The good, the bad, and the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

I disagree. Look at the piles of books written about killers who have been positively identified.

True Crime is an industry and the idea that ripperology would die if JtR is identified is false. But often brought up as an excuse by suspect pushers when they fail to convince: you’re blinkered, you don’t want the solution (that I - only I! - have finally discovered in spite of your resistance!) because your hobby would fade as a result.
    I'm not sure how many Ripperologists would believe it even if JTR was positively identified.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post

I'm not sure how many Ripperologists would believe it even if JTR was positively identified.
      The most likely ones to not believe would be the ones certain that they have already positively identified JTR.
      "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

The most likely ones to not believe would be the ones certain that they have already positively identified JTR.
        Surely that depends on who they have positively identified JTR as?

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

A while ago someone asked who was the worst suspect. All things considered it has to be Merrick.
          Yes, or at least tied for worst with the very few that have a 100% proven alibi.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post

Surely that depends on who they have positively identified JTR as?
            If Fiver means people who are certain that they've identified the Ripper, but the Ripper is positively identified to be someone different from their suspect, then I agree with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

If Fiver means people who are certain that they've identified the Ripper, but the Ripper is positively identified to be someone different from their suspect, then I agree with him.
              Hadn't initially read quoted the post correctly.
              Last edited by John Wheat; 04-13-2024, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

Exactly. It feels like half of Victorian England has been "positively identified" as the Ripper. Even if the current favorite suspect turned out to be the Ripper, the majority of people who are sure would be sure about a different man.
                "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Arthur Conan Doyle. That would truly suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
                    Francis Thomson.

It's not really a rational thing but for some reason I metaphorically roll my eyes and make a tutting noise at any mention of him as a suspect!

Objectively he's probably not the worst, but I just don't get it!

I'd have egg on my face if it turned out to be him!
                    I get the same reaction with H H Holmes...
                    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

I disagree. Look at the piles of books written about killers who have been positively identified.

True Crime is an industry and the idea that ripperology would die if JtR is identified is false. But often brought up as an excuse by suspect pushers when they fail to convince: you’re blinkered, you don’t want the solution (that I - only I! - have finally discovered in spite of your resistance!) because your hobby would fade as a result.
                      I've never understood this myself. It's not like Ripperology is a lucrative industry. I imagine the only real revenue generating Ripper industry is House of Lechmere, and that's certainly not trying to keep the "myth" alive. I'm pretty sure Casebook didn't buy Steve Ryder's (who?) house. Ripperologist Magazine is run on goodwill and charity, similarly Rippercast. Ok, tour guides earn a living but they're hardly the drivers of the Ripper Gravy Train. It's always puzzled me how such a niche interest generates so much animosity.
                      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post
                        Hi all

Imagine if you will that one day the case is finally solved.

Conclusively and definitively solved with 100% certainty

Imagine a day when the killer's name is finally revealed!

My question is...

IF that day came, and the Ripper was finally revealed...

Who would you hate to discover was the Ripper?

Not looking for who you would want to be revealed as the Ripper; ...no...I want to know who you would hate to be revealed as the Ripper?

How about Maybrick?

Imagine all those who supported him as the Ripper, running around with copies of that diary, and those who didn't believe having to bow in acceptance of being wrong the whole time

Imagine Lechmere, and the likes of Christer rubbing that Swedish bath-salt into the wounds of those anti-Lechmerianists.

Or Bury, the man who had so much going for him, but always felt wrong as the Ripper.

Or Bachert, the fantasist turned realist

Or what about the likes of Fleming or Gehringer?

Or even the so-called "witnesses"Hutchinson or Schwartz?

Or how about the illusive "Mr Gray"... (No, I have never heard of him either and have just made him up)

Who would be the worst person to be PROVEN as the real Ripper?

Let the onslaught begin...

RD
                        Hi Rookie,

I'm not sure why it would matter to anyone as long as the evidence for the person's guilt could be shown to be beyond reasonable doubt.

Having said that, I could see some people being openly in denial, regardless of the evidence, if they had invested enough of themselves in the guilty person's innocence, or someone else's guilt.

After all, look at all the public denials we have had from top Post Office executives, despite all the evidence that their chosen computer system never worked properly from the day it was introduced. They have steadfastly refused to accept the reality, that any computer system is only as reliable as the human beings behind it, and that human error can never be ruled out at any stage of the process. The system was 'innocent' and couldn't be wrong, so all the individual postmasters with discrepancies had to be 'guilty' of theft, or human error at best - no investigation required.

Anyone with 'Post Office' blinkers, who claims to be an authority on who was or wasn't the ripper, is unlikely to be dragged kicking and screaming into a reality that would prove them wrong.

IMHO, naturally.

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

I've never understood this myself. It's not like Ripperology is a lucrative industry. I imagine the only real revenue generating Ripper industry is House of Lechmere, and that's certainly not trying to keep the "myth" alive. I'm pretty sure Casebook didn't buy Steve Ryder's (who?) house. Ripperologist Magazine is run on goodwill and charity, similarly Rippercast. Ok, tour guides earn a living but they're hardly the drivers of the Ripper Gravy Train. It's always puzzled me how such a niche interest generates so much animosity.
                          Good points, Al.

Hands up who has made a decent, full time living out of writing books solely related to the Whitechapel Murders? Anyone? Even Patricia Cornwell would have made more money had she stuck to churning out more crime fiction totally unrelated to JtR.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                          X