Who was 'Jack the Ripper' - the poll.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was 'Jack the Ripper' - the poll.

Its another Friday and time for another old poll to be pulled into 2008 from before the forum crash for an update.

If today,you HAD to accuse ONE suspect of being Jack the Ripper,who would it be ?

JOSEPH BARNETT
    4.29%
    WILLIAM BURY
    5.71%
    GEORGE CHAPMAN
    8.57%
    MONTAGUE JOHN DRUITT
    7.14%
    CARL FEIGENBAUM
    4.29%
    GEORGE HUTCHINSON
    10.00%
    AARON KOSMINSKI
    8.57%
    ROBERT D'ONSTON STEPHENSON
    0%
    FRANCIS TUMBLETY
    5.71%
    OTHER (PLEASE SPECIFY IN A POST BELOW)
    45.71%

I have selected "Other" as none of those really tickle my fancy at present!

And where is Deeming, Sickert, Maybrick and Sir Melville Leslie Macnaghten
    Regards Mike

Comment

William Hardiman It's probably a total unknown but you have to show a spine and pick some name.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

As you say Stan,at least you have come up with a name that interests you - nice one.

Comment

Since I could not find Joe Fleming on the list, I opted for "other". And I don´t believe that Hutch and Fleming were one and the same...

The best,
          Fisherman

Comment

Similar sentiments to the above post. I am also a Flemingite (Flemingist?) but I DO believe he and Hutch were one and the same so I voted 'George Hutchinson'. Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Carrotty Nell writes:

"Hope that makes sense."

Yes. And no.

The best!

Fisherman

Comment

I vote that we change Hutchinson's name to HUNCHinson, because there is absolutely no evidence that he killed anyone. Nothing. Yet, people have a hunch about him. It's really hard to swallow.

Mike
                huh?

Comment

I vote that we change Hutchinson's name to HUNCHinson, because there is absolutely no evidence that he killed anyone. Nothing.
                  Come on, Mike, you know that isn't remotely the case.

I've never heard anyone argue for Hutchinson's candidacy on the basis of a "hunch". I have heard convincing arguments for Hutchinson being as likely a suspect as you're likely to encounter at this remove in time, given the current crappy crop. If there's a strong argument to be made for an individual behaving suspiciously near a crime scene, with only that individual's dubious explanation for why he was there (offered, no doubt, when he'd got wind that he'd been seen), there are legitimate grounds for suspicion. That's only reasonable. Not "hard to swallow" at all. People generally exhibit a preference for "unknown local" and yet here is an "unknown local" who fits the above criteria.

For what it's worth, I also agree with Carrotty Nell.

Best regards,
                  Ben
                  Last edited by Ben; 10-03-2008, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                    William Hardiman It's probably a total unknown but you have to show a spine and pick some name.

Stan,

Are you talking about the Hardiman in this post by Rob aka CatsMeatMan?

The cause of death(Pthisis Haemoptysis) of my JTR suspect,James Hardiman at 29 Hanbury Street on 22 December 1891,was certified by the same Dr Dukes!

I saw something about this earlier, maybe before the crash. There was a young guy, a teenager, wasn't there, who was not mentally stable?
                    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hi Barry,

Yay a new poll!

I had to opt for the last choice, at least for now.
                      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Hi Cel,

Yes, William Hardiman, James' teenage brother.
                        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

I don't like any of these choices really, but I voted for William Bury as the least unlikely of the bunch. Bury lived in the general area (Bow), was a convicted wife murderer with a history of mental problems, and was known to consort with prostitutes. He was the right age at the time and more or less matched the descriptions given by some of the witnesses. If it wasn't him (and it probably wasn't) it was some unknown guy very much like him.

Comment

Hi Stan,

I'll bet he was, or looked, about 19 in August 1888.

Comment

As mentioned in another topic, none of the above, but a local man, who knew the area, the women and when best to ply his trade, so to speak.
                              If and only if my arm was twisted and I had to choose from the list, I'd choose either Tumblety or Kosminski.

Comment

Working...
                              X