profile of Jack the ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post

I've noticed that Bury roughly fits most of the profiles. That can't be a coincidence.
    I suppose Bury was a confirmed murderer and mutilator, not only at the point of death but he returned to her body after it had 'lost its vital elasticty' and cut into each groin area. By those actions alone he is going to fit most profiles because most people aren't going to even contemplate such perverted things, let alone go through with them. We can only guess at most of his childhood/personal circumstances and upbringing that by 1889 made him think those were ok things to do. Can one man have the same unsual killing and mutilating methods of two killers in a small geographical area and not be the actaul killer, and fit very well the one offical profile we have of the killer? It is possible I suppose but i find it unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethelwulf View Post
      Yes I agree when looking victims and going with them he would have come across as extremely normal. I was more thinking about what he was like day-to-day. Was he the quiet man who kept himself to himself, or was he the confident, boasting, egotistical type? My argument is nothing more than speculation based on more speculation.
      Ah, you meant more how he was like in daily life. Unfortunately, there's no way for any of us to know what he was really like - more (seemingly) timid & inoffensive or more extravert, charming-like or even more aggressive & violent. When I see him as timid & inoffensive rather than anything else I'm just speculating as well. He could have been a Bundy-like charmer, an aggressive & violent type like Bellfield (or Bury), a boastful & arrogant character like Gordon Cummins or rather like the introverted & reclusive Robert Clive Napper. What, unlike the other types, a more introverted & inoffensive type of culprit has going for him is that he wouldn't stand out, although aggressive & violent behaviour from men back then was probably much more commonplace than it is now, certainly in London's East End.

Be interested to see what the new NCA profile suggests.
      I can't wait to see it, too, Wulf.

Cheers,
      Frank

"You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
      Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

I actually wonder if there is any point posting anything on this site.
        Of course there is - just as long as everybody keeps (at least somewhat) of an open mind.
        "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."

Comment

Yes I agree when looking victims and going with them he would have come across as extremely normal. I was more thinking about what he was like day-to-day. Was he the quiet man who kept himself to himself, or was he the confident, boasting, egotistical type? My argument is nothing more than speculation based on more speculation. Be interested to see what the new NCA profile suggests.
          This was a perfectly reasonable comment. It received one negative response, but I read it respectfully, and I'm sure that others did too.

Comment

I posted this in the other profile thread but here you go. I've expanded it a bit.

Working class.
            Alcoholic/abusive mother.
            (Not English--Scandinavian or Northern Europe a possibility but I think more likely Scots. This is local to Blotchy who is my preferred suspect so I put this one in brackets!)
            Spends time with the victims before he kills them.
            Has a preferred & specific kind of location.
            Has a preferred & specific kind of victim.
            His murders are not sexual, they are vengeful.
            Has somewhere private where he can keep souvenirs for a while.
            Personable. Not shy.
            Stays close to the area but possibly not in the area.
            Might have normal encounters with prostitutes all through the time of the killings.
            Has a normal family somewhere else. But travels enough that he can stay in London for at least a few days without anyone at home knowing.
            Possibly therefore a sailor or an itinerant worker. Very protective of his family.
            Stops killing & disappears back to the wife & kids.
            Lives to a ripe old age beloved by all.

And here's my victimology:

Alcoholic or heavy drinker. Drunk when he meets her.
            Below the poverty line.
            Habitual or occasional prostitute.
            Mother who no longer has contact with her child/children.​

And I'll add mother who brings her children into the conversation to cadge a drink or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Chava View Post

Not English--Scandinavian or Northern Europe a possibility ... Possibly therefore a sailor ...

That sounds remarkably like my Nordic sailor, which has given rise to so much hilarity, mirth, ridicule and even downright hostility - for the latter, see for example # 248 in OK whos your favored suspect/s and why? and # 22 in Profile of Jack the Ripper.

I am confident, however, that your Nordic sailor will be more sympathetically received.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

That sounds remarkably like my Nordic sailor, which has given rise to so much hilarity, mirth, ridicule and even downright hostility - for the latter, see for example # 248 in OK whos your favored suspect/s and why? and # 22 in Profile of Jack the Ripper.

I am confident, however, that your Nordic sailor will be more sympathetically received.

I have just realised that there are two threads with the name Profile of Jack the Ripper.

The one I meant is at:

Anyone that's familiar with the modern technique of profiling. Could someone put here a general profile of the killer? Not to mention, what could've been done to draw him out, trap him, etc? In your opinion, how did he blend in so well, what would you be looking for if you could go back in time with knowledge of the MO but

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

Even modern-day profilers cannot be totally accurate when trying to profile a modern-day serial killer, so they have no chance of being able to accurately profile a serial killer from 1888, but when the profile is produced I am sure there will be those who will want to channel it in the direction of which suspect it favours

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                  And to you too, Trevor.

Comment

Working...
                  X