No announcement yet.

A couple of questions about Monty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone else perceive an unexpected silence by the relatives of MJD?

I find this hard to understand if he really was JTR. Not so much if he was suicided

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
      Of course not.

Comment

I find this hard to understand if he really was JTR. Not so much if he was suicided
        I doubt any of them know anything more about him than we do. By the time he was getting mentioned publicly, any relatives that had a memory of him were dead. And if he was JtR, again how would they know? Unless he left a secret signed confession they'd be as unsure as ourselves. Any 'in the family' knowledge is long lost to the passage of time. It's been 134 years Martyn.
        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

I doubt any of them know anything more about him than we do. By the time he was getting mentioned publicly, any relatives that had a memory of him were dead. And if he was JtR, again how would they know? Unless he left a secret signed confession they'd be as unsure as ourselves. Any 'in the family' knowledge is long lost to the passage of time. It's been 134 years Martyn.
          I appreciate family knowledge would dissipate​ over the years but I have personal experience of how information can passed down the generations.

A family story verbally passed down to me of a huguenot female relative who had burnt down the family silk factory in Bethnal Green.

Many years later a relative researching this family confirmed this story by discovering a contemporary press report. The fire happened in the early 1900's.

Sadly 3 people lost their lives and the lady in question was committed to an asylum. This family story survived for around 75 years until it was passed down to me.

Tragic though this was, the Whitechapel Murders was a lot larger than this and I would expect MJD's story to last longer in the Druitt or extended family than my family story.

That said, I can see how the MJD story would have just have faded away over the generations.
          Last edited by mpriestnall; 11-04-2022, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I appreciate family knowledge would dissipate​ over the years but I have personal experience of how information can passed down the generations.

A family story verbally passed down to me of a huguenot female relative who had burnt down the family silk factory in Bethnal Green.

Many years later a relative researching this family confirmed this story by discovering a contemporary press report. The fire happened in the early 1900's.

Sadly 3 people lost their lives and the lady in question was committed to an asylum. This family story survived for around 75 years until it was passed down to me.

Tragic though this was, the Whitechapel Murders was a lot larger than this and I would expect MJD's story to last longer in the Druitt or extended family than my family story.

That said, I can see how the MJD story would have just have faded away over the generations.
            Hi Martyn,

Also, some people just aren't terribly interested in their family history (or the past in general).

All it would take is a generation or two of people who were like that and the family stories from previously would likely be lost to the mists of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

Of course not.
              OK, fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Hi Martyn,

Also, some people just aren't terribly interested in their family history (or the past in general).

All it would take is a generation or two of people who were like that and the family stories from previously would likely be lost to the mists of time.

Hi Ms Diddles,

That's a fair point.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Possibly less than we know. Did any stories about his being JtR pass further than the generation alive in 1888, or were they keen to let that “dirty little secret” be forgotten.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                  X