X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    All the press accounts of the inquest need to be treated with caution, too. Most, if not all, seem to derive from a news agency report, anyway, and if that was flawed then we need to be even more careful.
    And still, Steve was able to prove that Paul was never out of earshot - using press accounts only. Astonishing! He used three basically similar accounts and said that since there were not as many accounts contradicting them, they became true. Abra-cadabra!

Canīt have that, can we?

... but if we CAN, it applies that the press accounts from the find of the uterus bundle in the Jackson case contains three or more versions where it is said that the lower abdomen or the abdomen of a woman was found in the bundle. And the fewest accounts gainsay it, so I guess it must be true. Ā la Steve.

Ridiculous, ainīt it?

If it werenīt for the press accounts, ripperology would be a meagre discipline indeed. Weighing the material fairly and with an open mind is always a clever thing to do.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 06-14-2018, 01:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
    The Lloyds article must absolutely be treated with caution, yes.
    All the press accounts of the inquest need to be treated with caution, too. Most, if not all, seem to derive from a news agency report, anyway, and if that was flawed then we need to be even more careful.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
    Unless the reporter spoke to the witness first hand, or was present when the witness said what he did, then the evidence is secondary and has to be treated with caution !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
    The Lloyds article must absolutely be treated with caution, yes.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by FrankO View Post
    I more or less agree, Christer. I think that the information Baxter had, upon which he based his questions to Mizen, simply didn’t give Baxter any cause to think there was any significant distance between Lechmere and Paul throughout the whole encounter.
    Or, indeed, any reason to think that he needed to establish that distance so as to rule in or out that Paul could have been out of earshot.

A very fair and balanced post, Frank.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 06-14-2018, 12:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FrankO
    replied
    However, the way I see things, Baxter did not entertain any suspicion at all versus Lechmere, wherefore he had absolutely no reason to try and establish the exact distance inbetween the carmen and whether they were within earshot of each other or not. His question - however it was phrased (only Steve claims to know that well enough to be able to conclude factually from it) - was therefore more likely than not aimed to establish Pauls overall presence, and not the exact distance between the carmen.
    I more or less agree, Christer. I think that the information Baxter had, upon which he based his questions to Mizen, simply didn’t give Baxter any cause to think there was any significant distance between Lechmere and Paul throughout the whole encounter.

We seemingly agree on that and so in my book, establishing (or trying to establish) the different likelihoods of a certain distance between the carmen at a certain time is a waste of good discussion power.
    That would be a waste indeed, Fish.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Marriott
    replied
    Itīs a pity for all of us that the issue was never clarified, Caz. Itīs a problem we all share. Pauls assertion of having spoken to Mizen is only laid down unequvocally in the Lloyds article, and we know that does not give a true reflection of what happened. Furthermore, it may be that the reporter spiced things up, and that Paul didnīt actually say that he did the talking.

Any which way, the issue is no more of a problem for me than for you.
    Unless the reporter spoke to the witness first hand, or was present when the witness said what he did, then the evidence is secondary and has to be treated with caution !

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
    Hi Caz

Yes indeed it is. Of course the aim of Mizen was to prevent certain public questions being asked about his performance (none of which had any effect on the actual murder) and this he achieved perfectly, to the extent it was not looked at seriously until Lechmere was proposed as a suspect.

Of course i beleive that the combination of Neil's testimony on 1st and the Lloyds article 2nd are the reason for Mizen's story ( and i use that word intentionally) at the inquest on the 3rd.
    However i came to this conclusion from anaylisis of the various sources, i didn't come up with the idea and then go looking for the stuff to support it.

Steve
    Then again, you apparently also came to the conclusion that Kelly died twice and that it is proven that Paul was never out of earshot in Bucks Row.

And you did that all on your own too, analysing the various sources.

I must say I am looking forward to your book by now.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by harry View Post
    Fisherman,who would want to troll you.All you appear to be is a mouthpiece for two indiviuals who so far have not come forward to confirm you are telling the truth about them.That's stating a fact,not trolling.

What have you proven so far as guilt applies ?Nothing.Can you
    place Cross in the company of Nichols while she was alive?No you cannot.

Can you prove factually,that Cross cut the throat of Nichols and caused the mutilatins to her body? No you cannot

Can you prove,that on leaving home that morning,or later on his way to work,the intent to kill and mutilate was a driving force? No you cannot

Can you prove that in his possession that morning was a weapon that caused the injuries to Nichols?No you cannot.

You have nothing in the way of proof.Nothing,and you claim to have prima facis evidence of guilt.How strange.
    Sorry, Harry, but you have disqualified yourself from discussing the case with me.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by caz View Post
    Hi Steve,

What I find quite amusing is that Fish needs both men to have lied about the fact that Paul did his own share of the talking while in PC Mizen's company, but PC Mizen isn't playing ball.

What Fish needed was for PC Mizen to have exposed their lies by stating that not only did Paul not utter a sodding word to him, but he was not even in a good position to hear or confirm what Cross had told him, let alone judge how he - Mizen - should have reacted.

