No announcement yet.

Could we prove any suspect guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Could Bury be convicted in an 1889 courtroom?” and “Could Bury be convicted in a 2015 courtroom?” are separate questions. For example, the “Ellen Bury’s throat wasn’t cut” defense, which is unfortunately still being trotted out today, would be quickly demolished in a 2015 courtroom. You could call Keppel to the stand, he would testify that the MO of a serial killer can change from crime scene to crime scene, and that would be the end of that. On the other hand, I could see an 1889 jury struggling with the absence of a cut throat, and perhaps attaching undue weight to it during deliberations.
    “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
    http://www.williambury.org

Comment

• Originally posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
      “Could Bury be convicted in an 1889 courtroom?” and “Could Bury be convicted in a 2015 courtroom?” are separate questions. For example, the “Ellen Bury’s throat wasn’t cut” defense, which is unfortunately still being trotted out today, would be quickly demolished in a 2015 courtroom. You could call Keppel to the stand, he would testify that the MO of a serial killer can change from crime scene to crime scene, and that would be the end of that. On the other hand, I could see an 1889 jury struggling with the absence of a cut throat, and perhaps attaching undue weight to it during deliberations.
      Just because Ms/Mrs Bury's throat was not cut does not mean Bury should not have ended up wearing Devil's Claws and being topped

For those of you who don't understand what I just said, I said: Just because Ms/Mrs Bury's throat was not cut does not mean Bury should not have ended up wearing prison stripes and being hanged.
      Regards
      Mr Holmes
      Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; 10-14-2015, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X