No announcement yet.

Rating The Suspects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gull also defended Vivisection "Vivisection (from Latin vivus 'alive', and sectio 'cutting') is surgery conducted for experimental purposes on a living organism" and we know that many serial killers love to torture animals, one can interpret this as a sign of violence.

But you may understand if those who don't like him as a suspect will ignore this of course.

Imagine if Druitt was known to have an honour in Surgery, and was famous for defending Vivisection !!!

From your post Fishy, it shows that Gull recovered in great measure, so nothing there to say he was physically unfit other than opinions of those who dislike this particular suspect.

The Baron

Comment

• Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post
      I think there is enough evidence to say that the some of doctors involved in the case were of the opinion that some degree of medical knowledge took place

Dr sequeira quote could be interpruted as ' not any great' but indeed some knowledge , just not great .

Dr Phillips - "seemed to indicate great anatomical knowledge. ill take that as a yes .
      All that and more is mentioned in my post that you quote. Here it is again.

Here are the opinions of the medical types.

Dr Llewellyn - “some rough anatomical knowledge”

Coroner Baxter - "considerable anatomical skill and knowledge”

Dr Phillips - "seemed to indicate great anatomical knowledge.”

Dr Sequeira - "not possessed of any great anatomical skill"

Dr Brown - “a great deal of knowledge”

Dr Saunders did not think the killer showed anatomical skill.

Dr Bond - "no scientific nor anatomical knowledge" IIRC, Thomas Bond read the reports in the victims, he did not examine the bodies.

If it was a "near certainty that the Ripper had a degree medical skill", then why did so many of the doctors disagree with that opinion?

The assessments of anatomical skill are:
      None - Bond, Saunders
      Some - Lllewellyn, Sequeira
      A lot - Baxter, Brown, Phillips

Another point to consider is that doctors who examined both Torso and Ripper victims thought that the Torso killer showed more anatomical knowledge than the Ripper, but not as much knowledge as a surgeon would have.

Another complication is the Ripper mutilations had an emotional component that seems lacking in the Torso dismemberment. The Torsoman clearly had a lair, so they had more time and better lighting, which would tend towards more consistent actions.

Doctors who examined the Ripper victims disagreed on the level of anatomical knowledge the killer had. We cannot with certainty reach any conclusions about the level of anatomical skill that the killer had.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Yer he did , there is no error in that .
        Go back and read your post #147. It clearly shows that Herlock did not says Gull's strokes happened during the Ripper murders.
        "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          I started this thread for one reason only. To assess suspect-types in line with certain criteria.
          So lets do that. I will continue to pitch that you have rated Dr Gull too highly as a suspect. It's not just that he showed no signs of misogyny, Gull actively promoted women joining the medical profession.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fiver View Post

Doctors who examined the Ripper victims disagreed on the level of anatomical knowledge the killer had. We cannot with certainty reach any conclusions about the level of anatomical skill that the killer had.

Also, it is critical that one keeps separate the difference between "anatomical knowledge" and "anatomical skill". When the medical professionals mention "knowledge", they are saying to some extent or another that the killer knew where things were in the body cavity - this usually is based upon removing the kidneys as they are behind a membrane. Skill refers to having had experience with removing things from the body. I, for example, know where the kidneys are located (more or less), but I've never removed them. So I may have some anatomical knowledge, but I do not have anatomical skill. Dr. Brown, for example, thought Eddowes' killer had both the knowledge of where the kidneys were located, and of how to remove them.

[Coroner] Would you consider that the person who inflicted the wounds possessed anatomical skill? - He must have had a good deal of knowledge as to the position of the abdominal organs, and the way to remove them.
            [Coroner] Would the parts removed be of any use for professional purposes? - None whatever.
            [Coroner] Would the removal of the kidney, for example, require special knowledge? - It would require a good deal of knowledge as to its position, because it is apt to be overlooked, being covered by a membrane.
            [Coroner] Would such a knowledge be likely to be possessed by some one accustomed to cutting up animals? - Yes.

