Druitt's 30 August Cricket Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has compiled a complete cricketing itinerary for Druitt, and, if so, where it might be found.
    I’m not aware of one Joshua.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has compiled a complete cricketing itinerary for Druitt, and, if so, where it might be found.
      Well considering the number of Druitt’s around at the time, not sure how one could be with anything like certainty.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• In the interest of balance and as an update we can respond to the points below like this…..

“That means Druitt was in Dorset -

At the time of Tabram murder - we now know that this is untrue, though it has been accepted for years as a fact (including by me) we now know that Druitt has no alibi for the Tabram murder. Plus Tabram s a disputed victim of course.

At the time of Nichols murder - nothing that we have discovered so far comes close to giving Druitt an alibi for Nichols murder.

At the time of Chapman murder - there has never been an alibi for the Chapman murder so this is an invention.

And at the time of Mckenzie murder, although dead - clearly Druitt has the perfect alibi for the Mackenzie murder, but as all reasonable posters know, whether this was a ripper murder or not has been seriously debated over the years and still is and so the jury is out on that one. This isn’t a case of simply dismissing Mackenzie to keep Druitt in the frame it’s just a fact that ripperologists disagree on this one so we can’t claim to know either way. She might have been; she might not have been.

Only faith can save Druitt as a suspect.”

Only inventions and false alibis can eliminate him apparently. Genuine eliminating evidence might well exist and might be discovered at any moment but, as things stand at the moment, nothing eliminates Druitt. It doesn’t come close to meaning that he was guilty of course, but some of these little ‘gleeful celebrations’ are somewhat premature.
        Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 04-16-2022, 09:30 AM.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post

Well considering the number of Druitt’s around at the time, not sure how one could be with anything like certainty.
          The Simpsons Season 14 Episode clip from 'Treehouse of Horrors VIII: Send in the Clones' - YouTube
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
            And what about this from the 18th April, 1889 issue of CRICKET: A WEEKLY RECORD OF THE GAME.

It’s part of a section concerning the Incogniti cricket team. Perhaps it refers to the previous season?

Yes, this is from a list of their batting averages for 1888. Druitt only played one game for the Incogniti that year, so not enough to figure in the list itself.

Comment

Mmm, are you aware of an HJ Druitt, or an MT Druitt? I suspect these are misprints for our Monty but may be imposters.

Ah well. I'll just post my meagre list and you can shoot it to pieces. Or add to it.

1888 Matches

May 21-22: @ Blackheath, for Blackheath Vs Incogniti

May 30: @ Dulwich (S London), for Incogniti Vs Dulwich College

June 9: @ Blackheath, for Blackheath Vs Royal Artillery, Woolwich

June 16: @ Bickley (Kent), for Blackheath Vs Bickley Park

June 23: @ Woolwich, for Blackheath Vs Royal Military Academy

Aug 3-4: @ Bournemouth for Gentlemen of Bournemouth Vs Parsees

Aug 10-11: @ Bournemouth, for Gentlemen of Dorset Vs Bournemouth

Aug 22: @ Bournemouth, for Bournemouth Vs Bathurst' XI

Aug 30: @ Blandford Vs Isle of Purbeck

Sept 1: @ Canford Vs Wimborne

Sept 8: @ Blackheath, for Blackheath Vs The Brothers Christopherson

Comment

• Interesting mention of Bournemouth Cricket Week in Cricket, for those who wonder about train journeys...

"The Bournemouth Cricket Week, which includes matches with the Parsees, Marylebone C & G, will commence on Aug 3rd.
                The new direct line from Waterloo is now open."

Comment

• On the subject of match start times, there's an interesting report of a meeting of the Cricket Council from 8 Feb 1888;

'Dr W G Grace (Gloucestershire) proposed "that all county matches should commence at 12 noon on the first day, and on the second and third days play shall commence at 11am, and that this rule shall be strictly enforced"

This was seconded by the Hon W M Jervis (Derbyshire) and carried unanimously.'

Probably irrelevant for village club matches, but still interesting.

Comment

Mmm, are you aware of an HJ Druitt, or an MT Druitt? I suspect these are misprints for our Monty but may be imposters.

Well there was Melvill and Mayo at least, either could have had middle in ir=rial T, Melvill was also a cricketer, and a number of Harvey’s, there was also at least one MJ mentioned in a football match down there after Montie was dead
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Well there was Melvill and Mayo at least, either could have had middle in ir=rial T, Melvill was also a cricketer, and a number of Harvey’s, there was also at least one MJ mentioned in a football match down there after Montie was dead
                      Mmm, I thought for a moment I'd found Druitt playing cricket in 1889. But it turned out to be his younger brother Edward.

Comment

Mmm, I thought for a moment I'd found Druitt playing cricket in 1889. But it turned out to be his younger brother Edward.
                        But there is certainly an MJ Druitt playing football (or listed as that)
                        G U T

Comment

But there is certainly an MJ Druitt playing football (or listed as that)
                          Clearly he faked his death.....but couldn't think of a new name

Comment

• Just in case anyone isn’t following the research on JTRForums Chris Phillips has now found another train that would have been available to Druitt. It had previously been believed that he would have had to have caught the 4.55 (still absolutely possible) but we now know that he could have caught the 6.02 train. So he had an extra 1 hour 7 minutes.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                              Just in case anyone isn’t following the research on JTRForums Chris Phillips has now found another train that would have been available to Druitt. It had previously been believed that he would have had to have caught the 4.55 (still absolutely possible) but we now know that he could have caught the 6.02 train. So he had an extra 1 hour 7 minutes.
                              thanks for the update herlock-interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

thanks for the update herlock-interesting.
                                There’s an addition Abby. Chris Phillips has just pointed out that, apart from the 4.55 and the 6.02, there was also a 7.58 which also looks feasible.

So I think that we can now say for certain that Druitt cannot be eliminated on the grounds of playing cricket. Of course, something else might be discovered that puts him elsewhere. Some excellent research done on that thread btw.
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X