Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

Hi George,

I doubt it, but I suppose it's possible she brought it up during conversation. To me, though, I see it as she gave that when she was booked, and it sounds like she was pretty drunk so she may not have even recalled saying that at the time when she was released. I'm sure she's got better stories to regale a punter with as well.

In the GSG, the "will not be blamed for nothing" reminds me of how, when I was growing up, we sometimes used "nothing" for "anything", as in "I'm not doing nothing" meant "I'm not doing anything", so the GSG could be using it similarly, but in the entire context, is basically accusing the Jews of not accepting blame for anything (so antisemitic).

However, if one got in trouble even though it was your brother who did whatever it was, then you might tell your friends you "got grounded for nothing", which would mean you got grounded for not doing anything, and it carried the idea of "without reason", so I think the GSG could also be saying there's a reason to blame the Jews, which again is antisemitic.

While both are similar in many ways, the exact concept is different. And, although ambiguous as to which translation would be the more accurate (if either), both come out suggeting a gentile author. Now, whether or not that was Eddowes' killer, ... Who knows? We can't even figure out exactly what it says, let alone who is saying it.

- Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

I agree that there would be better stories to regale a punter, unless he was actually more than a punter and more of a friend or acquaintance. What the GSG means is an enigma, but consider "The Juwes are not the men who will be blamed for Cathy". Is the GSG a cryptic message saying that the Jews who interrupted his murder of Stride will not be blamed for Eddows, even though that interruption was the cause of the second murder that night? More speculation, I know, but from a different angle.

Cheers, George
    They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
    Out of a misty dream
    Our path emerges for a while, then closes
    Within a dream.
    Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi erobitha,

I'm not suggesting police involvement. I'm thinking that maybe Eddows was sufficiently acquainted with JtR to relate the story of her incarceration to him, along the lines of "when the copper asked for my name I told him it was nothing".

Cheers, George
      I see. It’s possible I suppose. An odd piece of information to share with a stranger or a vague acquaintance though would you not think?

She did give a name in the end, even if it was false, so then she would be sharing the fact she said ‘nothing’ and then gave a false name. Seems a bit of an odd thing to share to me.
      Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
      JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggins View Post
        Click image for larger version

Name:	29th September.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	781834
        Something else that came to mind about these knife drawings was something you said about that somewhat sinister and bizarre massive E that bury inked for the postcode of the letter to Ellen's sister - the horizontal bars looking a bit like blades. Also his rather odd crossing out of that mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggins View Post

Name:	19th October.JPG
Views:	519
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	781837
          Something that caught my eye about this one - a week before that lee pond incident in Bow - was he clearing up? Not a fan of the torso theory really.Perhaps there was something about this victim that meant it would lead back to the assailant somehow if found in whitechapel?

Comment

Something else that came to mind about these knife drawings was something you said about that somewhat sinister and bizarre massive E that bury inked for the postcode of the letter to Ellen's sister - the horizontal bars looking a bit like blades. Also his rather odd crossing out of that mistake.
            Thanks Wulf, I put below what you mean for others benefit.
            These snippets are from a letter Bury wrote to Ellens sister retained by the police.

Name:	london E.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	781988

Name:	Cross out.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	781989

Comment

if any of the suspects might have written messages Bury is a good bet.
              I agree the impression I get he was proud of his writing, such as forging a letter of employment in a copperplate (rounded schoolboy?) hand to help convince his wife to leave London in a hurry.

Comment

Perhaps there was something about this victim that meant it would lead back to the assailant somehow if found in whitechapel?
                Wulf, I would like to know happened to Kate Spooner, at the court Martin said she was dead and buried? Which got a laugh from the crowd.
                But did he mean more literaly than we think.

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	781998

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	19th November.JPG Views:	235 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	781841
                  This is an an intriguing chalk message chalked on a wall of Albert Bachert's house in Newnham Street (on the day of Kelly's funeral). Bachert had previously had an encounter with 'black bag man' in the Three Tuns:

The Times of 2 October:

While in there an elderly woman, very shabbily dressed, came in and asked me to buy some matches. I refused and she went out. A man who had been standing by me remarked that those persons were a nuisance, to which I responded "Yes." He then asked me if I knew how old some of the women were who were in the habit of soliciting outside. I replied that I knew, or thought, that some of them who looked about 25 were over 35. He then asked me whether I thought a woman would go with him down Northumberland-alley - a dark and lonely court in Fenchurch-street. I said I did not know, but supposed she would. He then went outside and spoke to the woman who was selling matches and gave her something. He returned, and I bid him good-night at about ten minutes past 12. I believe the woman was waiting for him. I do not think I could identify the woman, as I did not take particular notice of her; but I should know the man again. He was a dark man, about 38 years of age, about 5ft. 6in. or 5ft. 7in. He wore a black felt hat, a dark morning coat, a black tie, and a carried a black shiny bag.

He also received a ripper correspondence:

Dear Old Baskett
                  Yer only tried ter get yer name
                  in the papers when yer thought you
                  had me in the Three Tuns Hotel
                  I'd like to punch yer bleeding nose
                  Jack the Riper​

Another coincidence is that Malvina Haynes, who was attacked the same night as Emma Smith, lived in Newnham Street (although she was attacked near Leman Street Station.

Although people write off the GSG, dismissing it may mean that other potential genuine messages are overlooked.

Comment

Working...
                  X