X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am experiencing problems posting.

It is 2 am and I am turning in.

Will get back to you.

One question....as an Aspie,do you experience sleeping difficulties?
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Not a critic, but an observation:

I think the OP is looking for a brain disease, or a medical condition, that would create some degeneration, explaining why the murders stopped after MJK.

While Asperger's is an interesting topic, and was certainly brought up a lot in some recent North American spree killings, it wouldn't make the killer stop after MJK. And we're back to square one.
      Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
      - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
        Aspergers' Syndrome, like schizophrenia, is quite possibly a socially/medical constructed condition, as evidenced by an absence of bio-medical support. It may therefore be a label attached to individuals who are deemed to have deviated from social norms.

http://m.anp.sagepub.com/content/48/11/1067.extract
        To John G

Firstly do you mean Aspergers Syndrome or Autism in general? Most experts believe they are one and the same. Secondly having Autism Spectrum Disorder(I'll use the current terminology) and knowing several others on the Autism Spectrum plus having been treated by a number of Britain's most knowledgeable practitioners in the Autism field I can say with absolute certainty that Aspergers Syndrome is not a socially/medical constructed condition.

Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
          It's certainly possible. It was the height of the industrialization of the country, and there were zero safety laws. (...)Women were eating lead to improve their complexions (...)
          I didn't know that. That is quite interesting.

Lead (and mercury, I think) is never eliminated by the body, and will often end up causing brain damage.
          The Romans aristocracy used lead for a lot cookware and utensils. The disease is called Saturnisme in French, and is believed to be the of cause many of the mentally unstable leaders at the end of the Empire.
          Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
          - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
            I am experiencing problems posting.

It is 2 am and I am turning in.

Will get back to you.

One question....as an Aspie,do you experience sleeping difficulties?
            To DJA

It's debatable as to wether I experience sleeping difficulties. I don't have that many nights of uninterrupted sleep however I usually go to bed during the early hours of the morning and find it sometimes difficult to sleep at more sociable hours for example before midnight.

Cheers John

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
              Aspergers' Syndrome, like schizophrenia, is quite possibly a socially/medical constructed condition, as evidenced by an absence of bio-medical support. It may therefore be a label attached to individuals who are deemed to have deviated from social norms.

As Molloy and Vasil postulate, "Does AS define a condition that exists 'out there' in a reality that is beyond language and the network of social and political forces involved in the process of defining normal and abnormal behaviour.?" (Molloy and Vasil, The Social Construction of Asperger Syndrome: The Pathologizing of Difference?, Disability and Society, vol 17, No 6, 2002, pp.659-669.)

Or as Allen Frances, the chair of the DSM IV puts it, "Fifty years of subsequent research confirms the DSM is no more than a catalogue of syndromes-social constructs, not diseases." See:http://m.anp.sagepub.com/content/48/11/1067.extract
              Well, of course everything is a construct, because we have no idea what is going on in there other than what the patient can report. It took them 20 years to convince me I was Bipolar because I have an odd type not really described in the DSM.

How many of these are actually diseases? How many are disorders? And remember that psychiatry has no ability to identify or treat "social" diseases. If something is off in the way you deal with people, but your brain scans are clean, psychiatry has nothing. It's why the social aspects of the autism spectrum disorders are so hard. It's why there are Axis II disorders. And it's why psychopathy and sociopathy are both ill defined, and not diagnoses in the DSM. The DSM is the best tool we have for diagnosis and identification, but everyone knows it's a flawed tool. It's one of the last branches of medicine where diagnosis can only come from description, and not examination. There is nothing to examine. Nothing to poke at, no pictures to take, no labs to draw except to monitor medication. Occasionally you get lucky and something observable actually exists. But brain science is so far behind that psychiatrists don't have what every other kind of doctor has. Independent confirmation.

Dr. Frances is a bit of burn out case. Well earned, make no mistake. But his point is that while there are some imperfect tools, a psychiatrist is on his own when it comes to determining the best treatment for his patient. There are guidelines when it comes to a DSM diagnosis, but the patient may not respond at all to that. Every shrink out there is doing the best they can with what they have. But they don't have much at all. He argues that it is getting easier to potentially label normal emotion as a disorder. And he's right. Unfortunately, barring an whole other book the size of the DSM devoted exclusively to exclusions (which is impractical, and also ill advised) There's not much they can do except stay alert. The solution is to bring the biological science of psychiatry up to the same level as observation. Which can take decades. Which might be impossible. But that's the solution.

