No announcement yet.

Let's narrow down some Ripper 'facts'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike, it's always a pleasure to split hair with you when I have no tchat to chew.

Comment

• How does the killer know though? If it takes Nichols father to correct her age from being said to be a low of 30, how does the killer know that she is in her 40's? Is she passing for younger since it is the father that corrects it?
      I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
      Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

• correspondence

Hello Joe. That's a very good question. Frequently age and looks are mismatched.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
          ...Makes much more sense to me if she undressed for a punter - Blotchy perhaps, but not necessarily - who had promised her good money and might even have suggested staying the night.
          Quite so. With a night as cool as that, and two broken window pane's.
          Where Mrs Prater upstairs goes to bed fully clothed, but Kelly wears only a chemise?
          The principal difference, likely, Prater slept alone, but Kelly was entertaining.

To the point about financial worries. Was she drinking away her sorrows?
          How many people get so depressed they turn to drink? It's not unusual, and even today young people (like Kelly?) tend to brush off their problems, where someone older (like Cox?) and wiser "cannot sleep if they owe money".
          We simply don't know enough to judge.

Regards, Jon S.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Now if money was not the reason for leaving her room about 2AM,what was?Not food,she had had a meal.Ditto drink.Coal for the fire?Well we could think of many silly reasons like that,but no sensible or logical reason springs readily to mind.We are led by Hutchinson's,"Could you lend me sixpence",and that is supposed to explain everything.Wake up!.The person who had most to worry about rent arreas was Mcarthy,and he wasn't out on the street at 2AM worrying whether they would be paid.

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
              ...We are led by Hutchinson's,"Could you lend me sixpence",and that is supposed to explain everything.Wake up!.
              Ah, Kelly had a death wish?
              She fancied a lb of grapes, ...black ones!
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Posted diffidently as a newbie, I think it's interesting to contrast Cox, who's panicking over finding her rent, with Kelly who's totally unconcerned...I know it's not an original thought (I believe Chava propounded it on another thread) but just what DID Kelly have over McCarthy?

And if perhaps she blagged the fish and chip supper out of him, (it had to come from somewhere) was that the straw that broke the camels back?
                (Ducks)

Comment

• Welcome Cogidubnus. How is the palace at Fishbourne going?

Comment

• A bit chilly...I always thought this was a roofless crime though!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                      Posted diffidently as a newbie, I think it's interesting to contrast Cox, who's panicking over finding her rent, with Kelly who's totally unconcerned...I know it's not an original thought (I believe Chava propounded it on another thread) but just what DID Kelly have over McCarthy?

And if perhaps she blagged the fish and chip supper out of him, (it had to come from somewhere) was that the straw that broke the camels back?
                      (Ducks)
                      Afternoon Cogidubnus, last time I was at your house it rained incessantly

I dunno that Kelly had anything over McCarthy - not sure it would've been easy to have anything over Big Man John, but I do idly wonder if they already knew each other when she moved in to Miller's Court via other McCarthy's. Just a thought.

And welcome to the boards

Comment

Working...
                      X