Hutch in the 1911 Census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hutch in the 1911 Census?

This George William Hutchinson, of 41 Russell Gardens Lambeth, was aged 48 in 1911 (therefore born in 1863 - in Hertfordshire - and aged 25 in 1888). George is listed as an "Ironmonger's Porter" and is married to Sarah, 6 years his junior. No children.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1911 Census.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	669379

I couldn't help noticing at least some similarity to the signature on the front page of "our" George's police statement:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hutch statement.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	669380

Granted, the lowercase "T" is different, but the rest is remarkably similar to my eyes, perhaps making a slight allowance for the passage of time and the maturation of the hand.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Gareth, Ancestry still crawling but as far as I can make out he was with his parents and siblings in 91, occupation news vendor.

Class: RG12; Piece: 391; Folio 116; Page 18

Comment

That's the same chap, Rob - living in Lambeth in 1891. Father a builder's labourer.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Gareth, how long does he say he's been married? That would be a way to get another specimen of his signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          Gareth, how long does he say he's been married?
          Good question, Rob. He and Sarah had been married for 10 years by 1911.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Gareth, he was listed married in the 01 census to Sarah E. He was an ironmonger's porter as per 1911. The best I can come up with is Sarah Ellen Waghorne, married George William Hutchinson 1900 at Kingston. Why he was in Kingston - except to get married - is beyond me.

Comment

Sarah Hutchinson was born in Kilburn (North London, for them wot don't know), so the Kingston wedding might rule that marriage out, Rob. Unless Kingston is a misprint for Kilburn.

Can you see the similarity in the signatures, by the way, or is it just me... ?
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Excellent find, Gareth!

It might be worth running this one past a document examiner or two...

All the best,
                Ben

Comment

To a layman (such as wot I'm) the signatures look remarkably similar. I'd say you've got 'im.

Comment

Yes Gareth, they definitely look similar.

Comment

This George William Hutchinson might be the George Hutchison on the 1881 Census at 25 Royal Street, Lambeth, born Sarrett Green, Hertfordshire?
                      He seems to have been in Lambeth and stayed in Lambeth, but I suppose he could have left for a while between 81 and 91.

I don't personally think the signatures posted by Sam look alike, but signatures can sometimes change???

Comment

They look similar to me. But i was informed that people in this period were taught to write in a very similar manner? More so than today.

Pirate

Comment

Hi,
                          One can look at countless signatures from that period, and spot many that look similar, handwritting is not DNA, neither is it fingerprinting, infact handwriting interpretation is sheer educated guesswork.
                          The 1911 census however is opening many more doors, however getting inside is one thing , finding the way out is another...
                          Why we are wasting time in trying to trace GH, we already know who he was, George William Topping hutchinson born 1/10/1866. and died in 1938 aged 71years, married to Florence Jervis in 1895.
                          It is that simple .
                          Must now put my tin helmet on , the flak is about to rain down.
                          Regards Richard.

Comment

Neal, was that the printer's assistant? I got it up on the LDS site - quicker than Ancestry. I was hoping to find him in the army, or as a groom, but he seems to have had a career confined to newspapers and ironmongers.

Comment

Why we are wasting time in trying to trace GH, we already know who he was, George William Topping hutchinson born 1/10/1866. and died in 1938 aged 71years, married to Florence Jervis in 1895.
                              Haha!

No.

Hi all,

The signature doesn't seem a bad match at all, but just to complicate matters I'm reminded of Debs' research into George "ticker nicker" Hutchinson of Cottage Grove, Bow, whose signature was believed by one registrar to have matched that of the witness. Another registrar didn't share the opinion, however.

Regards,
                              Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X