No announcement yet.

Best book on Bury?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Wyatt. Both editions are actually completely different books, though both are about Bury as the Ripper. If you can find them at good prices, you might feel like getting both. But I personally feel that reading MacPherson's book will give you the best idea of the fullest argument that could be made against Bury.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Good point...

Originally posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
      I don't agree with this theory. If you look at the medical testimony that was presented at Bury's trial, he performed an initial set of mutilations...and then sometime well after that he went back and did a few more. That's not a guy who has lost interest, that's a guy who's struggling to control an urge. I think he wanted to rip her up, but I think he realized that doing so would only have worsened his predicament.
      Yeah, I like your theory better too Wyatt. The other was Beadle's idea.

I'm not even sure which edition of Beadle I just read, I'd have to go look. I found it worthwhile regardless.

I'll keep the MacPherson book in mind for the future. I still wonder what's really known about Bury's whereabouts on the nights in question...

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregBaron View Post
        I still wonder what's really known about Bury's whereabouts on the nights in question...
        There are vast unknowns with Bury, and where he was (or where he wasn't) on the nights in question are among them. If Bury was the Ripper, other vast unknowns are why he killed in that area (or why he went as far afield as he did), and where in the area he might have had his horse stabled...but Bury's address and his horse and cart do put him in the game, absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, and there are certainly some very intriguing possible connection points between Bury and the crimes.
        “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
        http://www.williambury.org

Comment

I would buy Bury as a suspect over Druitt, Tumblety, Cutbush, and a host of others. Maybe YOU should get to researching and write the ultimate Bury book, Wyatt! But I'll want a signed copy...well, maybe you shouldn't sign it 'Wyatt Earp'.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I would have thought a suspect's candidacy should rest on any outstanding features, e.g. Kosminski and the ID.

I think the whole drunk/prone to casual violence thing is overestimated when assessing a suspect because a) it seems there were many of these types doing the rounds b) whether or not Jack was this type is open to debate.

What makes Bury a decent candidate is the mutiliations.

I couldn't agree that he lost commitment to the whole ripping thing, but perhaps the fact this was his wife, as opposed to a prostitute; meant he was caught between a rock and a hard place.

Also, assuming the aim of cutting the throat was to prevent blood splatter that could lead to him being stopped in the street, well, clearly, he was in his home when he murdered his wife and could clean up; so such a ploy was redundant in this scenario.

I may be wrong here, but I would have thought serial killers don't tend to be drunks or out and out lunatics or display a great deal of violence outside of their preferred choice of wanton violence from which they derive their kicks/buzz. I'm sure someone can put up an example outside of the norm, though.

Comment

To Fleetwood I'll think you'll find that a lot of serial killers were/are heavy drinkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                I would buy Bury as a suspect over Druitt, Tumblety, Cutbush, and a host of others. Maybe YOU should get to researching and write the ultimate Bury book, Wyatt! But I'll want a signed copy...well, maybe you shouldn't sign it 'Wyatt Earp'.
                Ha! I don't think I'd have the patience for that. A couple of sentences at a time on Casebook are about right for me.
                “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
                http://www.williambury.org

Comment

To Fleetwood I'll think you'll find that a lot of serial killers were/are heavy drinkers
                  Yes and lets not forget the drugs, it twas the 1880s no less.

Several weeks of all night drinking and drugs sessions can leave you with rather blotchy skin as well i might add.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
                    Ha! I don't think I'd have the patience for that. A couple of sentences at a time on Casebook are about right for me.
                    I'd be interested in another Bury book as well. I've already read Beadle's, but purchased the MacPhearson (Spelling is off) one.

And since it was so cheap, the Paley one on Barnett -- not that I think there is the first thing to the Barnett suspicion.

Bury, now -- he was my first suspect and one I consider a better one than most of those touted.

Comment

I've certainly always considered Bury as one of the more viable suspects. Anyone fancy doing some collaborative research on the guy?

Comment

Hi Iain.

I've done a fair bit of research into Bury in the past and would be interested in more. I live close to Stourbridge and the Black Country.

I've already scanned the following libraries.
                        Stourbridge
                        Wolverhampton
                        Stafford
                        William Salt in Stafford
                        Worcester

What have you got in mind?

Comment

Hi Iain/Johns
                          I would be happy to help - Ive got the National Archives of Scotland to send me copies all the trial notes, letters etc if you want them. Havent had time to have a really good look through. PM me if you want copies. I havent done any serious research, i just tend to come back every now and again to see if anyones found anything.

Btw - during the course of your research if anyone finds any mention that Bury had a scar/abcess on his neck let me know. I have a pet theory that he was involved in the Farmer assault, and this is what spooked him to leave. This is the only distingishing mark recorded on a potential ripper suspect.

- Johns the metal detector broke so had to give it up!
                          Last edited by Boggles; 10-20-2012, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                            Hi Greg,

I would argue against it being a matter of confidence when an author makes a point to overstate his case at every turn. Probably quite the opposite. I enjoyed Beadle's first edition much more than I did his later edition,
                            Is the paperback version the later edition? Weren't the HC and the paperback out within a year of each other? I didn't realize there was such a re-write of the material.
                            Managing Editor
                            Casebook Wiki

Comment

Sounds like there's the makings of a really good Bury book in the background there...which is fantastic...personally I'm not a great Bury believer, but I love to hear he's still very much alive as a suspect...at any rate he's far more likely than some who are actively being propounded...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Boggles View Post
                                This is the only distingishing mark recorded on a potential ripper suspect.
                                Hi Boggles. I've never heard of this distinguishing mark. Care to shed a bit more light please.

Comment

Working...
                                X