I think I have found him.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EmaEm View Post
    No my dear. I neither used any authority or was trying to proove (sic) any superiority. Just facts: and your comment reeks of inferiority. It was posted as I worked damn hard for it! I therefore know what I am talking about regarding how artisan was spelt in Britain in the late 19th Century. Non Brits have a reasonable excuse for arguing the point, but not people who were educated in this country. Doubt being expressed over the word educated of course.

Name remained until 1952.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
      Your're still not getting it. I didn't say there were not anomalies, but the majority of the uses of the word by 1888 used the letter s. This was mainly due to the Act of 1875, and if anyone wishes to use the word in the context of 1888, then the majority of the instances of it in common use, literature, plaques and most importantly legislation used the letter s. In fact, with some companies today, there has been a fashion in using the letter z again. Any decent editor in a publishing house would have the letter changed from a z to an s. I am only referring to London here and do not possess the knowledge about other countries in the 19th Century, though I would not be surprised if most of them were using z. I don't think you appreciate the importance of historical accuracy and context in written work. A visual image of a plaque is no doubt sufficient for a film, tv, or artwork, and of course would be completely correct if it was about that particular company. I don't think I can make the point any clearer to you. Just posting visual images of artisan with a z as if it proves that the majority of examples of this word used a z (which off course it doesn't) shows me that you don't really have a grasp of the required information.
      Last edited by EmaEm; 11-13-2015, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• Note date

Best wishes
        C4

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post

The reasons I can´t reveal my theory before my work is finished are two: it might destroy evidence - and there is the ethical aspect of accusing innocent people.

The first bit is the most important.

Regards Pierre
          Excuse a bit Pierre, but the second point does not really make sense. If you are correct on your current theory, and you name guilty name (s), they are name(s) of dead people, not living ones. These people were active in 1888 or about that date. None would be still alive. So if you accused them, and were satisfied (in your own mind) about their guilt) but others argued against your final proofs, they are not really in a position to be personally insulted by your comments about them. That is unless you believe in an afterlife, and meeting these people when you have passed on as well.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
            that's the quadrupède version of Occam razor. Love it.
            Gee, I never thought of it that way. Nice point.

Comment

Would it be fair for me to conclude that this 1888 person has now, in fact, vanished?

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                Would it be fair for me to conclude that this 1888 person has now, in fact, vanished?

As the year 1888 would have, leaving it for historians to examen in the future. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                  Excuse a bit Pierre, but the second point does not really make sense. If you are correct on your current theory, and you name guilty name (s), they are name(s) of dead people, not living ones. These people were active in 1888 or about that date. None would be still alive. So if you accused them, and were satisfied (in your own mind) about their guilt) but others argued against your final proofs, they are not really in a position to be personally insulted by your comments about them. That is unless you believe in an afterlife, and meeting these people when you have passed on as well.

Jeff
                  Hi Jeff,

No, I do not believe in the supernatural.

But I believe that someone did something illegal and very dangerous in the days of Jack the Ripper and that this could be a problem for England.

Regards Pierre
                  Last edited by Pierre; 11-13-2015, 01:35 PM.

Comment

The reasons I can´t reveal my theory before my work is finished are two: it might destroy evidence - and there is the ethical aspect of accusing innocent people.
                    So let me see if I've got this right. If you post on this forum the name of your suspect then some evidence, somewhere, gets destroyed?

Is this a magic trick you have mastered?

Or is there a person holding the evidence who has threatened that, if you post the name, that evidence goes on the fire?

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                      So let me see if I've got this right. If you post on this forum the name of your suspect then some evidence, somewhere, gets destroyed?

Is this a magic trick you have mastered?

Or is there a person holding the evidence who has threatened that, if you post the name, that evidence goes on the fire?
                      I wish I could tell you where this evidence is being held but I can´t. You will get to know when I´m finished with it. You can be quite sure of that.

Regards Pierre

Comment

• I wait and wait, with breath abate, for Pierrot's next epistle.

Alas I fear, within the year, for Jack we'll have to whistle.

C4

Comment

I wish I could tell you where this evidence is being held but I can´t.
                          I wasn't asking you where the evidence is being held. I was asking you how it could be destroyed by you posting in this forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                            I wait and wait, with breath abate, for Pierrot's next epistle.

Alas I fear, within the year, for Jack we'll have to whistle.

C4
                            Nice. Heres one:

There once was a boy named Pierre
                            Who said I think I have found him o Dear!
                            But I just cant say who
                            till I find that last clue
                            And then I will tell you next year!

Comment

• Pierre

Hi Pierre and thanks for the reply.
                              I guess there is nothing left to say at this moment in time, and at the end of the day time will tell how genuine your original post was or is.
                              After much consideration I still stand by my asumption that this is a wind up or a spoof by a long term member. However I will wait until proven right or wrong. I have spent 39 years wondering who Jack was so another 11 months won,t harm.

If you are true to your word and you do post the results I will be the first to admit I was wrong bit until such time ...

Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                                Nice. Heres one:

There once was a boy named Pierre
                                Who said I think I have found him o Dear!
                                But I just cant say who
                                till I find that last clue
                                And then I will tell you next year!
                                Here's another:

Pierre Pierre
                                full of despair
                                got his own head stuck up his derrière

Comment

Working...
                                X