Druitt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Druitt.

I started this thread just so that I could respond to a post by PI when it was pointed out (correctly) that any discussion of Druitt was sidetracking the topic of the thread.

—————

Posted by PI. My responses are emboldened.

I think that what it comes down to is that unless I can prove that Druitt was not the Whitechapel Murderer, in particular that he could not physically have been in Whitechapel when Nichols was murdered, then he remains a suspect.

Druitt was named as a suspect by Macnaghten and later others. Whether you think he’s a suspect or not is neither here nor there PI. He’s already been named so we can’t un-name him. You can say that you think that he’s a weak suspect of course but he cannot be eliminated by facts. I can only name around 3 suspects out of around 200 that can be eliminated by facts. The rest can only be ‘eliminated’ in the opinion of the individual.

I cannot do either of those things, but fail to see why Druitt should even be considered a suspect.

Druitt is a suspect because he was named as such by the Assistant Chief Constable of the Met. Anyone named by such a senior police officer should be of interest to anyone interested in the case PI. We should be wonder what evidence Macnaghten saw that led him to name Druitt in the first place and not simply dismiss him out of hand because we aren’t in possession of that information. This is the only fair approach. An assumption that Macnaghten was lying isn’t because it makes no sense.

Large numbers of people may have been on holiday at that time - including Walter Sickert in France - and physically capable of being in Whitechapel instead.

Does that make them suspects?

No. no one has ever made such a claim. I don’t for a minute suspect Sickert of being involved but that still doesn’t mean that I can make unproven claims simply to dismiss him.

Macnaghten wrote about private information.

Maybe if we could see it, we would laugh at it.

Or maybe we wouldn’t. Do you honestly think that the Assistant Chief Constable of the Met would name Druitt as a likely suspect on the basis of ‘laughable’ evidence PI? Seriously? Of course it’s entirely possible that he felt that the evidence was persuasive but Druitt wasn’t actually the killer. Maybe he overestimated the strength of the evidence? Maybe the evidence was misleading? But surely you can see that we shouldn’t dismiss something when we don’t know what it was? Wouldn’t that be just as wrong as someone saying “well Macnaghten saw evidence so Druitt must have been guilty?” All that I’ve ever suggested PI is that we should keep and open mind on Druitt.

Druitt did not live with his family at the time of the murders, so how could Macnaghten have received convincing information from Druitt's relatives that pointed to his guilt?

How do you know that the private information wasn’t a confession? Or that when Druitt was with his brother he didn’t let something slip?

The problem here is that your expecting me to try and fill in every singly gap in our knowledge about Druitt and when I can’t you’re taking as further evidence of innocence.

Abberline dismissed the idea that Druitt could have been the Whitechapel Murderer.

The retired Inspector Abberline.

Druitt was obviously tall, as fearsome fast-bowlers invariably are - far taller than the suspects reported by witnesses.

We don’t have Druitt’s height. From photographs he doesn’t look excessively tall and as Jeff has pointed out, we have to be wary of eyewitnesses on these kind of estimations.

When I made this point previously, someone said that they knew of a fast bowler who was not tall.

West Indies fast bowler Fidel Edwards was 5’ 5” tall, Dale Steyn was around 5’ 8” I believe, Sri Lankan Lasith Malinda was 5’6/7” but most are taller. Some are very tall. People in general weren’t as tall in those days.

It is always the same: every point in favour of the so-called suspect is dismissed on the ground that somewhere there is an exception that goes against him.

Its not the case PI. It’s the case that we should state things as conclusive if they aren’t. Which is done repeatedly.

He had a dark moustache, unlike the suspect seen by Lawende.

In none of the photographs that we have of Druitt can his moustache be describes as particularly dark. In some it’s virtually non-existent. Very thin looking.

And I have to say again PI what I’ve said to you numerous times but you simply won’t accept. It’s just a proven, scientific (and I have to say it….very obvious) point that light can have an effect on our perception of colour. I real,y don’t know why you’re so resistant to this PI because it’s simply a fact. There are numerous studies online which will confirm this.