To lurch back on topic, if I was looking for a brain disease in Jack, I would look either at certain toxins or something related to brain injury. Which is ridiculously common by the way, and even more so back then. It can't be a brain disease that messes with dexterity, and most do, so that takes a lot of things off the board. But something like TBI or CTE cause behavioral changes, sometimes violent, and have a high rate of suicide. Paranoia, sudden rage, inability to emotionally regulate, obsessive behavior are all reported with these injuries. It has created killers, though to be fair it has not to my knowledge created serial killers. Something else would have to be present, but the disinhibition caused by the injury may be just enough to let loose someone who was only barely under control. And because the behavioral problems are due to an injury, the people in his life were more likely to forgive and explain away anything they saw that might be strange. People forgive injuries when they don't forgive diseases. Had he been schizophrenic it would not have protected him. Having had his skull cracked would have. People apologize for your behavior for a head injury.
              The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
                Not a critic, but an observation:

I think the OP is looking for a brain disease, or a medical condition, that would create some degeneration, explaining why the murders stopped after MJK.

While Asperger's is an interesting topic, and was certainly brought up a lot in some recent North American spree killings, it wouldn't make the killer stop after MJK. And we're back to square one.
                If,as a Nun from the Refuge reported,Mary Ann Kelly was the cause of it all then her death put an end to the murders.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                  To DJA

It's debatable as to wether I experience sleeping difficulties. I don't have that many nights of uninterrupted sleep however I usually go to bed during the early hours of the morning and find it sometimes difficult to sleep at more sociable hours for example before midnight.

Cheers John
                  Pretty much as I expected.

Much the same.
                  CFS courtesy of a Peptostreptococcus infection acquired in 1982.
                  31% of my gut flora.

Borderline gluten intolerant according to an IG test.Not sure about casein.
                  Borderline glucose intolerant.
                  Adrenal glands are shot.
                  Heart.
                  Cognitive difficulties....when tired......like 23.5 hours a day

Three benzos last night. 4.5 hours sleep.Still waking up.

Was that a double negative.....don't......uninterrupted......

So you could be up at 4am ?
                  Startled easily by overbearing people at that hour?

Depression?
                  Last edited by DJA; 01-16-2016, 02:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post

Lead (and mercury, I think) is never eliminated by the body, and will often end up causing brain damage.
                    Many of us oldies have a lot of tetra ethyl lead from petrol constantly recirculating in our bodies.

Mercury from coal fires has entered the environment in a big way.
                    Think of the London smog in the 1880s.

I cannot eat any seafood in safety.
                    Any mercury upsets my strep and it reacts with Hydrogen Sulphide which is a body toxin.

Comment

Isn't siphyllus or w.e. also an STD? And didn't he go after hookers? Could be pissed if he thought he got it from a hooker.

Though the crimes are realllllly typical serial killer-ish not like simply anger attacks coz he's mad about a disease. E.g. the bizarre eyelid carvings and stuff, increasing brutality and/or frequency with each attack...

I also wonder if hookers would even service men with certain conditions. Damages their livelihood to catch anything like that. Seems this dude managed to convince them to come with him presumably for sexual services.
                      Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 04-19-2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RipperNoob View Post
                        Is it possible that Jack suffered from a brain disease? I do not mean this to mean mental illness such as schizophrenia, but instead, that perhaps Jack had a disease which had begun to effect his brain, which caused the murders. Perhaps, for example, advanced Syphilis

The medical and forensic evidence suggest that the murderer was asexual, not syphilitic.

Comment

My view of Jack is that did not suffer a brain disease or at least there is no evidence for it.

I would say he would appear to others as perfectly normal, to his family, to work colleagues, and to the world at large.

I would say it was highly likely he was a psychopath though, and his murder spree was triggered by situational reasons e.g. to suppress a scandal.
                          Last edited by mpriestnall; 05-11-2023, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Look at the mutilations...pure rage in combination with psychopathy.

Comment

Working...
                            X