Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
    Hi Craig,

still working my way through the list. Coming to some interesting conclusions.

We appear to have 2 types of evidence,

1. No photo.

2.Had been seriously wronged by authority.

Which seem not to fit well together on the available evidence.

The thing to note with the house was Pierre said :

"I think I know that he was well educated and that he lived for a short time in a house that looked a bit like this one "

I have underlined the important bit.

That could mean a few weeks or months, could have been working in service for a brief period, that may be extremely hard to trace, family were in service so he was in that type of house as a child or staying with a family member in service, doesn’t need to be high status himself.

Alternatively it could mean that he stayed as a guest of the owner, or owners family for a period, this could be due to links professionally or educationally.

Indeed the "he lived for a short time" would almost seem to say that was not his normal type of housing.

Should get back to by middle of week with my comments on list.

regards
    Hi Steve

Thanks for your post. Will be interested to hear more on your thinking about possibilities.

In post #456, Pierre said "He did live in a house resembling a mansion and he lived in several high status houses during his lifetime."

As you mention, this could be taken several ways. I interpreted it as he was relatively wealthy, as the other clues were he was "well-educated" and thought he was smarter than others.

One option may be he was not from a wealthy family himself,but lived-in a high status home. That could be if he was a servant or his parents were. However, if his parents were servants for a wealthy family, I wouldn't have though the servant's children would have lived in the home ????? Not sure what happened back then.

All the best
    Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by Pandora View Post
      Hi Craig, I too, think that Pierre's suspect was John Spratling, both for your reasons outlined above, and this...

Could his connection to the name "Jack" be due to this well know English rhyme based on a proverb from the 17th Century - which has a clear link to his last name?

"Jack Sprat could eat no fat.
      His wife could eat no lean.
      And so between them both, you see,
      They licked the platter clean"

Cheers,
      Pandora.
      Hi Pandora

Thanks for this.

Steve had also suggested the poem. I'd forgotten it

All the best
      Craig

Comment

• Hi Steve

The other thing about living in a mansion .... is Pierre didn't say at what stage in his life his suspect lived-in a high status home. It could have been later in life.

I had looked at where the 55 Police Officials were staying in 1881 and 1891 Census which may mean I overlooked anyone who lived in a high status home in 1901 census or later ??

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig H View Post
          Hi Steve

Thanks for your post. Will be interested to hear more on your thinking about possibilities.

In post #456, Pierre said "He did live in a house resembling a mansion and he lived in several high status houses during his lifetime."

As you mention, this could be taken several ways. I interpreted it as he was relatively wealthy, as the other clues were he was "well-educated" and thought he was smarter than others.

One option may be he was not from a wealthy family himself,but lived-in a high status home. That could be if he was a servant or his parents were. However, if his parents were servants for a wealthy family, I wouldn't have though the servant's children would have lived in the home ????? Not sure what happened back then.

All the best
          Craig

Which thread was that 456 post from, there are over 30 to choose from.

To be honest neither am I aware of how the children of those in service were catered for.

There are indeed plenty of ways of interpreting what clues have been left; and once again the post you quote seems to somewhat contradict what was said in post 1 of the social class thread. this would not be the first time that has happened.

steve

Comment

• Amazing how the ghost of Pierre lingers on.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Yes .... it gets confusing.

Pierre said "He did live in a house resembling a mansion and he lived in several high status houses during his lifetime. " in post #456 on this thread ("The profession of Jack the Ripper")

Craig

Comment

Hi Steve

The other thing about living in a mansion .... is Pierre didn't say at what stage in his life his suspect lived-in a high status home. It could have been later in life.

I had looked at where the 55 Police Officials were staying in 1881 and 1891 Census which may mean I overlooked anyone who lived in a high status home in 1901 census or later ??

Craig
                Good point.
                We also have a problem I believe in precisely what is meant by high status home.
                If we mean mansion, surely we are back in the realms of a very senior official, such as Monro, MM or even Warren.
                All or whom could be said to match the problem with the police position; but all of whom are well known from Photos and are well known now.

steve

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  Amazing how the ghost of Pierre lingers on.
                  Actually GUT

this is an attempt to asses the evidence we have been given on this theory and to see if any of it provides a reasonable suspect.

CraigH has done some sterling research which I am currently looking at to see if we can come to a best fit or fits.

It may be Pierre’s theory, but being looked at from a different point of view.
                  best wishes
                  Steve

Comment

Actually GUT

this is an attempt to asses the evidence we have been given on this theory and to see if any of it provides a reasonable suspect.

CraigH has done some sterling research which I am currently looking at to see if we can come to a best fit or fits.

It may be Pierre’s theory, but being looked at from a different point of view.
                    best wishes
                    Steve
                    I wasn't meaning to be critical, I just find it funny that someone who bought so little to the table has sparked some serious research, as I am pursuaded he did very little of his own.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      I wasn't meaning to be critical, I just find it funny that someone who bought so little to the table has sparked some serious research, as I am pursuaded he did very little of his own.
                      GUT I didn't think you were.
                      Yes it has produced some serious research which will hopefully be able to either support or not this or any theory involving a police officer. lots of valuable data has been gathered
                      Craig has worked really hard getting most of this.

cheers

Steve

Comment

GUT I didn't think you were.
                        Yes it has produced some serious research which will hopefully be able to either support or not this or any theory involving a police officer. lots of valuable data has been gathered
                        Craig has worked really hard getting most of this.

cheers

Steve
                        Worried you're using the wörd data
                        G U T

Comment

Hi Steve

All the best
                          Craig
                          Hi, Craig,

Married servants tended to live in their own houses on the grounds, or in the town. I suppose small children might be allowed into the staff areas (kitchens, so forth) of the house, but offspring of servants wouldn't live in the house unless they were also in service (kitchen sculleries, bootblacks, so forth). Hope this helps.
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                            Hi, Craig,

Married servants tended to live in their own houses on the grounds, or in the town. I suppose small children might be allowed into the staff areas (kitchens, so forth) of the house, but offspring of servants wouldn't live in the house unless they were also in service (kitchen sculleries, bootblacks, so forth). Hope this helps.
                            Of course he could have been in service from a pretty young age.

But from that to the police???
                            G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                              A quick google brought up this fuller account;

If you're suggeting that he might be a fit for Pierre's candidate, well.... He was known as Jack, but that's about it. It seems rather unlikely that a village Bobby nearly 300 miles from London was JTR.

Ps I think Alice was murdered in July, not September
                              Thanks for looking it up. Sorry I misjudged when Alice was killed, but it was after P.C. Graham was.

Basically I was trying to find some Police Constable who was dead in 1889 who might have briefly been notorious. Graham seemed a possibility, but a thin one at best. Especially now as I'm told the suspect is not a police constable. I did not know the distance from London of the site of Graham's murder.

His killer was lucky. In 1902 Edgar Edwards, who killed several grocers and their families in a series of attacks to make some cash from the sale of their stores, supplies, and belongings to people who knew little of their origins, was tried and convicted and basically yelled at the courtroom, the jury, and the judge. He was probably insane, but unlike Wilkinson he hanged.

Jeff

Comment

Actually GUT.......CraigH has done some sterling research
                                We converted to the Aussie dollar on Feb 14 1966.

Doesn't count!
                                My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Working...
                                X