hutchinson go after believing his statement...and then when he couldn't find him...he must have realised he had been duped...

Kaiser Sosa style

Hence why the Inquest was a rushed botch job.

Did the Ripper sign off after killing Kelly and escape abroad, after coming forward as Hutchinson and playing the part of the helpful samaritan...and then just disappearing before anyone realised the Ripper had just played them?

Now that's the mark of a true psychopath

Conjecture of course, but it does explain a hell of a lot.

RD
        "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

• There's your reason why neither Hutchinson or Schwartz were called to the inquest...

They both vanished.

And why?

Well false names for both almost certainly.​

How did you go about eliminating every other possible reason to reach that conclusion, R.D?

Can you provide any details on how many individuals took place in the search, how it was conducted, what sources were reviewed and the length of time involved?

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post
            There's your reason why neither Hutchinson or Schwartz were called to the inquest...

They both vanished.
            Hi RD,

We know why Hutch wasn't called to the inquest. He gave his statement after the inquest, so at the time of the inquest, no one would have thought that he had anything to contribute to the inquest. It's unlikely he would have even been on anyone's radar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

Hi RD,

We know why Hutch wasn't called to the inquest. He gave his statement after the inquest, so at the time of the inquest, no one would have thought that he had anything to contribute to the inquest. It's unlikely he would have even been on anyone's radar.
              So he waits for the Inquest to be over...

...and then comes forward to give a statement to the police...

...after the inquest is all done and dusted.

And we can't find Hutchinson after the statement was given...

And we can't find Hutchinson BEFORE he came forward AFTER the inquest?

But because Abberline initially gives him the seal of approval; and Abberline is seen as some of heroic protagonist, we accept the judgement of an officer who ultimately failed in his endeavours to catch the Ripper.

Whomever Hutchinson was... he wasn't WHO he said he was.

RD

Comment

• But because Abberline initially gives him the seal of approval; and Abberline is seen as some of heroic protagonist, we accept the judgement of an officer who ultimately failed in his endeavours to catch the Ripper.

Correct me if I am wrong, R.D. but wouldn't that category also include every single individual involved in the case at the time? Wouldn't it also include every single modern researcher studying the case? And wouldn't it also include yourself?

Seems a very strange standard for assigning blame.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  But because Abberline initially gives him the seal of approval; and Abberline is seen as some of heroic protagonist, we accept the judgement of an officer who ultimately failed in his endeavours to catch the Ripper.

Correct me if I am wrong, R.D. but wouldn't that category also include every single individual involved in the case at the time? Wouldn't it also include every single modern researcher studying the case? And wouldn't it also include yourself?

Seems a very strange standard for assigning blame.

c.d.
                  In other words; IMO the only reason why Hutchinson's statement is ever considered even slightly viable; is because Abberline thought it so initially.

Too much faith is put into Abberline's judgement and his choices and beliefs regarding the case should be questioned.

Without Abberline; Hutchinson would have been seen as more of a suspect than a witness.

RD

Comment

• Too much faith is put into Abberline's judgement and his choices and beliefs regarding the case should be questioned.

I have been on these boards a long time and I have never seen anyone suggesting in any way that Abberline is somehow the Pope of Ripperology and thus wears some sort of mantle of infallibility.

Keep in mind that Abberline actually spoke with him at the time. It would also seem reasonable to assume that Abberline asked others what they thought of his story. And as it has been pointed out numerous times, we don't know the full extent of his belief and if it changed over time.

Your criticism seems to rest on the fact that Abberline had to be wrong because it doesn't match your opinion.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

Hi Jeff,

A man named Joseph Issacs. From the Manchester Evening News Dec 10;

"The police are continuing their inquiries into the antecedents of Joseph Isaacs, said to be a Polish Jew, who is now in custody on a charge of watch stealing. Mary Cusins, the deputy of a lodging-house in Paternoster Row, near Dorset-street, and Cornelius Oakes, a lodger, state that the conduct of the prisoner was frequently strange. Although he had a violin and four or five other musical instruments, he was never known to play any of them. Oakes says the prisoner used often to change his dress. He heard him threaten violence to all women above 17 years of age."

London Evening News, Dec 8;

"The prisoner, who was brought up in the custody of Detective-sergeant Record, H Division, is the man who was arrested in Drury-lane on Thursday afternoon on suspicion of being connected with the Whitechapel murders. It transpired during the hearing of this charge that it was committed at the very time the prisoner was being watched as a person "wanted." The prosecutor, Levenson, said that the prisoner entered his shop on the 5th instant, with a violin bow, and asked him to repair it. Whilst discussing the matter, the prisoner bolted out of the shop, and witness missed a gold watch belonging to a customer. The watch had been found at a pawn-shop. To prove that the prisoner was the man who entered the shop, a woman named Mary Cusins was called. She is deputy of a lodging-house in Paternoster-row, Spitalfields, and said that the prisoner had lodged in the house, as a single lodger, for three or four nights before the Dorset-street murder - the murder of Mary Janet Kelly, in Miller's-court. He disappeared after that murder, leaving the violin bow behind. The witness on the house to house inspection gave information to the police, and said she remembered that on the night of the murder she heard the prisoner walk about his room. After her statement a look out was kept for the prisoner, whose appearance certainly answered the published description of a man with an astrachan trimming to his coat. He visited the lodging-house on the 5th, and asked for the violin bow. It was given to him and the witness Cusins followed him to give him into custody as requested. She saw him enter Levenson's shop, and almost immediately run out, no constable being at hand. Detective Record said that there were some matters alleged against the prisoner, which it was desired to inquire into."

