Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
    Hi ,
    This is getting nowhere, it is becoming obvious that no conformation, one way, or another is likely to satisfy the battlling competitors here.

Regards Richard.
    very true .everyone is battling everyone else, it's Anarchy..

Comment

• Hi Malcolm,
      absolutely not.
      There's a confrontation between two major views, that's all. This thread, at least, is based on documents, and isn't purely speculative. That's something.
      I'll grant you that the discussion becomes a bit too hot at times, but that's always like this when Hutch is around.

Amitiés,
      David

Comment

• Yes, that Hutch, he's trouble alright. At least these documents do exist, however we interpret them-I'm not so sure the same can be said of Mr Astrakhan Man.. A slippery fish, that Hutch-even his signature has the power to deceive, apparently..

Comment

• You know, Crystal, my problem is that, interesting as it is, I'm not sure we're not moving back with this thread.
          Toppy's age and biography sound hollow, imo.
          Aged 22, Toppy would have been called "Mister" by Mary ?
          Hmmmm.
          Being a former groom, out of work, he used to give her shillings ???
          Hmmmm.
          But Fleming, him, did use to give money to Mary.
          Was about to marry her 3 years before the murder.
          Settled in the Victoria Home in August or September 1888.
          "Hutchinsonian" coincidences, no ?

Amitiés,
          David

Comment

• Hello DVV,

Mary called Hutchinson "Mister"?

Comment

• Hi Marlowe,

"Mister Hutchinson, would you lend me 6 pence ?"
              The Times, 14 Nov 1888

Amitiés,
              David

Comment

• DVV,

What does he say in his statement to the police?

Comment

• but Mary did not know seem to know him well, because for two people that are very young, she addresses him in conversation a bit too formal.......and Hutch's reply is cold.... they dont chat at all.
                  Last edited by Malcolm X; 04-12-2009, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marlowe View Post
                    DVV,

What does he say in his statement to the police?
                    From the terse (some say "British", Jon Guy):

"Hutchinson would you lend me six pence..."

Comment

• Hey Mal, I liked your original reply better...nice and spicey! :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Marlowe View Post
                        Hey Mal, I liked your original reply better...nice and spicey! :-)
                        ha ha.........i would've kept it up too, but i quickly checked and realised that both of us were wrong, damn it

if you look at what HUTCH said about that night, you realise that something is seriously wrong.........HUTCH is a HUTCH that's for sure, he wouldn't have lied about his name; but which one is anybodies guess...
                        Last edited by Malcolm X; 04-12-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• Yea, I think we can forget the "Mister" part. Calling a person by their last name might tell us something...fear? respect? dislike?

Anyway, we need a tie breaker regarding his identity.

Comment

• Oh, I don't know, I expect the identity of Ole Hutch will be resolved sooner or later..
                            Mike? I bet you ten pounds of doubtful salmon it isn't Toppy..

Comment

• You're Hutch teasing, Crystal...it's time to show us what you've got!!!

Comment

• Ben writes:

"On the basis of the extant evidence, I'd feel extremely confident betting on a similar degree of consistency over a different period in time"

I know you do. And I have already stated that teh only thing I am looking for is an admittance that Toppy could have changed his signature. and that is something you have already provided. So in fact, I should refrain from trying to erode your estimations on this subject any further. But the fact of the matter is that I really, really would caution against any "extreme confidence" at all. There is no ground for it. It could be argued that it would be no strange thing if he was consistent in his twenties too - but it could never be argued that it would be in any way strange if he was not. So therefore, let´s stay a looong way away from the more extreme variants of confidence - that is my advice, and I assure you it is a sound one.

"I've so far seen no examples of people who dithered indecisively over how to sign their name when in their twenties, but who nonetheless rigidly maintained a consistency in their signature in their 30s and 40s."

They will be there in millions, literally, Ben - thereis nothing strange about it at all. The changes will vary from small to large, but in many, many, many cases they will be there.

"I'm not convinced that his average work-day would have been so gruelling on the arms and wrists that it would have affected his writing."

Why quibble over something like this - the fact of the matter is that neither one of us can know how much physical labour he put in in that period of time. The only thing I DO know, is that some of the tasks of plumbing involve work that allows you to grom muscles - but that also involves wearing your wrists out. It´s much the same as football players - they have immense thigh and lower leg muscles - but their knees are spent long before they should be.

The best,
                                Fisherman

Comment

Working...
                                X