Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions about Monty

Hi all,

My apologies if this has been addressed before but I cannot locate it on the forum.

I read in Dj leighton's book on Monty that he was a good swimmer and that there was a swimming pool at Valentine's school. Does anyone know the original source of this because the book doesn't quote a source for it. Or is it an assumption that he could swim because he played sports

I also remember reading somewhere that Monty was writing letters to a young cousin or niece and was discussing poetry. Quickly flicked through Leighton's book but could not locate. Hopefully I have not imagined this poetry discussion but if someone can point me to the source of this that would be great.

One more thing!
    Is there a record of what items Monty inherited from his father when he died?
    I had this idea that perhaps he got some of his surgical equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTwibbs View Post
      Hi all,

My apologies if this has been addressed before but I cannot locate it on the forum.

I read in Dj leighton's book on Monty that he was a good swimmer and that there was a swimming pool at Valentine's school. Does anyone know the original source of this because the book doesn't quote a source for it. Or is it an assumption that he could swim because he played sports

I also remember reading somewhere that Monty was writing letters to a young cousin or niece and was discussing poetry. Quickly flicked through Leighton's book but could not locate. Hopefully I have not imagined this poetry discussion but if someone can point me to the source of this that would be great.
      I can’t recall anything about the swimming pool but on the issue of Druitt corresponding to a young cousin…his Uncle Robert asked him to tutor his young niece in Latin. He wrote a letter to his Uncle about this which is in Jon Hainsworth’s book.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

One more thing!
        Is there a record of what items Monty inherited from his father when he died?
        I had this idea that perhaps he got some of his surgical equipment.
        From memory I believe that it was just cash from which was deducted the money that Montague received from his father to pay for his legal training. William was the executor and was in control of the family estate.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Yes I believe it was £500.
          I found on page 44 of Leighton's book."received all his father's pictures, books, clocks, jewellery and ornaments" I have no idea where DJ leighton gets this info from.
          thanks

Comment

Yes I believe it was £500.
            I found on page 44 of Leighton's book."received all his father's pictures, books, clocks, jewellery and ornaments" I have no idea where DJ leighton gets this info from.
            thanks
            I’ve got Leighton’s book but don’t have it with me at the moment. I don’t know where he got that info from but I’ve no problem accepting it though. Its possible that it’s been mentioned elsewhere but I just can’t recall it.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I find hard to understand why Druitt's family have hardly spoken, in public at least, about their ancestor, MJD, being Jack the Ripper.

Is this because they know/knew that he wasn't Jack the Ripper, but there is something controversial about the Jack the Ripper identification that keeps them quiet?

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
                I find hard to understand why Druitt's family have hardly spoken, in public at least, about their ancestor, MJD, being Jack the Ripper.

Is this because they know/knew that he wasn't Jack the Ripper, but there is something controversial about the Jack the Ripper identification that keeps them quiet?
                Or maybe they know he was "suicided" and the circumstances around that is the reason for their silence?

Comment

Or maybe they know he was "suicided" and the circumstances around that is the reason for their silence?

I must say it's a very puzzling suicide.

It reminds me of the alleged suicide of Roberto Calvi.

My recollection is that he was found hanged under Blackfriars Bridge with a considerable amount of masonry in his pockets.

The first inquest returned a verdict of suicide, the second an open verdict, and the third a verdict of murder.

I'm not saying that Druitt did not commit suicide, but it is a strange way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

I must say it's a very puzzling suicide.

It reminds me of the alleged suicide of Roberto Calvi.

My recollection is that he was found hanged under Blackfriars Bridge with a considerable amount of masonry in his pockets.

The first inquest returned a verdict of suicide, the second an open verdict, and the third a verdict of murder.

I'm not saying that Druitt did not commit suicide, but it is a strange way to do it.
                    Thanks PI. Would you mind expanding why you think it is a strange way to commit suicide.

I think I have read before people questioning the method of suicide by filling the pockets with heavy objects.

Is it because the suicide victim would have a kind last minute panic with a survival instinct kicking in to save themselves?

It's shame we don't have more info about the state of his body and the circumstances of his suicide to help us judge if it was a genuine suicide or not.
                    Last edited by mpriestnall; 11-03-2022, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks PI. Would you mind expanding why you think it is a strange way to commit suicide.

I think I have read before people questioning the method of suicide by filling the pockets with heavy objects.

Is it because the suicide victim would have a kind last minute panic with a survival instinct kicking in to save themselves?

Well, the Calvi case, in which I'm sure the masonry was much heavier, was obviously a case of murder, even though the first inquest jury decided it was suicide, which was ludicrous because no one could work out how he could have got under that bridge and hanged himself without help.

Obviously, Druitt's case could have been suicide, and may well have been, but I can't help wondering whether anyone actually would weigh down his own pockets in order to facilitate his suicide by drowning.

In Calvi's case, it was murder.

I wonder whether there are any other such cases.

I don't know about a survival instinct; it may be that in his case, his death instinct was stronger.

I suppose the history of madness in his family could explain it and he did refer to it in his suicide note.

It would be interesting to know exactly what happened at the school, at least to get a clearer idea of what may have caused him to do what he did, but I suppose it's too late now.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

Well, the Calvi case, in which I'm sure the masonry was much heavier, was obviously a case of murder, even though the first inquest jury decided it was suicide, which was ludicrous because no one could work out how he could have got under that bridge and hanged himself without help.

Obviously, Druitt's case could have been suicide, and may well have been, but I can't help wondering whether anyone actually would weigh down his own pockets in order to facilitate his suicide by drowning.

In Calvi's case, it was murder.

I wonder whether there are any other such cases.

I don't know about a survival instinct; it may be that in his case, his death instinct was stronger.

I suppose the history of madness in his family could explain it and he did refer to it in his suicide note.

It would be interesting to know exactly what happened at the school, at least to get a clearer idea of what may have caused him to do what he did, but I suppose it's too late now.
                        Hi PI,

IIRC Virginia Woolf committed suicide by filling her pockets with stones and wading into the river Ouse.

Comment

She was a patient of Sutton's son in law.

George Savage (physician) - Wikipedia
                          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Hi PI,

IIRC Virginia Woolf committed suicide by filling her pockets with stones and wading into the river Ouse.

Thanks for that information.

I was aware that she committed suicide but not of that detail.

I will take a look.

Comment

I suppose Druitt could have taken drugs and alcohol to aid his suicide by drowning.

Comment

Working...
                              X