The Missing Evidence II - New Ripper Documentary - Aug 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post
    I have no idea which suspect Trevor favours, but if I was a betting man, i would imagine it's not someone who falls outside the Canonical 5 suspects, and certainly not someone who could have murdered and dismembered the Torso victims as well.
    Last I heard, Trevor's suspect was Carl Feigenbaum. The theory was that Feigenbaum, who isn't known to have lived in England, was a sailor that killed the Ripper victims when his ship stopped in London. I find the theory extremely unlikely, but it would be even more far-fetched if a sailor had to make enough trips to London to kill not only the Ripper victims, but also the Torso victims. So my guess is that he wouldn't have settled on Feigenbaum as a suspect if he hadn't rejected the idea that JtR also killed the Torso victims.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fiver View Post

The Missing Evidence has 2M views on Youtube. Lemmino's Enduring Mystery of Jack the Ripper has 10M views.

The House of Lechmere has less than 8k subscribers on Youtube. Ripper Tours has 31k subscribers.

Ripper Tours has 43k followers on Facebook. House of Lechmere has 541. Christer has 193.

Lechmerians are just a vocal fringe view.
      Maybe the Lechmerians on Youtube constitute a minority, but also a plurality. That is, maybe Lechmerians make up 15-20% of Youtubers who favor a particular Ripper suspect, but 15-20% is more than any other suspect has.

Comment

The Pinchin Street Torso was dismissed as a Ripper victim from the beginning by the police.

And the police were nowhere near as unified as you state. MeNaughton's views were anything but universal.

* Abberline dismissed Kosminski and Druitt as suspects. He favored George Chapman, but said nobody knew for sure.
        * Littlechild favored Tumblety and appears to have dismissed all of McNaughton's suspects.
        * Reid thought there were 9 victims killed between 1888 and 1892. That appears to dismiss Kosminki and definitely dismissed Druitt. In 1912 he said nobody knew who the Ripper was, specifically dismissing all of McNaughton's suspects.
        * Smith said none of the police knew who the Ripper was and specifically dismissed Kosminski.
        * Arnold though there were only 4 victims.
        * Dew thought that Emma Smith and Martha Tabram were Ripper victims. He had no suspect.

If Reid thought that the murders extended to 1892, that would also pretty much eliminate Tumblety as a possibility, since he returned to America in 1888.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

Maybe the Lechmerians on Youtube constitute a minority, but also a plurality. That is, maybe Lechmerians make up 15-20% of Youtubers who favor a particular Ripper suspect, but 15-20% is more than any other suspect has.
          Are they even a plurality?

For Ripper Tours, the Maybrick suspect video on Youtube has 202k views. 162k views for Aaron Kosminski. The George Chapman video has 147k views. Christer's Lechmere suspect video has 111k. That's not far ahead of Tumblety at 90k and Buckley at 86k.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Whatever they are there are too many of them. 'Sheep' seems to be a better term. Yes I'm looking to get a mention in the next video, it will be something to brag about to the Grandchildren

Comment

For Ripper Tours, the Maybrick suspect video on Youtube has 202k views. 162k views for Aaron Kosminski. The George Chapman video has 147k views. Christer's Lechmere suspect video has 111k. That's not far ahead of Tumblety at 90k and Buckley at 86k.
              Maybe you're right. I find it very interesting that the Chapman video has more views than the Lechmere one, because it sure seems like there's more interest there in Lechmere than in Chapman. Maybe that goes back to your point about a vocal minority.

Comment

• Hello Lewis,

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

... it sure seems like there's more interest there in Lechmere than in Chapman. Maybe that goes back to your point about a vocal minority.
                Maybe we, all of us are the vocal ones. Perhaps people check in and notice we're always on the top line discussing Lechmere.

Which is how Christer's video happened. The film company asked a regular poster was there a suspect being talked about a lot here. The answer was of course "Yes, Lechmere." That was a decade ago. Same answer now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post
                  Hello Lewis,

Maybe we, all of us are the vocal ones. Perhaps people check in and notice we're always on the top line discussing Lechmere.