Since Hutchinson gave a description that seems to fit a man staying in the immediate area of Marys lodgings, one who suddenly disappears the night she is killed, I believe the possibility that Hutchinsons statement was intended to direct the police attentions to that man as a suspect. Because I dont believe that his actual motivation was a desire to help the police quickly find his "friends" butcher, I think his information, even if true, was likely useless after such a delay being brought forward.

And as I noted, there were changes made to the investigators attentions, no longer was Wideawake a possible accomplice, just good ol' Hutchy looking out for Mary, and it would appear they lost interest in even talking to Blotchy Face, judging by the Galloway sighting a few days later.

There was a suggestion that a Pardon had been considered earlier in these crimes, Considering and actually Issuing are not the same thing. Wideawake Man is surely the impetus for the offer being made into law, but as an Accomplice. Not the killer. The killer is likely the last person she is seen with if she went indoors and wasnt seen coming back out...and that was Blotchy.
                      Thanks for that Michael. Much obliged. I don't think I've ever heard of this news story before.

I'm now trying to track down Paternoster-Row to compare it's location with Dorset Street and the other crimes. Google maps doesn't find one in Spitalfields, only a Paternoster Row that is about 2 miles west of Dorset Street and the other crime locations. I'm not sure that would count as "near" Dorset Street in 1888, nor is it in Spitalfields, as it is described in the news.

Many street names have changed over the years, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of them, and I just need to track it down. A shame we don't have a street number for her lodging house as well. It can be helpful to view the locations of suspects, and given this fellow was arrested at the time, putting his "pin in the map" would be nice.

- Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

Thanks for that Michael. Much obliged. I don't think I've ever heard of this news story before.

I'm now trying to track down Paternoster-Row to compare it's location with Dorset Street and the other crimes. Google maps doesn't find one in Spitalfields, only a Paternoster Row that is about 2 miles west of Dorset Street and the other crime locations. I'm not sure that would count as "near" Dorset Street in 1888, nor is it in Spitalfields, as it is described in the news.

Many street names have changed over the years, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of them, and I just need to track it down. A shame we don't have a street number for her lodging house as well. It can be helpful to view the locations of suspects, and given this fellow was arrested at the time, putting his "pin in the map" would be nice.

- Jeff
                        Ah, found it (I think). Just to the west of Miller's Court, running North/South and intersecting Dorset Street, is "Little Paternoster Row" according to the JtR Map. That makes a lot more sense.

Do we know anything more about this fellow?

- Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

Ah, found it (I think). Just to the west of Miller's Court, running North/South and intersecting Dorset Street, is "Little Paternoster Row" according to the JtR Map. That makes a lot more sense.

Do we know anything more about this fellow?

- Jeff
                          He was a 30 year old Cigar Maker...

And he served 3 months hard labour for stealing the watch.

RD

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheffield_Daily_Telegraph_17_December_1888_0005_Clip.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	839718

He was actively sought after by the police in connection with the murder of MJK.

Comment

• Interestingly Joseph Isaacs was arrested on Thursday 6th December in Drury Lane in connection with the murder of MJK.

That's nearly a whole calendar month after the murder occurred.

Isaacs must have held some credible interest to the police as a Ripper suspect.

If he matches the description given by Hutchinson; then that makes things even more interesting.

Did his 3 month conviction for stealing the watch inadvertently get him off the hook for being suspected in the Ripper murders?

RD
                              Last edited by The Rookie Detective; 08-14-2024, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                                Hello Herlock,

I think reasonable arguments as to Schwartz's lack of attendance at the Inquest can be made on both sides of the issue. But whether or not he should have been called is a moot point. It tells us nothing as to why he was not there. I don't see any way of getting around that conclusion.

c.d.
                                Hi c.d.

My apologies for not responding to your post. I don’t know how I missed it.

I agree of course. We’re never going to know why he wasn’t called. The fact that he wasn’t an essential witness can’t be stated as a reason in itself because other non-vital witnesses were called to inquests. From memory I’m pretty sure that people could simply turn up at an inquest of their own volition and ask to give testimony. This might, to at least some extent, explain some of the attendee’s at inquest where we can’t really see why they were there.

One suggestion that I think possible is that Schwartz was concerned about revealing himself at the inquest for fear of the killer getting him so he ‘did a runner’ before he could be called. How much time, effort and money would the police have been prepared to spend looking for a non-essential witness if he’d fled, with his wife saying ‘I haven’t got a clue where he is.’ Pure speculation of course.
                                Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 08-14-2024, 09:09 AM.
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Working...
                                X