No announcement yet.

Bucks Row - The Other Side of the Coin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucks Row - The Other Side of the Coin.

Apologies if this is done elsewhere and apologies if it lacks accuracy in any details. I’m just trying to get this down and may well revisit if needs be. Thank you.
    Bucks Row another way to look at what may have happened. Some main points for Lechmere being Jack the Ripper are centred around Bucks Row and the subsequent events.

Lechmere was ‘found by the body’ is the latest version of events. By whom? Robert Paul?

According to Lechmere ‘he found the body’ then addressed Robert Paul as he came up Bucks Row. The current version of events put forward by the Lechmere Theory supporters are that Lechmere was ‘found by the body.’

So two slightly but important different versions of events. Who is telling the truth?

Lechmere apparently lied at the inquest because he gave the name Cross. Did he? This is important because the Lechmere Theory insists, he lied and thus if he lied at the inquest the rest of his recollection of the events are also lies. A big assumption but to me that is where it stands and falls.

A couple of issues with this are according to Pickford’s website there are no records of a Lechmere working there. There was however a Cross. So for me all Lechmere did was give his correct work details. He did not lie he told the truth. He, for whatever reason was known at Pickford’s as Cross. To suggest it’s anything more is rather ludicrous and if he’d given his name as ‘Lechmere’ and then the Pickford’s address then yes that could have been construed as lying or giving false evidence. Why was Lechmere known to Pickford’s as Cross? I do not know but I doubt when he started there many years previous it was not to give himself an advantage in committing murder some 20 years later.

However Paul did appear to lie to the Newspaper, didn’t he?

He said :- It was exactly a quarter to four when I passed up Buck's-row to my work as a carman for Covent-garden market.

Testimony Report :- Robert Paul, a carman, said that he lived at 30, Forster Street, Whitechapel. On the morning of the crime he left home just before a quarter to four.

Again how long is ‘just before?’ It’s rather important. However let’s stick with his initial statement to the press initially. Let’s go full on theory mode. Let’s imagine…

Robert Paul left Foster Street much earlier than he states. (Hence where it is stated in the ‘Missing Evidence’ Lechmere and Paul should have been aware of each other before Bucks Row could fall down.) I find the word ‘exactly’ very important thing for him to stress. He is local, he possibly is well aware of the Police beats and timings. He missed PC Neil on ‘Round 1’ of his beat, Neil leaving Bucks row just after 3:15am. Paul now enters Bucks Row and gets to the murder spot, kills Polly, and continues West and then back along Winthrop Street, left onto Brady then left again back to Bucks Row. He has more than enough time to do this. He knows PC Neil will be back at 3:45am hence he states he entered Bucks Row ‘exactly’ 3:45am, he is trying to tell the press he has an alibi because he knows the Police will be there to hopefully back up his story. Unfortunately for him there is another man in the street ‘by the body’ and it’s not PC Neil, it’s Lechmere. Now Paul has a problem. For me this is where he ‘invents’ the rough street routine, the worry of being attacked by a gang etc. A sympathy ploy. Would we suspect a 'victim' witness? Why would a man walk to work along a street six days a week if it is by his own admission dangerous and a risk? It simply makes no sense.

His next lie to the newspaper was to claim he went alone to find a Policeman. Mizen and Lechmere state Lechmere and Paul went together. So there is another lie Paul told. Paul is lying more than Lechmere is accused of, but Lechmere gets labelled Jack. Why?

Since we have no certainty to know what time Paul left home from the newspaper or his testimony (as they both contradict each other) we could imply Paul has the opportunity to kill Polly, double back and try to give himself an alibi. Lechmere puts a spanner in the works, but he still has something to play with, after all we talk about Lechmere’s guilt not Paul’s. It appears his plan has worked, not as intended but it has worked.

We are told in modern policing that criminals can often try to insert themselves into an investigation, maybe for control or power. Paul walked home passed the scene of the crime, possibly to check it out or to see what the gossip was. Here he also gave his statement to the newspaper. Thus inserting himself into the investigation. There is no evidence to suggest Lechmere did. I doubt we would know Paul or Lechmere existed if he had not done this, it would have been PC Neil found the body, next…

At no point did Paul give his home address to the newspaper, just his work address and the name he was known there as, funnily enough the exact same thing Lechmere did. However the Lechmere theory points this out as suspicious and a sign of guilt. A red flag I believe.

In Paul’s statement to the press he also claimed the woman was dead and so cold she must have been dead sometime. Paul here for me is trying to strengthen his alibi. The longer she has been dead the better it is for Paul. Remember he entered Bucks Row at ‘exactly’ 3:45am. However when he has had more time to think about events and to ‘get his story straight’ since inadvertently he has included another witness in Lechmere, Paul’s Testimony statement offers a different scenario. He still relies on the entering Bucks Row at 3:45am to strengthen his alibi. So which version of events is true? Both can’t be so he either lied to the Newspaper or the Inquest. So again it can be stated with no uncertainty that Paul is not great at telling the truth, or at least not great at portraying it second hand.