Which is how Christer's video happened. The film company asked a regular poster was there a suspect being talked about a lot here. The answer was of course "Yes, Lechmere." That was a decade ago. Same answer now.
                  It's disappointing because witnesses turned into suspects are unlikely to have been Jack the Ripper.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post

It's disappointing because witnesses turned into suspects are unlikely to have been Jack the Ripper.
                    To be fair, almost every one of the hundreds of proposed suspects is unlikely to be the Ripper. The few exceptions are the suspects who couldn't have done it, like Ostrog.
                    "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

If Reid thought that the murders extended to 1892, that would also pretty much eliminate Tumblety as a possibility, since he returned to America in 1888.
                      That's a good point. It would also mean Reid discounted Bury and Chapman as suspects.

Comment

To be fair, almost every one of the hundreds of proposed suspects is unlikely to be the Ripper. The few exceptions are the suspects who couldn't have done it, like Ostrog.
                        In my opinion several have more going for them than Paul or Lechmere although frankly that's a low bar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post

Yeah he will be raking it in, going to run out of tenuous links soon mind. I did suggest if it was all for the good of Ripperology that he donated the YouTube proceeds to the local Whitechapel Mosque but I did not get a reply..

They only win if you let them go unchallenged... same as most egotistical, arrogant bullies...
                          Ed Butler? Donate to the Whitechapel Mosque?

I think I need to go and have a little lie down, Geddy.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

Ed Butler? Donate to the Whitechapel Mosque?

I think I need to go and have a little lie down, Geddy.
                            You saying it's not likely then?

Comment

• Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post

Apologies I know this post was not aimed at me. I totally agree they were given a dossier on Lechmere presenting an argument for his guilt. I understand that. However they still did not do it in a none biased, factual way. Hence my other thread where I find 30 or so 'inaccuracies' in a 48 min film. Like I said in post #78 a documentary is supposed to be a factual report. This is by no way a factual report.
                              Please also bear in mind the last sentence by the narrator a long the lines of '..but Christer believes unless solid evidence emerges to the contrary he has found the man behind the legend and proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Charles Allen Lechmere was Jack The Ripper.' That is a pretty bold statement to make.

So yes I totally agree it was a documentary to show Lechmere was guilty but it failed dramatically, in my opinion.
                              Hi Geddy,

While documentaries should always be as factually accurate as possible, and be balanced where balance is due, I don't see how it would be possible to produce a JtR doc, based on someone's theory of who dunnit and why, without polarising the viewers and ruffling feathers. If you insist on watching it, you suck it up and either buy into it or spit it out. Nobody is forcing you to believe a word of it, if the evidence isn't made to stack up or the speculation levels are sky high. Who among us would expect such a documentary to keep pointing out to the intellectually challenged that the theory being explored isn't definitive and may well be wrong? If it comes across as a piece of fanciful or egotistical crap, that's for Christer to worry about. I didn't watch it because from what I've read here on both sides of the divide, in Christer's posts as well as many others, I doubted I would learn anything new or surprising, and life's too short!

Christer's enthusiasm for his subject has driven me to distraction at times, and he's a stubborn so-and-so, but I don't see him changing so I rarely bother to challenge him these days. I did try several times over that bloody tarpaulin, but it was like talking to a brick wall. He either couldn't or wouldn't consider that he just may have got his whole theory wrong for a ha'porth of tarpaulin. His worst offence, however, from where I'm sitting, was not when he once suggested I go away and do some baking or knitting, but when he tried to deny that it was a sexist remark, claiming that one of his best male friends liked knitting! It was the moment when I realised that being wrong was not one of Christer's faults, living in a world where white can be black.

As for Ed Butler.... unprintable.

Love,

Caz
                              X

Comment

Last I heard, Butler was sleeping with one of Lechmere's descendants, Susan Clapp, another fascist.
                                They've been together for years, Fiver. I'm ashamed to say that when I used to see Susan at the Whitechapel Society meetings she struck me as friendly and sociable, although I could never understand how Ed persuaded her that Lechmere was a murderous bastard, or why she seemed happy to believe it! She kept her political leanings quiet whenever we chatted, thank goodness, or there could have been a right old cat fight in the Aldgate Exchange! Oh my fur and whiskers!

Love,

Caz
                                X

Comment

Working...
                                X