I suppose if I say that he obviously was not the man seen by Schwartz, someone will retort that there's no proof that Druitt never got drunk and threw women about.

Your simply making things up. Clearly the man seen by Schwartz was unlikely to have been Druitt. Druitt just can’t be described as stocky or particularly broad shouldered. So unless he was wearing layers of misleading clothing then I’m quite happy to say that BS man was extremely unlikely to have been Druitt.

Druitt does not need to be posthumously proven innocent.

I have never made such a claim. All that I’ve ever said is that we cannot exonerate him based on provable evidence. This in no way means that he was guilty of course.

What is needed is some serious reason to suspect him - and some reason to think that he would commit a murder during a cricketing tour in Dorset.

We have no need for a motive. Motives are never known until after the murderer is caught. We can’t just guess them or assume them. And PI you really shouldn’t exaggerate. Druitt wasn’t on a cricketing tour. I believe that we only have evidence of 2 games? He was on holiday in Dorset during which time he played some cricket. There is a difference.

And if he did return to London because of some kind of urge how can any of us deny this possibility? How can we know how a serial killer might think. If we wrote a book on the strange behaviours of serial killers I’d suggest that it would be a weighty tome. And as I’ve speculated, he might not have returned purely to kill. We simply have no way of knowing. He might not have gone to London because he might not have been the killer. But he might have. And we simply can’t prove that he didn’t.

If that was his intention, why is it that the next time he played cricket, he did so hours after the murder, at a time when his cricketing could not provide him with an alibi?​

But your starting from a false point PI. No one is suggesting that Druitt went down to Dorset just to provide himself with an alibi for the murder. This was your own suggestion I seem to recall. Of course he wouldn’t have done that.

​​​​​​……

PI, we disagree of course but there is a difference between our two positions. I’m perfectly willing to accept that Druitt might have been innocent but you appear absolutely unwilling to accept even the possibility that he might have been guilty. But to completely dismiss Druitt as a suspect we have to assume that MacNaghten simply plucked Druitt’s name out of thin air. I don’t think that this is remotely likely..in fact I’d call it unlikely in the extreme. So for me we have 2 possibilities - that Macnaghten saw his private info but Druitt wasn’t guilty or that he saw his private info and he was guilty. Can we be so absolutely certain that Druitt couldn’t possibly have been guilty? So certain that we say that Druitt should be eliminated? If we are interested in the case why should we abandon a possibility however unlikely to any of us as individuals.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

I have many concerns over Druitt as a viable suspect for numerous reasons, but I cannot 100% rule him out.

What I will say is Keith Skinner has done a phenomenal amount of research on Druitt and is one of Ripperology's most respected researchers. It might serve you well PI to look up some of his research on Druitt.
    Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
    JayHartley.com

Comment

I constantly say that Mr UN Known is most likely the answer, but if we want to go further than that we need to eliminate those named by contemporary police (who knew way more than we do)

IE
      Monty
      Koz
      Doc

and so far no one has.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I have outlined before my interest in Druitt, it is based on a claim to me by my Great Uncle (grandad’s twin) that our family knew wh9 the ripper was, the only two named suspects that could fit that bill, so far as I can see are Druitt and Deeming.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          I started this thread just so that I could respond to a post by PI when it was pointed out (correctly) that any discussion of Druitt was sidetracking the topic of the thread.

Your simply making things up.

You will have to find someone else to exchange ideas with.

You have accused me of 'making things up' many times and that is one time too many.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

You will have to find someone else to exchange ideas with.