Remember we also have Paul's commute to work passing some of the murder sites. Again Lechmere is hanged on this point, why not Paul?

The Lechmere theory as argued since its inception relies a lot on when been challenged ‘the other side of the coin.’ This of course is only when it’s convenient for it to do so. For me this post is exactly that, it’s a possible other side of the coin. Another way the players could be involved or not involved in what we know about Bucks Row and the 31st Aug 1888. I’m not putting this forward as Paul being Jack The Ripper far from it but maybe I’m putting it forward he is more likely than Lechmere or at least equal. I’m off to hide now as the ‘what a load of bloody rubbish’ posts come in.
    Last edited by Geddy2112; 04-22-2024, 10:30 AM.

Hi Geddy2112

I agree with what your saying. Paul is just as likely to have been the Ripper as Lechmere. However there is bugger all chance either were the Ripper.

Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
      I’m off to hide now as the ‘what a load of bloody rubbish’ posts come in.
      How does he do it? Strumming that bass without using a pick?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post

How does he do it? Strumming that bass without using a pick?
        Referring to Mr Lee? Just a finger I'm afraid. No good bassists use a pick haha

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
          Hi Geddy2112

I agree with what your saying. Paul is just as likely to have been the Ripper as Lechmere. However there is bugger all chance either were the Ripper.
          I actually think there is more chance Paul is. Even going by the Lechmere Theory Rules he has broken them more than Charlie Boy. If it was not for the name change I doubt Lechmere would have been afforded a second look.

Comment

I actually think there is more chance Paul is. Even going by the Lechmere Theory Rules he has broken them more than Charlie Boy. If it was not for the name change I doubt Lechmere would have been afforded a second look.
            Hi Geddy2112

Yes the alternate name that would have been easily traced back to him. The Police would have to have been complete idiots to not know that Lechmere and Cross were one and the same. Also there's the rather weak point that he found a body.

Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
              Yes the alternate name that would have been easily traced back to him. The Police would have to have been complete idiots to not know that Lechmere and Cross were one and the same. Also there's the rather weak point that he found a body.
              Good day sir, that is the problem though. The Lechmere Theory experts, CH and Ed are now distancing themselves from the 'found' a body to him 'being found near the body.' It makes all the difference, apparently. My point being then is 'who found the body?' Someone had to surely. Lechmere gave the name he was known by at Pickfords. No lie, no conspiracy, no deception, no trying to wriggle out of being a murderer. The 'name' thing is the biggest pile of shite for pointing to guilt I've ever read and if you watch these YouTube videos they proclaim it like it's the rope that should hang him. Then you get the 'sheep' in the comments... 'oh yeah guilty AF, he gave a fake name.' Stupidity breeds stupidity.

Comment

May I ask...

1) What time did Robert Paul leave home on the morning of the 31st Aug 1888?

2) What time did Robert Paul enter Bucks Row on the morning of 31st Aug 1888?

3) Since Christer and Edward have retraced and timed Lechmere's route to Bucks Row why have they not done the same for Robert Paul?

Comment

May I ask...

1) What time did Robert Paul leave home on the morning of the 31st Aug 1888?

2) What time did Robert Paul enter Bucks Row on the morning of 31st Aug 1888?

3) Since Christer and Edward have retraced and timed Lechmere's route to Bucks Row why have they not done the same for Robert Paul?

1.At the inquest Robert Paul claimed he left home just before a quarter to four .
                  This of course is totally subjective in that just before, could for some be 3.44 or for others 3.40.
                  And of course we have the continual issue of non syncronizied timekeeping, how did his time related to that of others.

2. In the Lloyds account, he claims it was exactly 3.45 when he passed up Bucks Row.

Where in the street he was Exactly, when it was Exactly 3.45 is unknown.

Again we have the issue of non syncronizied timekeeping , and also how exactly did Paul set the time?

At the East End Conference 2022, I presented a paper, which strongly suggested that not only were public clocks far from, to the minute reliable, but also there were none he could reference until after he passed the Board school with Lechmere.
                  He may have had a watch, but again how and what it was syncronizied with is a major issue.

We also have the issue that the wording
                  used in Lloyds Weekly News, may not have been the words of Paul himself, but those of the journalist. It seems that even some Lechmere theoriests now accept this is possible.
                  We also of course have the serious issue with both the time given, for leaving home, and passing along Bucks Row, that of how the times given in testimonies of the 3 police officers are completely in contradiction to those given by Paul.

