Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE]
    Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
    If Hutchinson isn't Toppy then I don't know how you can find him an interesting personality as there isn't much personality to know about... is there?
    On the contrary, Lechmere, there are large pointers to Hutch's personality -whether he was the Ripper, Toppy, genuine, or a fantasist.

He certainly seems rather attention seeking and imaginative in his press interviews for one thing. Even if you take the view that A Man existed, then he just had to have embroidered wholesale -that description is laughable.
    I find Hutch 'mysterious', but interestingly so. Was he Toppy ? -You didn't prove it but he may have been. If he wasn't then who was he ? Did he really know Kelly ? In what circumstances was he a groom ? Why couldn’t he find another job as a groom ? If he lied to the police, then why ? If he really did wait for ¾ of an hour opposite the Court, but didn’t kill Kelly, then why ? Why didn’t he come forward straight away ?

I am interested in him because he throws up endless questions for me.
    Madam Retro - I suspect you have just got an over active imagination.
    One part of me has. The other part is down to earth and can regard the imaginative part (and enjoy it with pleasure) from the exterior, and know the difference.

Is this a female version of those fellows who develope a worrying over infatuation with Mary Kelly?
    ..."how he interacted with other people -particuarly women." - hmmmm.
    That is your imagination working, I’m afraid (as to infatuation). However , I can explain exactly why I’m curious about how Hutch interacted with women : Actually , I’m just as curious about how any of the men in the Victoria Home interacted with women, simply I don’t know their names and I’ve been briefly introduced to Hutch, and so I know his.

I will be blunt..I think that all those single men living insecure and institutionalised lives were lacking some basic human needs as to things like tenderness, complicity, sex, looking after/being looked after, firtation -maybe just the simple visual presence of women. I think that they would deal with it in different ways according to their personalities –either suppressing their needs and becoming emasculated (like the tramps in Orwells ‘Down and Out in Paris and London’), or they would fight against it and use the local prostitutes, or they would try chatting up decent women but be rejected most times because they had nothing material to offer.

Is it my « overactive imagination » or is it my down to earth side that sees male lodging houses as potential powder kegs with plenty of pent up frustrated and angry men -their focus being women ?

So, yes I’d like to know which camp Hutch fell into -on one hand if he were the Ripper, and on the other by simple curiosity to see how he (and through him, other men in his station in life) dealt with their lot.
    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Is it my « overactive imagination » or is it my down to earth side that sees male lodging houses as potential powder kegs with plenty of pent up frustrated and angry men -their focus being women ?
      I think you may well be right Ruby...it was certainly true of all-male grammar schools in the 60s!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
        I think you may well be right Ruby...it was certainly true of all-male grammar schools in the 60s!

Dave
        I know where you're coming from, Dave ! At 'Burgess Hill school For Girls' (we were dressed St Trinian's style), and we once had a young, fit, builder, sent to work on an an annexe. I will never understand to this day how that bloke got out alive. A girl was expelled over it (she ended up upside down in a dustbin after a standup fight with another girl). I remember that we all 'casually' strolled passed during break, hiking up our gymn-slips to show our knickers. Unfortunately the regulations mean't that they were all identical navy wincyette and we were obliged to wear pop socks in 'american tan' -but never mind.

I think that it's nice that that bloke must have a good memory of that particular job ! (He's probably retired now....).
        Last edited by Rubyretro; 08-05-2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Hi Ruby

I knew I wouldn't have to spell it out...but didn't think you would!

You've made my day though!

Still chuckling

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
            I know where you're coming from, Dave ! At 'Burgess Hill school For Girls' (we were dressed St Trinian's style), and we once had a young, fit, builder, sent to work on an an annexe. I will never understand to this day how that bloke got out alive. A girl was expelled over it (she ended up upside down in a dustbin after a standup fight with another girl). I remember that we all 'casually' strolled passed during break, hiking up our gymn-slips to show our knickers. Unfortunately the regulations mean't that they were all identical navy wincyette and we were obliged to wear pop socks in 'american tan' -but never mind.

