Top Jack the Ripper Suspects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Jack the Ripper Suspects

I'm doing a report for a class of mine about Jack the Ripper. I wanted to include some suspects, just so everyone has an idea of some of them.

My question, however, is who are YOUR top three suspects for Jack?

I'll probably end up tallying them up and deciding which ones to use.

It'd mean a lot to me if you participated!

Thanks.

Kaitlyn

Originally posted by mechanicalcannibal View Post
    I'm doing a report for a class of mine about Jack the Ripper. I wanted to include some suspects, just so everyone has an idea of some of them.

Thanks.

Kaitlyn
    1. The blotchy faced man seen entering Millers Court with Mary Jane Kelly.

2. Montague John Druitt.

3. Aaron Kosminski.

If you want to know my reasons for choosing the blotchy faced man as my No 1 suspect, check out the following post:

Message Boards - Victims - Mary Jane Kelly - How Drunk Was Mary?

Good luck with the project Kaitlyn.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
      1. The blotchy faced man seen entering Millers Court with Mary Jane Kelly.

2. Montague John Druitt.

3. Aaron Kosminski.

If you want to know my reasons for choosing the blotchy faced man as my No 1 suspect, check out the following post:

Message Boards - Victims - Mary Jane Kelly - How Drunk Was Mary?

Good luck with the project Kaitlyn.
      Thanks for your list. I did check out your thread!

I'm currently reading it.

Kaitlyn

Comment

1. William Henry Bury

2. Unknown Local

3. James Kelly

Cheers John

Comment

1. Jacob Levy

2. William Henry Bury

3. Does "Joe Bloggs" count?

Comment

Oh no, Kaitlyn, you don't know what you've just gotten yourself into! Why do I have a feeling this is going to end up in a Lechmere Special.

I'm not nearly as versed in Ripperology as others here. So I'm still sorting it out. But right now, I'll go with

James Kelly, Aaron Kosminski, Unknown resident at 214 Dorset (my left field choice).

Comment

Why do I have a feeling this is going to end up in a Lechmere Special.
              Please please be wrong.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

1. Unknown #1

2. Unknown #3

3. Because I don't accept that the police were total idiots those suspected, but not cleared by contemporary police officers.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I don't have a pet suspect. My fascination for the case doesn't go in that direction.

I'm more impressed by the "everything that could possibly go wrong did go wrong". I think the police was competent, and the efforts were gigantic. But they were also victims of political struggles, media bashing, and were just obnoxiously unlucky.

This sais, if the man seen by Mrs Fiddymont after Chapman's murder isn't Issenschmid, then this guy is my favorite.
                  Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                  - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicalcannibal View Post

Thanks.

Kaitlyn
                    1st tier
                    1. Blotchy
                    2. George Hutchinson
                    3. Chapman

4. William Bury
                    5. James Kelly
                    6. Aaron Kosminsky

And far down

2nd tier
                    Druitt, tumblety, Barnett, Fleming, Puckridge, lechmere, le grande, Richardson, Harry bowyer, John mcCarthy, Jacob levy etc.

3rd tier
                    royal conspiracy, sickert, maybrick, the Easter Bunny etc.

Comment

That's interesting, Abby. I don't think I've ever seen Harry Bowyer put forward as a suspect. Maybe I haven't been around long enough?

Comment

Hi Kaitlyn,

I tend to see "Blotchy Face" (like "Broad-Shouldered Man" and "Pipe Man") as descriptions rather than suspects - because we don't know (even assuming they all existed) who they were.

If I have to nominate suspects I would include Kosminski (but not because of that bloody shawl!), simply because he was in the frame contemporaneously and I am one of the few who thinks that the Seaside Home account (by Swanson) records an actual event, albeit perhaps somewhat distorted in the telling.

Jacob Isenschmidt cannot be discounted for the Nichols and Chapman murders; nor can Barnett for Kelly's.

I suspect, though, that when we all meet up in the afterlife (if there is one) the Ripper (if there was one man responsible for all the murders) will be someone none of us has ever considered - such as Joseph William Haines, a butcher who ended his days as an alcoholic distillery carman. (Must get that Rip article done!)
                        Last edited by Bridewell; 11-07-2014, 04:46 PM. Reason: to correct spelling errors
                        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

We can only get as close as the top cops of the day and their competing opinions-theories:

1. Montague John Druitt -- Sir Melville Macnaghten (plus Tory MP Henry Farquharson, plus the writer George R. Sims)

2. Dr. Francis Tumblety -- Jack Littlechild and Walter Andrews (plus, arguably, Sir Melville Macnaghten, and, arguably, George R. Sims)

3. Aaron Kosminski -- Sir Robert Anderson and Donald Swanson

Comment

3. Aaron Kosminski -- Sir Robert Anderson and Donald Swanson
                            And whilst later downgraded by the good man placed by Macnaghten in the group of three "more likely".
                            G U T

Comment

To Gut

Fair enough, but I was looking at it from the perspective of the end of Edwardian Era, e.g. when opinions have settled.

By then or thereabouts Swanson has written the Marginalia and Littlechild has expressed the opinion, to Sims, that Tumblety had never been cleared of suspicion

In 1913 and 1914 Macnaghten committed himself to the publicly un-named Druitt as not only the best suspect, but the only one worth mentioning--because to him he was the one.

Comment

Working...
                              X