Note, the last question by the coroner (would someone who cuts up animals know where the kidneys were located) doesn't mention skill. However, it sort of goes without saying that if someone is accustomed to cutting up animals to the point they have gained the knowledge of where the kidneys are located, then they will have acquired
            ​ skills to do so as well.

Dr. Sequeira did not directly comment upon anatomical knowledge in his testimony, but was not of the opinion that the killer had any real skill:

By Mr. Crawford: I am well acquainted with the locality and the position of the lamps in the square. Where the murder was committed was probably the darkest part of the square, but there was sufficient light to enable the miscreant to perpetrate the deed. I think that the murderer had no design on any particular organ of the body. He was not possessed of any great anatomical skill.

I've underlined the "no design" section, as this indicates that Dr. Sequeira did not think the killer necessarily even had anatomical knowledge (because, if the killer wasn't specifically targeting the uterus and kidneys, then they were taken simply because he found them, not because he knew where to look!).

So I think your pointing out that there was disagreement at the time is spot on (obviously, Dr. Phillip's suggestion that Chapman's killer had experience in the dissection room means the upper range of knowledge, and presumably skill, is even higher than Dr. Brown's opinion). And as you point out, Dr. Bond's review of the case files at the time lead him to the "no knowledge/experience" end of things.

Which brings us to whether or not this item should be on Herlock's checklist at all? The idea is to tick off bits that correspond to JtR, but which end of the scale corresponds?

If, for example, one views the medical opinion of "no knowledge/skill" as the one to fit to, then the more knowledge and skill a suspect should have, the less they correspond to that set of views. At the moment, the checklist presumes that suspects with that knowledge are a better fit, but there is the possibility that less is more on this particular item.

However, the exact opposite argument could also be made, and that one could argue the more knowledge/skill a suspect can be shown to have, the greater the correspondence with JtR, which in a way is how Herlock originally scored this (2 for medical level knowledge/skill 1 for animal level, and 0 for none).

In my view, the current 1 or 0 coding strikes the right balance. The range of opinions is so wide that I think there is no reason to weight surgical experience as more indicative of JtR than experience with cutting up animals. Also, given that it is very common for those who end up engaging in mutilation murders to have started out by cutting up animals, I think if it can be shown that a suspect has had that experience then that at least does make sense. In fact, if we were to have a "level 2" match, I think it would have to be something extraordinary, such as finding out that a suspect, as a child, had engaged in cutting up animals in a deviant way (killing neighborhood cats or dogs, type thing). That would be a red flag of interest, raising them above someone who, through the course of their profession, has gained such knowledge and skill. All butchers, slaughterman, and doctors will have gained the knowledge of where organs tend to be, how to find them, and will have obtained some degree of experience (doctors will all have done some sort of dissections during their medical training, even if they don't go on to practice surgery, for example).

​- Jeff

Comment

• This article is from a US paper, the Oakland Tribune, it is dated 24 December 1910 , it claims that "unwritten police annals" showed the Ripper to be a physician who had treated King Edward (i.e. Edward VII).

The Baron

Comment

• Originally posted by The Baron View Post
                This article is from a US paper, the Oakland Tribune, it is dated 24 December 1910 , it claims that "unwritten police annals" showed the Ripper to be a physician who had treated King Edward (i.e. Edward VII).

The Baron
                The article also mentions that he was caught and confined to a private institution.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

Also, it is critical that one keeps separate the difference between "anatomical knowledge" and "anatomical skill". When the medical professionals mention "knowledge", they are saying to some extent or another that the killer knew where things were in the body cavity - this usually is based upon removing the kidneys as they are behind a membrane. Skill refers to having had experience with removing things from the body. I, for example, know where the kidneys are located (more or less), but I've never removed them. So I may have some anatomical knowledge, but I do not have anatomical skill. Dr. Brown, for example, thought Eddowes' killer had both the knowledge of where the kidneys were located, and of how to remove them.

