Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Francis Hermans - Update - Solid evidence of him being in vicinity of torso murders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francis Hermans - Update - Solid evidence of him being in vicinity of torso murders.

Hi all,

Following my post yesterday I have spent the last day furthering my research into him when I made a surprising discovery. Most of the newspapers and his Wikipedia page list him with an incorrect name. His actual name is Francis Hermans not Francis Hermann. I know this from researching the Utah Archives and I have currently got a request for his case file pending. If I receive it and there is anything of interest in it I will update.

However this has led to a very exciting discovery. Hard evidence that a serial killer who dismembers his victims was operating in London at the time of the torso killings.

Francis Hermans who murdered between 2-8 people in America between 1891-1896 was living in Rotherhithe, London between the years of the Torso killings and JtR.

His job was a London City Missionary and was a naturalized British citizen.

Even if he doesn't have any relation to our cases it looks like I'm going to have to update his Wikipedia page.

This also shows us who his wife in England was he most likely murdered. We now know they got married in 1882 until her disappearance.

If you want to know more about his MO I have written more about it in my last post.

I'm hoping if I'm able to look at his case file I might find some correspondence between Salt Lake Police and MET Police since salt lake police were informed of the disappearance of his first wife.

If I find anything in his case file I will let you all know.

Will

Sources:
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Originally posted by Astatine211 View Post
    Hi all,

Following my post yesterday I have spent the last day furthering my research into him when I made a surprising discovery. Most of the newspapers and his Wikipedia page list him with an incorrect name. His actual name is Francis Hermans not Francis Hermann. I know this from researching the Utah Archives and I have currently got a request for his case file pending. If I receive it and there is anything of interest in it I will update.

However this has led to a very exciting discovery. Hard evidence that a serial killer who dismembers his victims was operating in London at the time of the torso killings.

Francis Hermans who murdered between 2-8 people in America between 1891-1896 was living in Rotherhithe, London between the years of the Torso killings and JtR.

His job was a London City Missionary and was a naturalized British citizen.

Even if he doesn't have any relation to our cases it looks like I'm going to have to update his Wikipedia page.

This also shows us who his wife in England was he most likely murdered. We now know they got married in 1882 until her disappearance.

If you want to know more about his MO I have written more about it in my last post.

I'm hoping if I'm able to look at his case file I might find some correspondence between Salt Lake Police and MET Police since salt lake police were informed of the disappearance of his first wife.

If I find anything in his case file I will let you all know.

Will

Sources:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DTC-QWF
    hi Ast
    if all of this is true, and it looks like it is, i think we have a solid suspect for torsoman. do you know what month in 1891 he left england?
    of course im asking to see if he left after the pinchin torso.

maybe some of our astute researches can jump on this and give you some help finding out more about him and his background in England.

very very interesting.
    Last edited by Abby Normal; 02-16-2021, 02:18 AM.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi Ast
      if all of this is true, and it looks like it is, i think we have a solid suspect for torsoman. do you know what month in 1891 he left england?
      of course im asking to see if he left after the pinchin torso.

maybe some of our astute researches can jump on this and give you some help finding out more about him and his background in England.

very very interesting.
      As far as I'm aware it's reported he first came to America in 1890, arriving at Minnesota but I am unsure of the month. Hopefully if I am able to receive his case file it should shed some more light on specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by Astatine211 View Post

As far as I'm aware it's reported he first came to America in 1890, arriving at Minnesota but I am unsure of the month. Hopefully if I am able to receive his case file it should shed some more light on specifics.
        thanks Ast
        thats interesting because the last likely torso and ripper murders were in 1889 with pinchin and mckenzie. very interesting.
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

thanks Ast
          thats interesting because the last likely torso and ripper murders were in 1889 with pinchin and mckenzie. very interesting.
          I have been able to find an outward UK passenger list that could be him but it's paywalled on ancestry.com

Comment

thanks Ast
            Thank you
            Last edited by Astatine211; 02-16-2021, 03:13 AM.

Comment

thanks Ast
              Okay I've accessed the passenger list and if it's the same one he travelled from Liverpool to New York on 8th April 1891 and I was also able to find a photo of him.
              Attached Files

Comment

His age and profession in the immigration list match the one we're looking for as being 39 in 1891 and a missionary. I can say with confidence it is a match.

Comment

This news articles give a very good description of his crimes. Things I also noticed were the fact he wraps the dismembered body parts in newspaper like the Whitehall Mystery and bundles.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Although I'm of thought he is the Thames Torso Killer due to very similar MO, Timings and being close by to every torso murder hopefully his case file contains the mentioned letters so we can compare his handwriting to some of the Ripper letters.

Comment

Final note before I go to sleep, Francis had performed a successful abortion on one of his victims in SLC and had a great interest in anatomy and dissection, therefore I am certain he would have the correct skills to be the Thames Torso Killer, right down to the potential abortion on Elizabeth Jackson.

Comment

Hello Astatine.

An article in the Hagerstown Mail, May 29,1896 shares much information on Francis Hermans.

Some highlights are-

-He was born of Swedish parentage and was a naturalized British citizen.

-He was pastor of a Scandanavian Methodist church.

-Description- "He is described as a man from 40 to 45 years of age. His hair is sandy as is the sweeping moustache he affects. Though inclined to be a trifle stout, he is very active, and his agility is heightened by his keen, restless grey eyes. As stated, he has been married three times."

-He traveled very widely. For several years he was employed on mail steamers running between England and India. He was also at one time in charge, as a minister, in a sailors home in Havre, France.

-The article states it was found that he was a medical student and in his rooms was found enough poison to kill all the inhabitants of Salt Lake City.

-He burned body parts and murder weapons in the furnace in the basement of the church he was pastor.

Thanks for digging him up. (no pun intended)

The article is very long. If you want more information, I can provide it from the article. I have found several news articles so I'll see if more can be found on him.

JD

Comment

Very nice Astatine
                          Hard to see if he has blotchy skin but a sandy moustache might be called carroty when seen in the dark.

Comment

It's certainly an interesting case. A more bloodthirsty version of Severin Klosowski.

But if I'm looking at it correctly, it looks like he and his wife Emmeline had a son baptized in Horsham in 1891. So they apparently moved to the Horsham area sometime between 1882 and 1891.

You'll want to find out where Samuel was born in Dec 1887. I'm not immediately seeing it.

Samuel Hermans
                            Male
                            Birth: 3 Dec 1887
                            Baptism: 22 Mar 1891
                            Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Horsham, Surrey, England
                            Francis Hermans
                            Emmeline

Comment

Emmeline Smith marries him 15 February 1882. That says "City Missionary" for his profession, if you can't read it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Emmeline.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	751187
                              Last edited by rjpalmer; 02-16-2021, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X