The profession of Jack the Ripper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
    We converted to the Aussie dollar on Feb 14 1966.

Doesn't count!
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
      Hi, Craig,

Married servants tended to live in their own houses on the grounds, or in the town. I suppose small children might be allowed into the staff areas (kitchens, so forth) of the house, but offspring of servants wouldn't live in the house unless they were also in service (kitchen sculleries, bootblacks, so forth). Hope this helps.
      Hi Pcdunn

thanks for that info, of course a small house in the grounds may have had the same address as the main house.

[B]We are also assuming the this info was known by Pierre when he posted the clues.
      Of course as I previously stated it is possible that the suspect could have stayed as a guest for a while.
      And of course it could be that he did indeed live in such a house, this would obviously give a fairly short, short-list.

Craig raised the possibility of living in such a building later in life, is it possible that it could be a building converted into flats in the 20th century or a building which looks like the photo, but was actually built as flats, there are several around "the Royal Albert Hall" for instances.

all just ideas,

A full review of the evidence, assessing the options, and in my case accepting that the results may well have no bearing in this particular case, but very interesting research none the less.

Steve
      Last edited by Elamarna; 02-01-2016, 04:12 AM.

Comment

We converted to the Aussie dollar on Feb 14 1966.

Doesn't count!
        my Dear DJA

your lose

cheers

Steve

Comment

• Couda bin worse....."they"wanted to call it the Austral!

Cheers!

Dave.
          Last edited by DJA; 02-01-2016, 07:06 AM. Reason: Spelling :)
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Couda bin worse....."they"wanted to call it the Austral!

Cheers!

Dave.
            Or the skip.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Jack"s Profession

Jack the Ripper was a surgeon/gynecologist working in the London Hospital at the time of the murders. Gynecology was a new type of medical specialty in the 1800's.
              Last edited by SuspectZero; 02-01-2016, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Or the skip.
                Bob Menzies wanted to call it the Royal, other suggestions included the dinkum and the emu and the boomer.

But hey it wha the mid 60s
                G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by SuspectZero View Post
                  Jack the Ripper was a surgeon/gynecologist working in the London Hospital at the time of the murders.
                  Lying in Hospitals had been around for over a hundred years.

Cross contamination and infection was rife in Jack's time.

Mentioned Robert McNeilly the other day.
                  Some knew him as a Hypnotherapist,others as a " Brighton Society" Gyno.

Another of my friends was an enthusiastic amateur......didn't know much about it,however he'd have a look for free.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    Bob Menzies wanted to call it the Royal
                    Old Pig Iron prolly thought the shilling was named after him.

Used to pass his street quite often.

The Leckie surname,his wife's,was well known at Scotch College.

Prolly made coffee too

Comment

Old Pig Iron prolly thought the shilling was named after him.

Used to pass his street quite often.

The Leckie surname,his wife's,was well known at Scotch College.

Prolly made coffee too
                      Nearly said "Pig Iron wanted to call it the royal" but many would have Ben confused.

Liked Bob.
                      G U T

Comment

• Almost said I passed his street regularly.

Comment

• Pierre had said his suspect lived in high status homes, was well educated, not a police constable, had a nickname Jack or ripper, there is no photo of him, he wanted to make the police look foolish, was a risk taker, lived outside Whitechapel, knew Thomas Bowyer.

My assessment of those who could meet criteria are William Arthur Roberts, John Spratling, John Littlechild and Alexander Carmichael Bruce.

Bruce is the only one who was “well educated” –was a barrister before becoming Assistant Commissioner.

Littlechild had the nervous breakdown in 1888 which may have led to acts. He would have the nickname Jack, and his home (The Chase, Clapham) could be called high status. However, there is a photo of him.

Spratling again could have nickname Jack, he lived in a good home (near 127 Kensington High Street and 78 Gore Road, Bethnal Green), but not high status. He was Inspector J Division, Bethnal Green.

Both Littlechilld and Spratling were not in the Whitechapel division so could have acted to embarrass those leaders or Warren more generally. However, there are photos of both.

The one I keep returning to is Roberts. He lived in high status, was bankrupt (seems strange) then still wealthy, no photo. He was ex-Army so would see himself as an outsider to the Police and may have had a motivation to embarrass.

Also, he was in Royal Artillery as was Thomas Bowyer. Pierre had previously said the killer knew Bowyer.

The only clue not fitting is that the killer chose the name jack the ripper as it meant something to him. Is “Jack” or “Ripper” mean anything in the army or the royal artillery ? Is it a nickname or slang for anything ?

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by SuspectZero View Post
                            Jack the Ripper was a surgeon/gynecologist working in the London Hospital at the time of the murders. Gynecology was a new type of medical specialty in the 1800's.
                            If you are interested in the profession during the 19th century, you can start looking at Joseph Récamier.
                            Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig H View Post
                              Pierre had said his suspect lived in high status homes, was well educated, not a police constable, had a nickname Jack or ripper, there is no photo of him, he wanted to make the police look foolish, was a risk taker, lived outside Whitechapel, knew Thomas Bowyer.

My assessment of those who could meet criteria are William Arthur Roberts, John Spratling, John Littlechild and Alexander Carmichael Bruce.

Bruce is the only one who was “well educated” –was a barrister before becoming Assistant Commissioner.

Littlechild had the nervous breakdown in 1888 which may have led to acts. He would have the nickname Jack, and his home (The Chase, Clapham) could be called high status. However, there is a photo of him.

Spratling again could have nickname Jack, he lived in a good home (near 127 Kensington High Street and 78 Gore Road, Bethnal Green), but not high status. He was Inspector J Division, Bethnal Green.

Both Littlechilld and Spratling were not in the Whitechapel division so could have acted to embarrass those leaders or Warren more generally. However, there are photos of both.

The one I keep returning to is Roberts. He lived in high status, was bankrupt (seems strange) then still wealthy, no photo. He was ex-Army so would see himself as an outsider to the Police and may have had a motivation to embarrass.

Also, he was in Royal Artillery as was Thomas Bowyer. Pierre had previously said the killer knew Bowyer.

The only clue not fitting is that the killer chose the name jack the ripper as it meant something to him. Is “Jack” or “Ripper” mean anything in the army or the royal artillery ? Is it a nickname or slang for anything ?

Craig
                              But do you honestly believe he chose the name?
                              G U T

Comment

• Hi GUT

I'm not sure. I thought a journalist created the name.

I'm just following the clues Pierre left. I know you're sceptical of what he's saying (and you may be right) .... I'm just following through on what he said. I get a bit persistent on these things ! I don't like unfinished business.

Would be good to find out who his suspect is so we can close this out, or dismiss the idea

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X