[Coroner] Would you consider that the person who inflicted the wounds possessed anatomical skill? - He must have had a good deal of knowledge as to the position of the abdominal organs, and the way to remove them.
                  [Coroner] Would the parts removed be of any use for professional purposes? - None whatever.
                  [Coroner] Would the removal of the kidney, for example, require special knowledge? - It would require a good deal of knowledge as to its position, because it is apt to be overlooked, being covered by a membrane.
                  [Coroner] Would such a knowledge be likely to be possessed by some one accustomed to cutting up animals? - Yes.

Note, the last question by the coroner (would someone who cuts up animals know where the kidneys were located) doesn't mention skill. However, it sort of goes without saying that if someone is accustomed to cutting up animals to the point they have gained the knowledge of where the kidneys are located, then they will have acquired
                  ​ skills to do so as well.

Dr. Sequeira did not directly comment upon anatomical knowledge in his testimony, but was not of the opinion that the killer had any real skill:

By Mr. Crawford: I am well acquainted with the locality and the position of the lamps in the square. Where the murder was committed was probably the darkest part of the square, but there was sufficient light to enable the miscreant to perpetrate the deed. I think that the murderer had no design on any particular organ of the body. He was not possessed of any great anatomical skill.

I've underlined the "no design" section, as this indicates that Dr. Sequeira did not think the killer necessarily even had anatomical knowledge (because, if the killer wasn't specifically targeting the uterus and kidneys, then they were taken simply because he found them, not because he knew where to look!).

So I think your pointing out that there was disagreement at the time is spot on (obviously, Dr. Phillip's suggestion that Chapman's killer had experience in the dissection room means the upper range of knowledge, and presumably skill, is even higher than Dr. Brown's opinion). And as you point out, Dr. Bond's review of the case files at the time lead him to the "no knowledge/experience" end of things.

Which brings us to whether or not this item should be on Herlock's checklist at all? The idea is to tick off bits that correspond to JtR, but which end of the scale corresponds?

If, for example, one views the medical opinion of "no knowledge/skill" as the one to fit to, then the more knowledge and skill a suspect should have, the less they correspond to that set of views. At the moment, the checklist presumes that suspects with that knowledge are a better fit, but there is the possibility that less is more on this particular item.

However, the exact opposite argument could also be made, and that one could argue the more knowledge/skill a suspect can be shown to have, the greater the correspondence with JtR, which in a way is how Herlock originally scored this (2 for medical level knowledge/skill 1 for animal level, and 0 for none).

In my view, the current 1 or 0 coding strikes the right balance. The range of opinions is so wide that I think there is no reason to weight surgical experience as more indicative of JtR than experience with cutting up animals. Also, given that it is very common for those who end up engaging in mutilation murders to have started out by cutting up animals, I think if it can be shown that a suspect has had that experience then that at least does make sense. In fact, if we were to have a "level 2" match, I think it would have to be something extraordinary, such as finding out that a suspect, as a child, had engaged in cutting up animals in a deviant way (killing neighborhood cats or dogs, type thing). That would be a red flag of interest, raising them above someone who, through the course of their profession, has gained such knowledge and skill. All butchers, slaughterman, and doctors will have gained the knowledge of where organs tend to be, how to find them, and will have obtained some degree of experience (doctors will all have done some sort of dissections during their medical training, even if they don't go on to practice surgery, for example).

​- Jeff
                  What Jeff said

Just an incredibly brilliant post from start to finish.

RD
                  "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

What Jeff said

Just an incredibly brilliant post from start to finish.

RD
                    Thanks RD. The extent of both anatomical knowledge and skill is an ongoing question in the JtR cases, and it is all too easy to focus on the end of the range of medical opinion that matches best with one's preferred suspect.

- Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by The Baron View Post
                      Gull also defended Vivisection "Vivisection (from Latin vivus 'alive', and sectio 'cutting') is surgery conducted for experimental purposes on a living organism" and we know that many serial killers love to torture animals, one can interpret this as a sign of violence.

