Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber Sole

Hello again.

I wonder if a more learned someone could provide information on how common rubber soled footwear was in the late 19th century and what type of people might need it..them..for their type of work?

I suggest that Jack wore rubber soled shoes. Obviously, they would help a great deal with getting away. People may have seen Jack (or not) but I can't think of anybody hearing him. I read that it was suggested that the police wear rubber soled shoes in their hunt for Jack, which seems like a good idea. Does anyone know why this wasn't implemented?

Now if we look at the C5 and the 2 misfits, as it were, Stride and Kelly and then look at the weather at the time of the 2 murders we see that it was raining. Eddowes and Nichols were killed after rain and Chapman was murdered on a dry night (please correct if wrong! As if I have to ask...).

Now with Stride, if my theory is correct, Jack has the combination of Stride (who I get the impression was one of the tougher of the victims), cobblestones, keeping an ear out, rain, a few anarchists AND rubber soled shoes which wouldn't be the ideal footwear for the terrain. Is it then any wonder then he makes such a hash of the murder? He doesn't need to be disturbed. just get to a point where the hassle outweighs the possible reward. Perhaps he slipped and even fell during the cutting of the throat and made a quick exit to maybe compose himself again and wait for the rain to subside.

Kelly is simpler of course. It's raining but Jack is on the prowl (i guess what I'm suggesting is that Jack had little control of his impulse to kill when it came upon him though I'm not really sure I believe that myself). Remembering the Stride fiasco he looks for a victim with a room.

Of course according to Mary Cox, Blotchy Face moved silently...

So can anyone give some context to the wearing of rubber soles at this time?

People working late at night in hospitals.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

I believe mass production of "rubber soled" shoes didn't happen till about a decade later, but leather soled shoes were common. Noisy shoes from the period came from wooden or metal inserts in the soles.
      dustymiller
      aka drstrange

Comment

The members of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee were issued galoshes along with a whistle and heavy stick.

Comment

i like the album Rubber Soul by the beatles
          "Is all that we see or seem
          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Rubber soled shoes were not common until the 1890s.
            Plimsolls or 'sand shoes' which have rubber soles and canvas uppers were introduced in the 1830s. These were intended as indoor gym shoes or beach wear and would have been an uncommon sight as every day street footwear, particularly in the East End.
            Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

>> i like the album Rubber Soul by the beatles<<

Well, certainly jtr thought you won't see me, because he was a real nowhere man. When it comes to the word Lipski, you'd better think for yourself about what goes on, because B/S man was telling Schwartz, you'd better run for your life. Liz was the girl who thought if I needed someone it is now.

Ouch!

dustymiller
              aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                Rubber soled shoes were not common until the 1890s.
                Plimsolls or 'sand shoes' which have rubber soles and canvas uppers were introduced in the 1830s. These were intended as indoor gym shoes or beach wear and would have been an uncommon sight as every day street footwear, particularly in the East End.
                My understanding is that some police officers had strips of rubber nailed to the soles of their otherwise standard issue boots. They didn't use "rubber soled" footwear in the sense we understand the term today.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                  i like the album Rubber Soul by the beatles
                  You're what I've been needing all my life!

Someone to point out my puns and jokes to people. Seriously!

No more blank faces and awkward looks. With you at my side we could rule the world.

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                    &gt;&gt; i like the album Rubber Soul by the beatles&lt;&lt;

Well, certainly jtr thought you won't see me, because he was a real nowhere man. When it comes to the word Lipski, you'd better think for yourself about what goes on, because B/S man was telling Schwartz, you'd better run for your life. Liz was the girl who thought if I needed someone it is now.

Ouch!
                    'The Sergeant White Album'

'Abberline Road'

'Oh! Murder'

Comment

>>My understanding is that some police officers had strips of rubber nailed to the soles of their otherwise standard issue boots. They didn't use "rubber soled" footwear in the sense we understand the term today.<<

Yes Wensley describes doing that in his autobiography.
                      dustymiller
                      aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Cody75111 View Post

'The Sergeant White Album'

'Abberline Road'

'Oh! Murder'

Someone should examine the "butcher" album cover closely, maybe there's an M, or some Maybrick family names hidden in it?
                        Now we know why it was suppressed!
                        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

If not Leather Apron then Jack The Slipper.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

My understanding is that some police officers had strips of rubber nailed to the soles of their otherwise standard issue boots. They didn't use "rubber soled" footwear in the sense we understand the term today.
                            I believe it was tire rubber Sam. Bicycle? Hansom Cab?
                            Michael Richards

Comment

Either would do, I daresay, Mike.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                              X