Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Ripperologists Been Polled As To Who They Think Jack Really Was?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Ripperologists Been Polled As To Who They Think Jack Really Was?

I always wanted to ask this. I've read so many theories over the years. I've been wondering, even if you don't agree, is there a name that the majority of Ripperologists seem to gear their attention towards as to who "Jack" actually was? Which suspect seemingly gets the most votes?

Welcome.

I think you'll find your answer if you explore old posts and polls and maybe do a search or two.

I don't know how much you know about the case, but the answer often seems to depend on the question asked - and also changes with time.

Historically, if you went back to the 50s and before you had the traditional "toff" (probably a doctor) in top hat, cape and with a Gladstone bag.

In the 60s after the emergence of Macnaghten's views, M J Druitt was the star turn.

Stephen Knight introduced the "Royal Conspiracy" in the mid 1970s which is now outdated and demonstrably wrong, but remains perhaps the best known theory to the general public - contenders, Prince Albert Victor and Sir William Gull.

In the 80s, "Kosminski" came out of the shadows, shown by Martin Fido and the Swanson marginalia to be the favoured suspect of two top cops of the time. A little later the American Tumblety was found to be mentioned in period letter.

Since then we have had the "Diary" (almost certainly a forgery) with Maybrick as Ripper, and Patricia Cornwell's ineffective attempt to label the artist Sickert as the killer.

So on Casbook you'll find Druittists, Diaryites, Tumbletonians, Kosminskibuffs and many others. There are some personal theories and some protagonists have disowned their own ideas at times.

But search around and you'll find some very interesting answers to your question.

Enjoy Casebook,

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by fromhell View Post
      I've been wondering, even if you don't agree, is there a name that the majority of Ripperologists seem to gear their attention towards as to who "Jack" actually was?
      Short answer: no, there isn't. Phil H summarizes the situation quite well. Still, welcome, and please hang around; there is much to be learned and thought about here.

Comment

fromhell - you haven't responded to your own thread, so I don't know how real your interest is, but I did some searching. These old threads might be of use to you:

Name your top 3 suspects with top 3 reasons why you think so...

Your top 3 suspects?
        For any suspect discussion not pertaintaining to a particular or listed suspect.

Cordially

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by fromhell View Post
          I always wanted to ask this. I've read so many theories over the years. I've been wondering, even if you don't agree, is there a name that the majority of Ripperologists seem to gear their attention towards as to who "Jack" actually was? Which suspect seemingly gets the most votes?
          I think this is an interesting question and i would like to see a poll on this. it would be good to have an updated poll on the favored suspects of Casebook members.

Comment

Why not start one?

So long as there's a "none of the above" category, I'll vote - maybe several times!!

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H View Post
              fromhell - you haven't responded to your own thread, so I don't know how real your interest is, but I did some searching. These old threads might be of use to you:

Name your top 3 suspects with top 3 reasons why you think so...

Your top 3 suspects?
              For any suspect discussion not pertaintaining to a particular or listed suspect.

Cordially

Phil
              No, I'm still here!

I used to be a member here years ago.

I just thought I'd see where we are at this point. I understand we're all on the hunt, but a nice summary of present day is always interesting. Thanks for the responses!

Comment

From listening to the Rippercast, I have noticed that there seems to be some favor these days for the idea that Jack the Ripper was probably a relatively unknown person living in the East End whose name has never been associated with the murders.

The idea seems to be that some believe that there has never been strong enough evidence to truly support the candidacy of any of the known suspects and that there is no reason, logically, for the real murderer to have necessarily been one of those who has been named. After all, Whitechapel was an impoverished and overcrowded area of London which had no lack of crime. Add to that the primitive state of forensics at the time along with a society in which it was rather easy for a person to "disappear" or to assume new identities, especially if you were a member of the poorer classes.

This is a reasonable theory and I do not have any argument with which I could counter it.

However, I personally find Martin Fido's David Cohen theory to be compelling enough to really consider as a possible solution. Maybe we will never know, but I think we are not out of possible leads yet. Granted, I am not a real "ripperologist".
                "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Phil H has summed it up very well, the most popular suspect depends largely on what particular period of time you're talking about.

Many of us have suspects who we lean towards, myself included, but at the same time it will not be at all surprising if we ever learn JTR's name beyond all doubt, and collectively look at one another and say...."Who?".

Cheers,
                  Adam.

Comment

I think "unknown" would be fairly popular, but it's also a category that can embrace a major theory : "unknown Polish Jew" might be the answer for Andersonites who reject Cohen or Kosminski.

Comment

Hi All,

The reason Jack the Ripper has not been identified is because he didn't exist.

Which makes a poll somewhat redundant.

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

What do you mean, Simon?

It's Saturday afternoon, I've finished raking the leaves. College football is over till the bowl games. Pujols has jumped ship and signed with LA

So I've got all day, and we're all ears. Can you explain, please?

Roy
                        Sink the Bismark

Comment

Hi Roy,

It's hard to explain in a few short paragraphs, which why I have written a book, but once you allow yourself to grasp the concept, jettison all the folklore and really think about it, it starts to become obvious.

My apologies if this answer is unsatisfactory.

Regards,

Simon
                          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                            Phil H has summed it up very well, the most popular suspect depends largely on what particular period of time you're talking about.

Many of us have suspects who we lean towards, myself included, but at the same time it will not be at all surprising if we ever learn JTR's name beyond all doubt, and collectively look at one another and say...."Who?".

Cheers,
                            Adam.
                            Among the contemporary suspects known to us its amazing how few are working class gentile locals. This would be the most likely group the killer came from. I have little faith in the killer being a modern suspect.

He was either in the police files or hes been missed completely imo.

Comment

agreeable chap

Hello Simon.

"The reason Jack the Ripper has not been identified is because he didn't exist."

Hmm, can't disagree with that.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Working...
                              X