3. There is no real need to retrace as there was really only one route Paul could have used.

Right along Foster, into Bath, across Brady and into Bucks Row .
                  A total distance from front door to Brown's Yard of approximately 240 yards. Walkable at 3.5 mph in a shade under two and a half minutes.

Steve

Last edited by Elamarna; 04-23-2024, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

...Right along Foster, into Bath, across Brady and into Bucks Row .
                    A total distance from front door to Brown's Yard of approximately 240 yards. Walkable at 3.5 mph in a shade under two and a half minutes.
                    Thank you muchly sir. The questions were sort of rhetorical as I've read the reports, the statements and 'Inside Bucks Row.' (Most of it anyhoo)

This is the problem I've got and mentioned in the O.P. If Paul is to be believed then it put him in Bucks Row when PC Neil was there. There is no time to move away from Lechmere, go to the body, check the body, do the prop up conversation and the pulling down of the skirts etc then head off to meet with Mizen, which of course he also lied about. There are so many things not fitting here but we are led to believe Charles Lechmere is the dishonest one. I'm not so sure.

Comment

Thank you muchly sir. The questions were sort of rhetorical as I've read the reports, the statements and 'Inside Bucks Row.' (Most of it anyhoo)

This is the problem I've got and mentioned in the O.P. If Paul is to be believed then it put him in Bucks Row when PC Neil was there. There is no time to move away from Lechmere, go to the body, check the body, do the prop up conversation and the pulling down of the skirts etc then head off to meet with Mizen, which of course he also lied about. There are so many things not fitting here but we are led to believe Charles Lechmere is the dishonest one. I'm not so sure.
                      I can only suggest you watch and listen the conference talk from May 2022, in the podcast section of this forum.
                      That will fulluly demonstrate that the times given by the participants are only guides.
                      One of the big issues for me is how the Lechmere theory to a great degree depends on exact, absolute times, when such really were not avalible in 1888.

Steve

Comment

Good day sir, that is the problem though. The Lechmere Theory experts, CH and Ed are now distancing themselves from the 'found' a body to him 'being found near the body.' It makes all the difference, apparently. My point being then is 'who found the body?' Someone had to surely. Lechmere gave the name he was known by at Pickfords. No lie, no conspiracy, no deception, no trying to wriggle out of being a murderer. The 'name' thing is the biggest pile of shite for pointing to guilt I've ever read and if you watch these YouTube videos they proclaim it like it's the rope that should hang him. Then you get the 'sheep' in the comments... 'oh yeah guilty AF, he gave a fake name.' Stupidity breeds stupidity.
                        Hi Geddy,

I suppose that if one believes that Cross was the killer, then that would mean that Robert Paul found the body. If one takes a neutral position on whether or not Cross was the killer, one would have to say that Cross found the body.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post
                          I suppose that if one believes that Cross was the killer, then that would mean that Robert Paul found the body. If one takes a neutral position on whether or not Cross was the killer, one would have to say that Cross found the body.
                          Hi Lewis, exactly correct. The problem I have is why they believe Paul and not Cross? I've said a few times, Paul seems the more economical with the truth from what we have in testimonies and newspaper accounts.

What was the methodology for Cross being the killer? It seems they found out about the name change, went 'woo that bloke is Cross who was there' and subsequently fitted him up. The misinterpreted one piece of evidence, i.e. the name Cross and threw mud at him until some stuck long enough to write a book, make a documentary and some shoddy YouTube videos.

I could be wrong but the more and more I look into this aspect of the case the weaker Cross gets and to be honest the stronger Robert Paul (Baul) opps typo or wrong name, gets for possibly being the killer of poor Polly.

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

I can only suggest you watch and listen the conference talk from May 2022, in the podcast section of this forum.
                            That will fulluly demonstrate that the times given by the participants are only guides.
                            One of the big issues for me is how the Lechmere theory to a great degree depends on exact, absolute times, when such really were not avalible in 1888.

Steve
                            This modern obsession with trying to pin down exact times in 1888 only seems to come from Lechmere theorists, which suggests an unhealthy reliance on clocks and watches that were riddled with human error, and understandable guesswork from those same fallible humans, who tended to round up or down to the nearest quarter of an hour, half an hour or hour, depending on individual circumstances and the need to be as accurate as humanly possible.

In short, Lechmere theorists would be better off looking for signs that the man had violent tendencies towards women, instead of trying to nail jelly to the wall in Buck's Row.

IMHO, naturally.

As I've observed on many an occasion, it's Lechmere's highly credible claim to have thought the body was a tarpaulin at first, until he drew closer, that nails it for me. Not the jelly, but his innocence. His first sight of the victim was of a corpse, not an opportunity.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Good news - the large clock on the wall of our nearest pub, on a busy crossroads, has finally been repaired and set to the right time, nearly ten years after we moved in across the road, and by the fourth landlord and lady to run it since.

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                              X