New "Jacks identity revealed - Daily Express"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newbie View Post

I read something about one of the two 'witnesses' to a man being with Catherine Eddowes, shortly before the murder - (Levy?) was a relative of some type to Hyams, and that he was perceived as reluctant in some of his testimony at the inquest. Also, the business, behind which Catherine Eddowes murder was conducted, also had some indirect association with Hyams.

He has four things going for him, indisputably, concerning the murder of Catherine Eddows: he lived nearby; he was violently insane; he was abusive to his wife; and the canonical murders ceased once he was interred.

He also has a few things against him: certain physical limitations; questions as to how this crippled person jumped the fence behind Hansbury street, or why he ventured out of the neighborhood to kill - that's a long trip back to mitre square dragging your left foot, and a long journey out of Buck's row; a suspicion as to why Mary Kelly would merrily lead someone like Hyams into her bedroom; a notion that the police vetted all violent, psychotic jews interred in insane asylums during that time. 1 stone and 7 pounds is 147 pounds: far from a muscular set, even back then'
    It would take considerable strength and ability in both arms to commit these murders, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Filby View Post

The sample excerpt is uninformative and really offers little interest for me at this point.
      It looks awful. But I thought I’d get it for £4 as a bit of a laugh sometime if I’m short of something to read.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

It looks awful. But I thought I’d get it for £4 as a bit of a laugh sometime if I’m short of something to read.
        Hello Herlock,

Speaking of things to read, when are you going to get around to reading about the American Civil War? I know it is on your list. Just wondering.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Hello Herlock,

Speaking of things to read, when are you going to get around to reading about the American Civil War? I know it is on your list. Just wondering.

c.d.
          Hi c.d.

Its a bit annoying. I have Battle cry Of Freedom sitting there waiting to be read, plus a book on the War of Independence. I keep getting books that jump the queue though.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi c.d.

Its a bit annoying. I have Battle cry Of Freedom sitting there waiting to be read, plus a book on the War of Independence. I keep getting books that jump the queue though.
            Understood. I had to return Man from the Train to the library because another book with a wait list came in but I will get back to it soon.

As for the Civil War (I believe I recommended this before), this is a classic.

Also, check out the book I just ordered from amazon. I mentioned it under the book recommendations thread.

c.d.

Comment

Thanks c.d.

Id already got The Killer Angels on my ‘to get’ list which must have come from you. I’ve now added the second one. I might have to sell a kidney at this rate.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi c.d.

Hi Herlock,

If you want another recommendation, The Impending Crisis by David Potter, covers the 12 year period between the Mexican War and the American Civil War, a period that I find even more interesting than the Civil War itself. It was a period where one thing after another went wrong, leading to civil war. It's about a 600 page book, and it appears that you're already having trouble finding time to read everything that you'd like to read, and this 12 year period is also covered in Battle Cry of Freedom, but in less detail. What you might do is when you get around to Battle Cry of Freedom, have Impending Crisis handy, and if you get to something in the pre-war years that especially interests you and you'd like to read more about, you can read the relevant chapter in Impending Crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

Hi Herlock,

If you want another recommendation, The Impending Crisis by David Potter, covers the 12 year period between the Mexican War and the American Civil War, a period that I find even more interesting than the Civil War itself. It was a period where one thing after another went wrong, leading to civil war. It's about a 600 page book, and it appears that you're already having trouble finding time to read everything that you'd like to read, and this 12 year period is also covered in Battle Cry of Freedom, but in less detail. What you might do is when you get around to Battle Cry of Freedom, have Impending Crisis handy, and if you get to something in the pre-war years that especially interests you and you'd like to read more about, you can read the relevant chapter in Impending Crisis.
                  Hi Lewis,

Thanks for the recommendation. I might have to start up a charity to pay for all of the ones on my list…The Herlock Sholmes Book Fund.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi Lewis,

Thanks for the recommendation. I might have to start up a charity to pay for all of the ones on my list…The Herlock Sholmes Book Fund.
                    You're welcome Herlock. Maybe you can borrow some of these books from a library.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

You're welcome Herlock. Maybe you can borrow some of these books from a library.
                      I’m a library member but I rarely use it. I need to disassociate reading from collecting.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                      X