Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

Clearly he faked his death.....but couldn't think of a new name
    There might be a book in that theory Joshua.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

euphemism
      noun: a mild or indirect word or expression substituted for one considered to be too harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing.

What does gone abroad mean?
      adverb. If you go abroad, you go to a foreign country, usually one that is separated from the country where you live by an ocean or a sea.

"Abroad" doesn't mean the same as "gone abroad".
      Gosh, I never knew that was what a euphemism was. Patronising, or what?

As far as the cricket club was concerned, Druitt had absented himself with no notice or explanation. 'Gone abroad' was a less blunt and direct way of saying the swine had buggered off Lord knows where. If he had literally gone overseas, and was now in a foreign country, as the minutes were being taken by the chap standing in for him, how do you think they found this out? Did he send a postcard from Bermuda to say: 'Wish you were here - but please don't tell anyone else where I am'?

My late mother-in-law used to tell a joke at Halloween. She said: "Thank God all the witches are abroad, we don't want them over here at this time of year."

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Druitt has seeped into an unrelated thread. This is my attempt to free up the other thread for its original topic.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• The interesting point isn't really whether Monty could have caught a train, but whether he was in Dorset at all. It's been taken as given that he was playing cricket before Polly Nichols murder, but in light of Melville and Mayo, we can't say with any certainty he was actually there.
          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post

But there is certainly an MJ Druitt playing football (or listed as that)
            Hi Gut, I'm interested in knowing more about this.

Is it likely to be him or another M J Druitt. Do you have a date or a team etc? Source?

Thanks for any help.

Martyn
            Last edited by mpriestnall; 10-30-2022, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• A bit left field maybe, but this question is related to my research for my book.

Is there any documented evidence that MJD engaged in rowing or that it's likely he may have done so.

I know about Brickwood at his chambers and Chris Scott's research on CB re the Risley family who included a known rower.

Any other connection between MJD and rowing?

Thanks for any help,

Martyn
              Last edited by mpriestnall; 10-30-2022, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• FWIW I believe MJD was murdered possibly for his knowledge about the WMs.

I have some interesting connections between him and my candidates for JTR and Aman...

Comment

• Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post

Hi Gut, I'm interested in knowing more about this.

Is it likely to be him or another M J Druitt. Do you have a date or a team etc? Source?

Thanks for any help.

Martyn
                  I will try and find it again, but multiple mini strokes can make it hard. If my brain is working, and that is far from certain, it was after Monty died and was proof that there was more than one MJ Druitt around, so whenever we see MJD playing sport somewhere it is far from positive that it was Monty. But I will try and find it again.

G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I will try and find it again, but multiple mini strokes can make it hard. If my brain is working, and that is far from certain, it was after Monty died and was proof that there was more than one MJ Druitt around, so whenever we see MJD playing sport somewhere it is far from positive that it was Monty. But I will try and find it again.
                    Thanks Gut, sorry hear about your mini strokes.

Interesting to hear about another MJ Druitt about. Yes, a reminder to corroborate one's data!

There is a sporting family of interest to me whose son played football. It's a long shot really. I was trying to see if that MJ Druitt would connect
                    to the son through football, but it appears it's another MJD.

Please don't put yourself out too much on my behalf. I already have enough info regarding this family to be interest anyway.

regards,

Martyn

Comment

• Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post

Thanks Gut, sorry hear about your mini strokes.

Interesting to hear about another MJ Druitt about. Yes, a reminder to corroborate one's data!

There is a sporting family of interest to me whose son played football. It's a long shot really. I was trying to see if that MJ Druitt would connect
                      to the son through football, but it appears it's another MJD.

Please don't put yourself out too much on my behalf. I already have enough info regarding this family to be interest anyway.

regards,

Martyn
                      I still can’t find the clipping I kept, but it was 7 Nov 1889, Blanford Weekly News the last player listed for Christchurch is M. J. Druitt. Will keep looking for the actual newspaper clipping. My point was tha5 clearly there was anothe4 sports mined MJD so I th8nk it is premature to say any MJD in a cricket match must be Monty.

Unfortunately these stupid Mini Strokes make my former filing system almost impossible to follow, then again the6 have made pretty much everything hard to follow, understand and remember.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Just noticed further in my notes in 1890 M Druitt was plating cricket for Christchurch v Sopley. So certainly more than 1 M Druitt playing cricket in the general area
                        G U T

Comment

• Melville was vice Capt of Christchurch Cricket club so he is a good possibility, but I don’t recall any middle name for him.
                          G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
                            The interesting point isn't really whether Monty could have caught a train, but whether he was in Dorset at all. It's been taken as given that he was playing cricket before Polly Nichols murder, but in light of Melville and Mayo, we can't say with any certainty he was actually there.
                            What I would like to know is: why is it that since it has been discovered that he was in Dorset, people are saying that doesn't mean he couldn't have been in London and committed the murder, but before it became known that he was in Dorset, no-one was saying, 'how do we know he was in London; maybe he was somewhere else'?

Comment

Thanks, Gut, for the heads up on another sporty MJD around at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

What I would like to know is: why is it that since it has been discovered that he was in Dorset, people are saying that doesn't mean he couldn't have been in London and committed the murder, but before it became known that he was in Dorset, no-one was saying, 'how do we know he was in London; maybe he was somewhere else'?
                                Hi PI,

I don't exactly bang the drum for Druitt's candidacy, I personally found the whole train hopping thing a bit tenuous. Possible yes, but stretching likelihood. It's not certain he was in Dorset though, in light of other findings as covered earlier in the thread.

Additionally, I imagine there's slightly less onus on proving that Druitt was in London because he lived and worked there, so he's likely to be there, particularly in relation to his school work. You could argue the same for any suspect. How can we prove Lech didn't take a holiday after finding Polly? Maybe Koz was visiting relatives on the night of the double? There's such little documentary evidence surviving that a starting point of 'prove that a person who lived and worked in the area was actually there on that day' is going to be fruitless. It's impossible.

In light of our scant resources, an assumption that any candidate who was living and working in the area was there at the time isn't unreasonable. It would need hard proof that they were out of the area.
                                Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Working...
                                X