Joseph Barnett, Mary Kelly, and the other victims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Barnett, Mary Kelly, and the other victims

Is there anything to show that Barnett was close or associated with the other Ripper victims since the ladies knew each other was he part of their circle so to speak? Man was covered in blood when Abberline questioned him but was still permitted to leave. Today, you go to police covered in blood, unless you work at a slaughter house, they caught you WHILE WORKING, and pull your butt into the interrogation room right after you'd think that'd be a huge red flag?!? Did Abberline let him go because of the police technology at the time not being able to test blood all that conclusively? Was Barnett ever seen in the company of the others or just Kelly?

Hello Clark,

I have never heard this before. What is your source for stating that Barnett was covered in blood when questioned?

c.d.

Comment

When he was questioned by the police for four hours his clothes were examined for blood but non was found on them.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        Hello Clark,

I have never heard this before. What is your source for stating that Barnett was covered in blood when questioned?

c.d.
        In the Wiki under Jospeh Barnett in the Mary Kelly entry here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_J...#Investigation

Comment

Originally posted by Astatine211 View Post
          When he was questioned by the police for four hours his clothes were examined for blood but non was found on them.
          ah I misread it says "his clothes were examined for bloodstains," I totally misread that; my apologies

Comment

However, my question still stands, being questioned for four hours tells me that at least for a short time he was considered a suspect. I would still like to know if the other victims knew him, hung out with him, etc or was he just a friend/partner or Kelly?

Comment

I would probably change "suspect" to "person of interest" although the two are very close terms. I am not aware of any interaction that he had with the other victims.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by clark2710 View Post
                However, my question still stands, being questioned for four hours tells me that at least for a short time he was considered a suspect. I would still like to know if the other victims knew him, hung out with him, etc or was he just a friend/partner or Kelly?
                He was definitely considered a serious suspect. In 1908, 20 years after the murders Robert Anderson did an interview in which he implicated Barnett as the Ripper before switching to Kosminski in 1910. This shows he was on the police radar as a suspect until many of their deaths and he was never fully dismissed even if it seemed like it.

I would guess that Barnett and Eddowes almost certainly knew each other, even if just as acquaintances. Due to it being almost guaranteed they were regulars at the same pub. However, I also feel this is one of the biggest issues with Barnett's candidacy as the Ripper as he was most likely very well known to many locals, so surely one of the witnesses would be able to easily identify him. There are some interesting theories about his brother being the true culprit but there isn't much evidence at all to support this.

Comment

Originally posted by clark2710 View Post
                  Likely he was, if the police were doing their job. Then dismissed.

Did he know the other victims? Maybe. If he did there's nothing in the historical register that even remotely suggests that, so it's a non starter.
                  Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Hi
                    About twenty years ago on here, I started a thread 'Joseph Barnett Number one suspect.' It was well received . He still is a possible , along with Joe Fleming. The main doubt is Motive, for Mary maybe, the others No,
                    Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                      Hi
                      About twenty years ago on here, I started a thread 'Joseph Barnett Number one suspect.' It was well received . He still is a possible , along with Joe Fleming. The main doubt is Motive, for Mary maybe, the others No,
                      Regards Richard.
                      It is speculated that Flemming was the other "Joe", we actually dont know that for sure. What we can say is that it would seem that Mary was seeing 2 Joes simultaneously which can often result in a violent end for someone in that sort of triangle. Im sure the "other" Joe is a more interesting potential suspect, maybe moreso if it was Flemming.
                      Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Astatine211 View Post
                        In 1908, 20 years after the murders Robert Anderson did an interview in which he implicated Barnett as the Ripper before switching to Kosminski in 1910.
                        I'm not too sure about this. What did Sir Robert say?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

It is speculated that Flemming was the other "Joe", we actually dont know that for sure. What we can say is that it would seem that Mary was seeing 2 Joes simultaneously which can often result in a violent end for someone in that sort of triangle. Im sure the "other" Joe is a more interesting potential suspect, maybe moreso if it was Flemming.
                          Joe could be short for Johannes, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post

You echoed my thoughts.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post

In the September 1, 1908 Daily Chronicle interview, Anderson mentions a clay pipe found at a murder scene, but it was smashed in a fireplace by a careless doctor.

Barnett theorists use this statement to suggest that Anderson suspected Barnett, because he smoked a clay pipe.

Which seems like a heck of a stretch.

Comment

Working...
                              X