I think that it's nice that that bloke must have a good memory of that particular job ! (He's probably retired now....).
            Heheh. Not being English this is all Greek to me

When you say 'St. Trinian's style, are you refering to the old movie, 'Bell's of St. Trinian's'?

'american tan'?

Comment

Hi Barbara

When you say 'St. Trinian's style, are you refering to the old movie, 'Bell's of St. Trinian's'?
              Yes, although it was Belles...

'american tan'?

Not really...

Between British male and North American female the cultural vibes are very difficult to recreate...particularly in such a close post-war setting as the fifties...I'm afraid you'd really need to watch the films to come anywhere near...still not sure a non-brit would get it though...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Thanks for your replies!

I'm gonna go for broke and follow James Kelly from his escape from Broadmoor to his reappearance.

Comment

Sadler.

Because even if it doesn't prove anything, I get to go on a two day pub crawl.

Comment

Diddles.
                    Hi Monty...yes I'd particularly like to follow him the day he thumped against that fence in Hanbury Street...

Dave

Comment

Hi Monty...yes I'd particularly like to follow him the day he thumped against that fence in Hanbury Street...

Dave
                      Love it, Dave !

Comment

Hi Barbara

Yes, although it was Belles...

Between British male and North American female the cultural vibes are very difficult to recreate...particularly in such a close post-war setting as the fifties...I'm afraid you'd really need to watch the films to come anywhere near...still not sure a non-brit would get it though...

All the best

Dave
                        Of course, Belles, seeing it as a kid I did not 'get' that. It happens to be one of my fav movies from my childhood. Not well known over here but my father made sure I saw it. I thought he only wanted me to see it for the quality of a great comedy but I had not recognized the cultural side of it. Yet I could feel the difference of another age, a different place. A great deal to consider regarding that. Really an interesting twist.

Comment

Predictably, Seweryn Klosowski/George Chapman.
                          Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

I considered James Kelly for a New York minute--to remove him from the JtR suspect list. However, I had one close relative that was a paranoid schizophrenic. I know too well that what goes on inside their heads is exhausting and traumatic to them and those around them. It would be too depressing because James was prone to frequent muttering about his perceived persecution.

So--partly because no one here has claimed him yet--I'll take Pipe Man.

There's a slim chance he killed Stride (maybe somewhere between 1% and 5%). I've never seriously suspected him of that murder but I've been wrong before.

Let's suppose he wasn't Stride's killer or an accomplice of her killer. There could have been several other reasons to avoid involving himself in a police investigation:

1. Criminal record, and possibly a suspect in other unsolved crime(s).

2. Army/Navy deserter. (Have you noticed how many men with some type of connection to this case were drawing military pensions under an assumed name?)

3. His mistress lived on/near Berner Street and he didn't want his wife finding out he was still being unfaithful.

4. Didn't want to be late for work because he knew he'd get fired. He desperately needed money for his Tiny Tim son.

5. Didn't speak English and distrusted police. He possibly came from a country where being interviewed by the police usually resulted in torture and/or execution.

Following him would accomplish six things:

1. Establish his guilt or innocence of Stride's murder.

2. Establish his guilt or innocence in the murders of Tabram/ Nichols/ Chapman/ Eddowes/ Kelly.

3. Verify or contradict Schwartz's testimony.

4. Fine-tune the description of BS Man. (Pipe Man was further back on Berner St. than Schwartz so he had BS in his line of sight longer.)

5. Unlike Schwartz, Pipe Man didn't think he was being chased. While leaving the scene he may have looked over his shoulder & seen BS Man leave OR pull Stride into Dutfield's Yard.

6. Get inside his head. Did Pipe Man ever feel guilty for not telling the police what he saw? Did he ever tell anyone what he saw and felt about the Berner Street incident?

Best,
                            Janice

Comment

Working...
                            X