What makes Druitt a viable suspect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    I don’t really understand why it came out as it did. It wasn’t intended as a shouty post though.
    Hi Herlock,

There are several oddities about the 'new' software on this site, and it does some strange things. One frustration is that there can be a huge difference between what you see in "preview post" and what actually gets posted--unexplained spacing, etc. One would think it would be set up so "what you see is what you get."

One thing I learned is that if you're going to cut-and-paste, it is best to run it through the 'paste' boxes in the upper left corner of the tool bar below. The third one over from the left is a "plain text" paste, and the fourth one over is "paste from Word." This usually cleans up the text so you aren't left shouting your lungs out at Mr. Wood or whomever else is on the receiving end. Try it next time; it's pretty easy.

Beyond that, there are still some other eccentricities I've yet to figure out. RP
    Last edited by rjpalmer; 06-11-2019, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• Hi Roy,

I don't know what the WM were all about, but—

"T.P O'Connor knew what the WM were all about . . . "

Why would T.P. O'Connor, a political bruiser, try to provoke an official inquiry into Scotland Yard's failure to catch Jack the Ripper at such a politically-sensitive moment?

I doubt it was to discover whether the Ripper was a Polish Jew, a suicidal doctor, a homicidal Russian or perhaps Fred Thwait from the fish shop on Bethnal Green Road?

None were exactly headline-grabbing suspects.

How could the police have owned up to any one of these suspects without looking inept, and, given the political situation, how could any of these suspects have given the Conservative Party any cause for concern?

Would T.P. O'Connor have launched such an elaborate story without having a shrewd idea of what the WM were all about and how they could impact the Conservative Party?

The only answer from Scotland Yard was a pathetic story which appeared at the same time in The Morning Leader regarding a Scotland Yard Inspector who had a hunch about a lunatic in Dartmoor Asylum and claimed to have in his possession a “knife of Chinese manufacture with which the Whitechapel murders had been perpetrated”.

Never mind that there was no asylum at Dartmoor.

But, ignoring the unlikelihood of his trifecta, why didn't Macnaghten step in and tell the Sun that Cutbush couldn't have been the Ripper because of the three suspects he had short-listed in his confidential memorandum?

What was so secret about his three suspects?

The secret was that they weren't true. They were BS.

Regards,

Simon
      Last edited by Simon Wood; 06-11-2019, 05:42 AM.
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Hi Herlock,

There are several oddities about the 'new' software on this site, and it does some strange things. One frustration is that there can be a huge difference between what you see in "preview post" and what actually gets posted--unexplained spacing, etc. One would think it would be set up so "what you see is what you get."

One thing I learned is that if you're going to cut-and-paste, it is best to run it through the 'paste' boxes in the upper left corner of the tool bar below. The third one over from the left is a "plain text" paste, and the fourth one over is "paste from Word." This usually cleans up the text so you aren't left shouting your lungs out at Mr. Wood or whomever else is on the receiving end. Try it next time; it's pretty easy.

Beyond that, there are still some other eccentricities I've yet to figure out. RP
        Cheers Roger. I also have real problems getting quotation marks and apostrophes to appear. I usually use the icon at the top left underneath the camera icon but it doesn’t always work first time. It’s a real pain.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Hi Simon,

But, ignoring the unlikelihood of his trifecta, why didn't Macnaghten step in and tell the Sun that Cutbush couldn't have been the Ripper because of the three suspects he had short-listed in his confidential memorandum?

What was so secret about his three suspects?

The secret was that they weren't true. They were BS.
          Couldn't the relevant fact of the matter be that Macnaghten only said that the three were more likely suspects than Cutbush? None of them could have been proven in a Court Of Law so simply naming them couldn’t have exonerated Cutbush in any way.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
            Hi Roy,

I don't know what the WM were all about, but—

"T.P O'Connor knew what the WM were all about . . . "

Right, that's what I asked you.

You didn't answer. Instead you gave me a list of questions for me to answer based on your political machinations theorom, which is firmly grounded in "Blame White Men in Positions of Power for All Ills of Mankind," which you have stated is the foundational principle of your approach to life.

OK lets' cut to the chase, Simon. Let's say I get hold of your 600 page book and read it. Can it serve as the 600 page instructional manual for your re-education camp offered in correspondence form for dumb crackers like me, so that, and please, I'm begging you, I will not have to pay money and attend your actual re-education camp which you are conducting this summer on a plot you have rented outside Santa Rosa New Mexico, where the courses are held in a trailer that the AC is broke. Please tell me I don't actually have to attend like those poor folks in Hong Kong whom the Red Chinese are trying to pass a law to have them extradited to mainland China. Puuuulease! Have mercy on an old white cracker. I know not what I do or say or who I am. I only stumbled upon Casebook as a harmless hobby. Did not know I was walking into a minefield that someday I would instead would be recruited to morph into a woke social justice warrior. I get bombarded with that pap all day anyway here in the US because our means of mass communication is wholly and solely owned by a bunch of said woke types.

