Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubber Sole

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    " To our clumsy regulation boots we nailed strips of rubber, usually bits of old bicycle tires (sic) ..."

    40 years of Scotland Yard - Fred. Wensley
    dustymiller
    aka drstrange

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
      " To our clumsy regulation boots we nailed strips of rubber, usually bits of old bicycle tires (sic) ..."

      40 years of Scotland Yard - Fred. Wensley
      Presumably from Dunlop tyres.

      Comment


      • #18
        Goodyear.
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

        Comment


        • #19
          Oops,Dunlop made the first tyre in Belfast in 1888.
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

          Comment


          • #20
            I was about to suggest they had Dunlop on the right boot and Goodyear on the left, but the different tread patterns might have caused them to walk in circles.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by DJA View Post
              Oops,Dunlop made the first tyre in Belfast in 1888.
              First pneumatic tyre, that is....bicycle tyres had existed for a long time before this but were simply solid rubber strips.
              ​​​​​​

              Comment


              • #22
                Suspect garden hose would have been used by the police in 1888,not tyres or tubes.

                In the tyre/industrial rubber timeline,that is what John Dunlop was first recognised for.

                Thomas Hancock and Charles Goodyear had patented rubber vulcanization mid 1845.
                My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                  I was about to suggest they had Dunlop on the right boot and Goodyear on the left, but the different tread patterns might have caused them to walk in circles.
                  Reminds me of handling Michelin's first assymetrical car tyre in 1967.It was a 145x10 for a Mini.

                  Was employed by Pirelli's distributor in Melbourne.We had hold of one before AP Sutherlands,Michelin's distributor down here.
                  My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X