You have accused me of 'making things up' many times and that is one time too many.
            I’ve got absolutely no problem with that but when you claim that Druitt had an alibi then there is no other way of putting it. It’s not true. It’s not a matter of opinion it’s a matter of fact that we know of no such alibi. What you should perhaps is to listen to others. Numerous posters on here believe Druitt a weak suspect. I doubt very much if you’ll find one single poster who will agree with you that Druitt had an alibi though. Perhaps for once you should consider that if everyone disagrees with you on a particular point then you just might be wrong. Or do you prefer to claim that there is a fact that you are aware of that no one else knows? Just try considering the possibility that you could be wrong.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I’ve got absolutely no problem with that but when you claim that Druitt had an alibi then there is no other way of putting it. It’s not true. It’s not a matter of opinion it’s a matter of fact that we know of no such alibi. What you should perhaps is to listen to others. Numerous posters on here believe Druitt a weak suspect. I doubt very much if you’ll find one single poster who will agree with you that Druitt had an alibi though. Perhaps for once you should consider that if everyone disagrees with you on a particular point then you just might be wrong. Or do you prefer to claim that there is a fact that you are aware of that no one else knows? Just try considering the possibility that you could be wrong.

Anyone can read your latest accusation that I have made things up and see that it was not about Druit's alibi at all, but about whether Schwartz could have seen Druitt.

But it is ridiculous to accuse me of making up an alibi for Druitt.

I did not invent his visit to Dorset, nor the match he played there.
              Last edited by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1; 07-02-2023, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

Anyone can read your latest accusation that I have made things up and see that it was not about Druit's alibi at all, but about whether Schwartz could have seen Druitt.

But it is ridiculous to accuse me of making up an alibi for Druitt.

I did not invent his visit to Dorset, nor the match he played there.
                And my comment was in response to this:

“I suppose if I say that he obviously was not the man seen by Schwartz, someone will retort that there's no proof that Druitt never got drunk and threw women about.”

I’ve never suggested this. As far as I’m aware no one ever suggested this. So it was a speculation on your part based on nothing. Therefore my saying that you invented this is factually correct.

If you are claiming that Druitt had an alibi then to say that you are making this up is factually correct. Unless you can prove that he couldn’t have been in Bucks Row at the required time.

Why can’t you get this PI? Everyone else can.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

You are not entitled to accuse someone of making something up just because he made a supposition and declared it to be a supposition.

Nor are you entitled to accuse someone of making up an alibi when there is a record of the supposed suspect spending a period in another part of the country - the very period during which the murder took place.
                  Last edited by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1; 07-02-2023, 10:22 PM.

Comment

A supposition is an invention.

There is no record of an alibi therefore to claim that there is one isn’t true.

You won’t answer this because I’ve asked it before but I’ll try again…..prove to me using evidence (including cricket information, train times etc and not just imaginings) that shows that Druitt could not have killed Nichols. If all the researchers on that JTRForums thread couldn’t do it PI I have to ask why you feel that you can? What do you know that they don’t?
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I wrote, 'I suppose if ...'

That does not constitute invention and you know it.

Contrary to your repeated allegations, I have never invented anything.

Comment

Given what we do know on one Montague Druitt and what would need to work in his favor to be London for the Nichols murder , he should in my opinion be treated as a extremely unlikely jack the ripper suspect .

He gets way to much consideration based on no evidence other than being mentioned by MM .

I like others don't see all the fuss where Druitt is concerned.

I guess all the other members of his cricket team could have been jtr if were to use train time tables and cricket information to make a case for them .

Just my opinion
                        'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

I can only name around 3 suspects out of around 200 that can be eliminated by facts.
                          Would those be Michael Ostrog, Thomas Cream, and Prince Albert Victor?

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post
                            I have many concerns over Druitt as a viable suspect for numerous reasons, but I cannot 100% rule him out.

What I will say is Keith Skinner has done a phenomenal amount of research on Druitt and is one of Ripperology's most respected researchers. It might serve you well PI to look up some of his research on Druitt.
                            Are there any articles by Skinner (or anyone else really) from Ripperologist or Casebook Examiner that you would recommend?

Comment

I should add that I've already read Jonathan Hainsworth on Druitt, so different writer please.

Comment

Working...
                              X