Innocent, By George!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairclough where art thou?

A fellow casebooker had gone to visit Fairclough some 3 or 4 months ago, I can't remember precisely.
    No news since.
    We should find out what happened to this person before we attempt the same thing. After all, if he or she was swallowed up by a black hole I would rather not repeat the process.

I have an idea that this pic could be easier to date (even approximately) than the signatures to be compared.
    I agree with DVV here, someone should be able to date this photo for us, of course the original would help...

Let me ask a stupid(er) question. Isn't Reg still alive? What happens when people attempt to contact him?

Greg

Comment

• older than me

Hello Greg. Reg is about 96 now. Might be a difficult conversation. But good luck to whoever tries.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

• Hi Greg

dunno about Reg. If alive, he must be very old.
        According to Richard Nunweek, Toppy and Reg relatives feel offended by the Hutch threads.

Comment

• Old and angry.......?

dunno about Reg. If alive, he must be very old.
          According to Richard Nunweek, Toppy and Reg relatives feel offended by the Hutch threads.
          Hello Greg. Reg is about 96 now. Might be a difficult conversation. But good luck to whoever tries.
          Thanks gentlemen,

That is indeed old but it depends on the cogency of his mind. I just had a great Aunt who passed at 97, clear as a bell right up to the end.

Anyway, not surprised they are offended. But if they could allay our suspicions the offense might be curtailed. Just a thought.

Be nice if someone could dig up something of worth. I'll be happy to email Fairclough's publishers if anyone thinks it might bring rain...

Greg

Comment

• I'll be happy to email Fairclough's publishers if anyone thinks it might bring rain...
            That would be good idea, Greg......what harm could it possibly do ? It might even shed some light on the matter..

If you did contact Fairclough, then what questions would you ask precisely ?

I think that there are a number of questions, and I'd like people from both sides -such as Richard & Mike & Ben & David to formulate their questions, and then you to do a synthesis and put them to Fairclough in your own words.

I think that we can trust you to be honest in the contact and report back to us with the exact unedited reply...should Fairclough reply (which of course he might not choose to).
            http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

• phone call

Hello Greg, Ruby. What an astonishingly good idea. At most, you would find yourself assailed by a few phrases not found in the OED nor Webster's analogue, as I did yesterday when making a welcoming phone call to a student. It's amazing how easily a phone can be replaced on the hook and no harm done.

Best of luck.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• Originally posted by GregBaron View Post
                That is indeed old but it depends on the cogency of his mind.
                Greg
                It's now or never to test LSD.
                But can Toppy pass the acid test ? as they used to say in Haight-Ashbury.

Comment

• "You know I can be found
                  Sitting home all alone (in Surrey)
                  If you can come around
                  At least please telephone
                  Don't be cruel (I'm in the phonebook)"

Melvyn-the-Pelvis

Comment

• Funnily enough, one idle Sunday, I did try to find Melv in the 'phone book -but no luck.

I think if he received a polite and respectful email asking him some direct questions, then there rests the possibility that he might answer them.
                    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

• If you call HIM (1), Ruby, please make it a royal call.

(1) : His Imperial Melvyn

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
                        And I think it's the latest foolishness to pretend that it is a genuine pic of Toppy beyond doubt, since you haven't examined it and since it appeared in a so fanciful study.

Moreover, I'm just saying that it doesn't look a 20s pic, to my eyes, and that was also the impression of Sam Flynn and others.
                        Hi David,

Well I imagine that it's indeed a photo of Reg Hutchinson's father. Whether it's the 1888 George or not, where would such a photo have come from otherwise? Of course this is not a 1920s picture. The British working class in the 1920s didn't have snapshot cameras, though like the Victorians they liked to have their relations immortalized in photographic studios. The man on this photo could well be in his mid 80s and looks like he's about to pop his clogs and so hence it could well be circa 1950.

Reg is dead now. When did our so-called Toppy die, anybody?
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• People should remember how "royal" is Hutchinson.
                          I mean : all royal theories need him, as demonstrated by the king of royal theories, Stephen Knight.
                          Hence Reg and Toppy in Fairclough, one the disciples.

Comment

• Hi Stephen

Well I imagine that it's indeed a photo of Reg Hutchinson's father
                            Wait, my friend...

Of course this is not a 1920s picture
                            My guess too. Then it is not Toppy, born 1866.

When did our so-called Toppy die, anybody?

Comment

• A genteel correspondence...

That would be good idea, Greg......what harm could it possibly do ? It might even shed some light on the matter..

If you did contact Fairclough, then what questions would you ask precisely ?

I think that there are a number of questions, and I'd like people from both sides -such as Richard & Mike & Ben & David to formulate their questions, and then you to do a synthesis and put them to Fairclough in your own words.

I think that we can trust you to be honest in the contact and report back to us with the exact unedited reply...should Fairclough reply (which of course he might not choose to).
                              Hi Ruby et al,

I'd be happy to do this and yes I'd need some help. I have no opinion on the matter so would not be editing to support any theory.

The question is; has someone already soured this fellow on casebook members? If he thinks some of you all are setting up a patsy he may react with disdain. Should I just say I'm an amateur interested in this case?

Hello Greg, Ruby. What an astonishingly good idea. At most, you would find yourself assailed by a few phrases not found in the OED nor Webster's analogue, as I did yesterday when making a welcoming phone call to a student. It's amazing how easily a phone can be replaced on the hook and no harm done.
                              Yes Lynn, I won't be offended if treated like a roaming leper. I've been hammered before....

Greg

Comment

• contact

Hello Greg. I think the amateur angle would work fine. Of course, at his age, time is of the essence.

Thanks from all of us.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X