The problem with this is so obvious that it really should need stating Baron. Yes serial killers are often found to have tortured animals in their early lives but we never find serial killers who didn’t actually torture animals but supported the fact that others did it. Gull didn’t experiment on animals himself, he simply believed along with most other medical men that science benefitted from vivisection and that those benefits outweighed any opposition to it. So unless you have evidence that Gull used to turn up to watch vivisection being performed as a spectator your point is completely invalid. A point that everyone but you would have seen immediately.

But you may understand if those who don't like him as a suspect will ignore this of course.

There’s nothing to ignore. And no one in ripperology ‘likes’ Gull as a suspect except for Fishy….and now you.

Imagine if Druitt was known to have an honour in Surgery, and was famous for defending Vivisection !!!

We have already tried to explain the nature of Gull’s degree but you simply ignore it so I’m not going to waste time explaining it for the third or fourth time. Druitt probably did defend vivisection, it’s likely that his father did too and his uncle (who wrote the standard textbook on surgery) but then again, you would probably have been hard-pressed to have found a medical man at that time that didn’t support vivisection.

Do you think that medical people these days that support (and benefit from) experimentation on animals are all potential serial killers or is this solely applicable to Gull? I’m afraid that you are making weak points even weaker Baron.

From your post Fishy, it shows that Gull recovered in great measure, so nothing there to say he was physically unfit other than opinions of those who dislike this particular suspect.

Again….look at the table Baron. There’s is a point available for medical/anatomical knowledge and a zero for none. I’ve given Gull the point and not Druitt. Please explain how this could possibly show bias?

The Baron
                      Isn’t it strange that in all of the time that you’ve posted on here you’ve never shown the slightest inclination toward saying anything in Gull’s favour but then as soon as Fishy criticises me in relation to Gull you suddenly come out as Mr Gull-defender. What a weird coincidence.

You keep sidestepping a very obvious point Baron but, then again, that’s hardly unusual for you. If you believe that Gull’s medical knowledge makes him a likelier suspect than Druitt then it has to follow (because you’re a fair-minded, unbiased chap of course) that it also makes him a better suspect than Kosminski. You have to believe this of course because if you didn’t it would mean that you think that Druitt should be judged using different criteria to other suspects. And you would never do that would you.

And finally, I’ll repeat a question for you to dodge before you run away:

Why do you think it a problem that Macnaghten had a different job before joining the Met but you don’t think it a problem that Anderson had a different job before joining the Met?
                      Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 06-04-2024, 09:25 AM.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• How surprising. Fishy and The Baron don’t have a single person supporting their position on Gull and Druitt or the fairness of the suspects table. Just the two of them
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Gull didn’t experiment on animals himself

Nowhere in my post I said he himself experimented on animals, the fact that he defended this procedure could be interpreted as a sign of violence

But you claim that he didn't experiment on animals himself, then Prove it!

​"The Cruelty to Animals Act, 1876 in Britain determined that one could only conduct vivisection on animals with the appropriate license from the state, and that the work the physiologist was doing had to be original and absolutely necessary.[17] The stage was set for such legislation by physiologist David Ferrier"

Gull was a professors and lecturer of physiology, I believe he knew what he was defending.

The Baron

Comment

Firsty im not attacking anyone im debating a point ! ,so back off with that wording. Second he did say it, look at it again closely and you see what it meant
                            I’ll request again that you provide the evidence for that because I’ve looked…nothing.

Just checked again….nothing.
                            Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 06-04-2024, 09:52 AM.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• It was said of Gull that he was a man of firm and outspoken views, and could be blunt to the point of rudeness, to one patient he replied, when asked if there was any hope, 'There is very little life left in you, in fact you are heart dead now'.

Sadism?!
                              • Sadomasochism, the giving or receiving of pleasure from acts involving the receipt or infliction of pain or humiliation
                              • Sadistic personality disorder, an obsolete term proposed for individuals who derive pleasure from the suffering of others

The Baron

Comment

• A little birdie in my head is telling me that this thread is well on it's way to ending up like Woolworths.

Just a feeling.

haha!

RD
                                "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Working...
                                X