Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good, the bad, and the Ripper

Hi all

Imagine if you will that one day the case is finally solved.

Conclusively and definitively solved with 100% certainty

Imagine a day when the killer's name is finally revealed!

My question is...

IF that day came, and the Ripper was finally revealed...

Who would you hate to discover was the Ripper?

Not looking for who you would want to be revealed as the Ripper; ...no...I want to know who you would hate to be revealed as the Ripper?

How about Maybrick?

Imagine all those who supported him as the Ripper, running around with copies of that diary, and those who didn't believe having to bow in acceptance of being wrong the whole time

Imagine Lechmere, and the likes of Christer rubbing that Swedish bath-salt into the wounds of those anti-Lechmerianists.

Or Bury, the man who had so much going for him, but always felt wrong as the Ripper.

Or Bachert, the fantasist turned realist

Or what about the likes of Fleming or Gehringer?

Or even the so-called "witnesses"Hutchinson or Schwartz?

Or how about the illusive "Mr Gray"... (No, I have never heard of him either and have just made him up)

Who would be the worst person to be PROVEN as the real Ripper?

Let the onslaught begin...

RD
    "Great minds, don't think alike"

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post
    Hi all

Imagine if you will that one day the case is finally solved.

Conclusively and definitively solved with 100% certainty

Imagine a day when the killer's name is finally revealed!

My question is...

IF that day came, and the Ripper was finally revealed...

Who would you hate to discover was the Ripper?

Not looking for who you would want to be revealed as the Ripper; ...no...I want to know who you would hate to be revealed as the Ripper?

How about Maybrick?

Imagine all those who supported him as the Ripper, running around with copies of that diary, and those who didn't believe having to bow in acceptance of being wrong the whole time

Imagine Lechmere, and the likes of Christer rubbing that Swedish bath-salt into the wounds of those anti-Lechmerianists.

Or Bury, the man who had so much going for him, but always felt wrong as the Ripper.

Or Bachert, the fantasist turned realist

Or what about the likes of Fleming or Gehringer?

Or even the so-called "witnesses"Hutchinson or Schwartz?

Or how about the illusive "Mr Gray"... (No, I have never heard of him either and have just made him up)

Who would be the worst person to be PROVEN as the real Ripper?

Let the onslaught begin...

RD
    Hi RD

Interesting post. However as regards Bury. I don't see what Bury has wrong with him as regards to actually being the Ripper? To me Bury seems the obvious choice for actually being the Jack the Ripper. Often in unsolved cases it turns out it was the bloke the Police interviewed but didn't believe was the culprit eg The Yorkshire Ripper. Bury is by far the strongest suspect there is. I think he often gets dismissed because he's too normal and not the top hated toff or fiend etc that people think the Ripper could be.

Cheers John

Comment

Very cleaver and intriguing topic R.D .

For me I would say Montague J Druitt. Only because of the such remote chance that he was able to commit the crimes.
      ( i need not go into all the details as why, ,ive spent far to much time on that over the years )

If it indeed he turned out to be JtR, that one in a million chance I'd be totally utterly surprised and pissed.

Close 2nd Lechmere, 3rd Maybrick.
      'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Francis Thomson.

It's not really a rational thing but for some reason I metaphorically roll my eyes and make a tutting noise at any mention of him as a suspect!

Objectively he's probably not the worst, but I just don't get it!

I'd have egg on my face if it turned out to be him!

Comment

Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post
          Very cleaver and intriguing topic R.D .

For me I would say Montague J Druitt. Only because of the such remote chance that he was able to commit the crimes.
          ( i need not go into all the details as why, ,ive spent far to much time on that over the years )

If it indeed he turned out to be JtR, that one in a million chance I'd be totally utterly surprised and pissed.

Close 2nd Lechmere, 3rd Maybrick.
          You see, I'm the opposite re Druitt.

I do not believe it was him, but if it was, his story would have all the elements of a gothic melodrama.

I think that would be really interesting.

Comment

Van Gogh would have a few of us eating our hats too!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

You see, I'm the opposite re Druitt.

I do not believe it was him, but if it was, his story would have all the elements of a gothic melodrama.

I think that would be really interesting.
              Exactly Mis D.

Being mentioned by a very senior police officer places him in a very small group that’s streets ahead of the rest.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

For me there are four categories of named suspects. 1) best of the named. 2) named but I don’t think so. 3) named but unlikely in the extreme. And 4) named but f****** no chance. Then, there’s the as yet unnamed of course.

1) Bury, Druitt, Kosminski. 2) Levy, Hyams, Tumblety, Cutbush, Kelly etc. 3) Hutchinson, Cross, Granger etc. 4) Van Gogh, Gull, Prince Eddy, Lewis Carroll etc.

If it was from group 3) I’d have to admit to being mistaken (something incredibly rare as I’m sure that everyone would agree). If it was from 4) it would mean that earth was a universal asylum and we are just unaware of the fact.
                Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 04-12-2024, 06:17 PM.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                  For me there are four categories of named suspects. 1) best of the named. 2) named but I don’t think so. 3) named but unlikely in the extreme. And 4) named but f****** no chance. Then, there’s the as yet unnamed of course.

1) Bury, Druitt, Kosminski. 2) Levy, Hyams, Tumblety, Cutbush, Kelly etc. 3) Hutchinson, Cross, Granger etc. 4) Van Gogh, Gull, Prince Eddy, Lewis Carroll etc.

If it was from group 3) I’d have to admit to being mistaken (something incredibly rare as I’m sure that everyone would agree). If it was from 4) it would mean that earth was a universal asylum and we are just unaware of the fact.
                  One of the best posts I've ever read

Literally made me chuckle and spill my tea

RD
                  "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

if the ripper was finally named for sure i wouldnt give a shite who it was!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                      if the ripper was finally named for sure i wouldnt give a shite who it was!
                      Exactly Abby. None of us know who he was. If it was proven that would be it.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I wouldn't want the Ripper to be Lewis Carroll, Vincent Van Gogh, or Joseph Merrick, because I have some admiration or empathy for each of them, so I wouldn't want that to be shattered. Fortunately, all 3 are ridiculous suspects, so I don't need to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Exactly Abby. None of us know who he was. If it was proven that would be it.
                          I disagree. Look at the piles of books written about killers who have been positively identified.

True Crime is an industry and the idea that ripperology would die if JtR is identified is false. But often brought up as an excuse by suspect pushers when they fail to convince: you’re blinkered, you don’t want the solution (that I - only I! - have finally discovered in spite of your resistance!) because your hobby would fade as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

I disagree. Look at the piles of books written about killers who have been positively identified.

True Crime is an industry and the idea that ripperology would die if JtR is identified is false. But often brought up as an excuse by suspect pushers when they fail to convince: you’re blinkered, you don’t want the solution (that I - only I! - have finally discovered in spite of your resistance!) because your hobby would fade as a result.
                            Good point Kattrup. It reminds of how often Trevor has accused me and others of defending ‘the old established theories’ as if there’s some kind of sentimental attachment to certain notions. Some football teams would envy the ‘support’ that some suspects get.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post
                              I wouldn't want the Ripper to be Lewis Carroll, Vincent Van Gogh, or Joseph Merrick, because I have some admiration or empathy for each of them, so I wouldn't want that to be shattered. Fortunately, all 3 are ridiculous suspects, so I don't need to worry.
                              A while ago someone asked who was the worst suspect. All things considered it has to be Merrick.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                              X