The problem for Fish is that PC Mizen never said anything like this, but meekly went along with the basic fact that two men were there when he was told about the woman and he just said "All right" in response. If Cross was the first to speak, then it was Cross who informed Mizen of the situation, with Paul chiming in. But if Paul never chimed in and wasn't even within earshot, it's a great pity for Fish that Mizen never did make that clear.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Itīs a pity for all of us that the issue was never clarified, Caz. Itīs a problem we all share. Pauls assertion of having spoken to Mizen is only laid down unequvocally in the Lloyds article, and we know that does not give a true reflection of what happened. Furthermore, it may be that the reporter spiced things up, and that Paul didnīt actually say that he did the talking.

Any which way, the issue is no more of a problem for me than for you.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 06-13-2018, 10:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    And that is worrying, because you'd think if one or both carmen had been telling outright porkies, Mizen's account would have challenged theirs.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Not so, Iīm afraid. The story the carman told was confirmed to Mizen as he saw Neil up in Bucks Row - there WAS a PC in place, just as had been stated.

Following on, when Neil said that he was the finder of the body and that it was not true that two men had found it before him, Mizen had a reaffirmation of the carmans story.

Everything added up AS LONG AS NEIL STUCK TO HIS STORY.

Mizen must have been flummoxed, to say the least, by the developments that ensued. I think there is every chance that he will have asked himself where things did not add up, and that he may have weighed in the possibility that he himself could have in some way misheard or misunderstood the carmans words.

What I think he did was to then go to the inquest and state as honestly as he could what he thought had transpired, and I think he did so without nourishing any suspicion against Lechmere, something that was overall reflected by the rest of the participators too. None of them will have realized the explosive power built into the disagreement between Mizen and Lechmere. I have heard it stated that this suggestion is stupid and that anybody would realize that power, but the fact of the matter is that it was overlooked by generations of ripperologists and armchair detectives, and so I think it must be accepted that it was simply overlooked by the inquest too.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    I suppose it all depends on whether Mizen was aware of what Paul had already said publicly, in that newspaper story.

If Mizen was aware that Paul had given himself the role of main spokesman, in order to trash the PC's lethargic reaction, and knew damned well that this man Paul had not even bothered to speak to him, but had let Cross do the talking and therefore had no idea what was said or if the PC's reaction had been in any way inappropriate, he'd have had every reason to say so, when asked if anyone was with Cross when the latter spoke to him:

"Two men approached together, but when Cross spoke to me, the other man was some little distance away and said nothing."

Not only would this have dealt neatly with the trouble Paul was trying to cause and put him back in his box, but it would have been Mizen's duty to say so, if he knew Paul had lied in that account because he had not told him the woman was dead, and in fact only Cross had said anything at all and had played down the urgency.

Love,

Caz
    X
    The first words clinch the matter - " it all depends".

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Blimey, Fish, it might have been better for you if you had engaged your brain before putting your mouth into gear in the first place. But you don't know when to stop digging that hole for yourself, do you?

Love,

Caz
    X
    The only hole around here was dug by the poster who could not tell misogyny from a recommendation to take up less disturbing hobbies than ripperology. Since that poster (you, by the way) did notn have the decency to retract that mistake, I will make it abundantly clear how wrong it was.

So dig away, by all means.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    He was also a man that was never presented with the case against CL’s guilt to compare. But according to Fish you only need to hear one side to make a fair decision (where have we seen evidence of that before .)
    I have told you before to stop this nonsense. I do NOT think that a fair decision is reached by using one side only, but I DO think that it is om great imporatance and interest to hear if the prosecution side of a case thinks that the evidence is enough to take to court.

Please do not misrepresent me any more on this issue. Not out of ignorance or out of malice!

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
    Yes, of course, Abby (and Christer)

Simply... the other finders didn`t have anyone to corroborate their story of finding the victim.
    Lechmere didnīt either, to be perfectly precise. What Paul could corroborate was that Lechmere was in place near the victim, not how he found her.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
    I do wish you would stop this quoting Scobie as if a Prima facie is anything other than a decision to proceed to trial.
    Every prosecution by the authorities requires such, that those whom are found innocent and guilty.

Its nothing more than a Barrister saying that on the evidence available the case cannot be dismissed.

Scobie however is just one man, others in his profession may not agree with him.

And of course many cases which go to court are dismissed or simply lost.

Steve
    Yes, many cases are lost. But in those cases too, it applies that the prosecution has made the call that the case is good enough to win, otherwise they would not have gone to court.

I am not saying that a case against Lechmere would have been won. I am saing that Scobie thought that it looked like a case that could have been won, a case good enough to prosecute.

And far from just saying that the case could not be dismissed - which, incidentally, is what people out here are saying in many a case - he actually said that the case suggests that Lechmere was guilty. And he added that a jury would not like the implications.

So Iīm afraid that you will have to learn to consort with Scobie. His is an important view. And yes, potentially other barristers may disagree with him. But it will take a barrister disagreeing with him before that is an established fact. And even if it happens, we will still have a situation where legal experts are discussing the bouyancy of a legal case against Lechmere.

I have asked before, but have never gotten an answer: Which other Ripper suspect has that going for him, as a suspect?

The answer is of course: Not a single one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X