Your ob serv,

Roy
            Sink the Bismark

Comment

• all I want to know is if there was no ripper and a conspiracy-who was it and why did they do it? Can you answer that Simon? isn't that a simple enough request?
              I mean someone murdered these women.

Comment

• Hi Abby,

I'm with you. That's what I would like to know.

The trouble is we're hampered by 131 years of assorted BS, including over 300 suspects [!] and hosts of people who, on the basis of absolutely nothing whatsoever, believe JtR existed; some even insisting that he must have existed because otherwise why would the amiable Mr. Macnaghten and that pillar of moral rectitude Sir Robert Anderson have had so much to say about him?

So, to answer your question, I can only say that I don't know, but I am trying to find out how, why and by whom these women were murdered.

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                  all I want to know is if there was no ripper and a conspiracy-who was it and why did they do it? Can you answer that Simon? isn't that a simple enough request?
                  Hi Abby
                  Isn't it a case of What , why and who .

You first have to accept What was going on may be a little different , or at least accept the possibility , before you start to see different angles .

Why may hopefully then come to us

Who? .... probably never would but is that so important if we get as far as why ?

In other words , just because Simon realises what was going on , why and who may not yet .....or indeed ever, be within reach , but there's a chance once you're willing to accept the possibility of 'what'
                  You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                    Hi Herlock,

So, you've been reading Orsam's 62,000-word critique of my book. Good luck. I hope you didn't get soaked in drool.

I think I'm right in thinking that large, bold, italic fonts, and large regular fonts constitute shouting.

Were they yours, or his?

Regards,

Simon
                    Hi Simon,

i have to ask though. Do you accept David’s point that there was nothing inaccurate about Macnaghten using the phrase ‘homicidal maniac’ in the light of what he’s since found out?
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• I don't think the police knew who was responsible for the Whitechapel murders, although that's somewhat incidental, because no one else does either.That said, it seems pretty likeky to me that there was a single individual who was responsible for at least 4 of the C5 victims, whoever he may have been.

Comment

• Why would T.P. O'Connor, a political bruiser, try to provoke an official inquiry into Scotland Yard's failure to catch Jack the Ripper at such a politically-sensitive moment?
                        Simon, isn’t it simply the case that The Sun just wanted their Cutbush story looked into and verified? After the series of articles they said “that “our story may be subjected by the authorities and the public to the most rigid investigation.””

The use of the word ‘‘our’’ surely shows that they weren’t seeking an enquiry into The Whitechapel Murders as a whole but just their own solution.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                          I don't think the police knew who was responsible for the Whitechapel murders, although that's somewhat incidental, because no one else does either.That said, it seems pretty likeky to me that there was a single individual who was responsible for at least 4 of the C5 victims, whoever he may have been.
                          Agreed. If the police were looking at the case today what other conclusion could they have arrived at? Five murders over the space of two months. All within a confined area. All prostitutes. All with their throats cut. All murdered in the streets (except one who had her own room) All with abdominal mutilations (except one, who might not have been a victim, but we at least have a plausible reason why no mutilations took place.) The police would hardly have needed to call in Sherlock Holmes to tell them that someone person was killing prostitutes.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            all I want to know is if there was no ripper and a conspiracy-who was it and why did they do it? Can you answer that Simon? isn't that a simple enough request?
                            Agreed.
                            Occasionally, the simplest of questions get lost in the fog.
                            No matter how large the web, no matter how complex the intrigue, at the end of the day these women were murdered by someone for some reason.
                            The basic questions do not change.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Agreed. If the police were looking at the case today what other conclusion could they have arrived at? Five murders over the space of two months. All within a confined area. All prostitutes. All with their throats cut. All murdered in the streets (except one who had her own room) All with abdominal mutilations (except one, who might not have been a victim, but we at least have a plausible reason why no mutilations took place.) The police would hardly have needed to call in Sherlock Holmes to tell them that someone person was killing prostitutes.
                              Yeah, it's hardly brain surgery is it? Mind you, I wonder what the press would have said if the police had just scratched their heads and said, "this is a bit odd: mutilated bodies keep turning up in Whitechapel. I wonder what that could mean. Mass suicide? Some grand freemasonary conspiracy? Who knows?"
                              Last edited by John G; 06-11-2019, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• To quote Carl Sagan: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X