Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspect League table

Good day to all

So I wanted to ask for some feedback regarding suspects in the case.

i have looked fairly extensively at some of the threads covering the topic of suspects and I have noticed that despite some truly amazing viewpoints, there can sometimes be a lack of cohesion in terms of bringing data together for the sake of forming statistical analysis of said suspects.

It’s not about agreeing of course, but if we were to try and collate data and contrasting viewpoints on any given suspect, it may give a greater deal of statistical accuracy in terms of which suspects are at the forefront of the investigation.

in other words, I wanted to try and find a way that we could analyse the statistical accuracy of suspects and find a way of demonstrating that more collectively than has previously been done.

so how to do this?

well there are several ways but one of the most directly obvious ways is in the form of a league table.

so I propose to start a league table of suspects based on each individual persons own beliefs. This may seem like a strange way to rank the likelihood of suspects, but I believe that if enough of us get involved and jump on board with this then I truly believe that it will be effective than first realised.

So let’s say that we go for a top 4 for each person on this site, it I’ll quickly build into a more cohesive picture of where the true answers are more likely to be hiding.

now as an aside to this, I appreciate than many of you have already chose their suspect with no room for manoeuvre. So let’s work with that too. But of course, if you only choose 1 suspect, as your first, second and third choice, that will only count once instead of 4 times.

so let’s say we use a scoring system for our Suspect League...
    1st choice gets 10 points
    2nd choice gets 5 points
    3rd choice gets 2 points
    4th choice gets 1 point

so let’s try it (and if it fails then we haven’t lost anything anyway)

I will begin proceedings by stating my top 4

1 Lechmere
    2 Hutchinson
    3 McCarthy
    4 Sutton

I will I’ll be happy to regularly keep track of the league once enough people add their own top 4.

Hoping that enough of us will get involved and see where it takes us.

Top 4 please

TRD
    Last edited by The Rookie Detective; 11-11-2020, 01:01 PM.
    "Great minds, don't think alike"

Sutton.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Current Suspect league table after 2 votes cast

(me and DJA)

Sutton. 11pts
      Lechmere. 10pts
      Hutchinson. 5pts
      Mccarthy. 2pts

no one else has any points yet

TRD

Comment

*Tin hat time* -

1. Unknown local man
        2. Kosminski
        3. Police officer

Comment

1. As yet unnamed suspect.
          2. Druitt - I know it annoys some but hey..
          3. Kosminski.
          4. Bury - although not a strong suspect for me.

I don't know enough about Sutton to judge. Dave obviously favours him strongly so who knows..he could be right? Lechmere has to be considered but he doesn't convince me. Hutchinson even less convincing for me. Levy is a possible and worth further research. It's been a fair while since I read about Kelly but years ago I thought him at least worth considering. I also remember reading a book on Cutbush who I also though was of interest.

The kind of suspects I dismiss are ones like Mann, Bachert and Hardiman who I can't see a shred of evidence for.

If I was forced to put one name into a hat it would be Druitt. But I wouldn't bet my house on it. Or yours
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

1. Unknown local gang
            2. Unknown local man

Comment

Just a gut feeling because there's not a shred of evidence against anyone.

First - The unidentified man outside the Britannia on the morning of Nov. 9th. = 10 pts.

Second - The unidentified man in Berner St. seen by PC Smith (if not the same individual as above), = 9 pts.

Not one named suspect has earned any points. Yet, I will not dismiss Druitt (he could have been either, or both of the above), I think the jury is still out on this character.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

1st - unknown local
                2nd - David Cohen
                3rd - Chuck Lechmere
                4th - Bury

No mention of 'mad' Jimmy Maybrick yet. Or H.H Holmes, one of my personal favourite "make it up as you go along" theories.
                Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

James Maybrick
                  Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                  JayHartley.com

Comment

For the purposes of your statistical analysis:

1) Mr Unknown
                    2) Kosminski
                    3) Druitt
                    4) David Cohen

For anyone interested, I have given this some consideration and my preferred analogy is a basic five aside football team:

1) Star striker - Mr Unknown
                    2) Striker - Kosminski
                    3) Defender - Druitt
                    4) Defender - Cohen
                    5) In goal - Lechmere

On the bench - Bury, Maybrick, Barnett, Kelly, Sutton, Feigenbaum, Big Franny Tumblety (my favourite suspect. I don't think he's our guy, but I love the image of him on a great big horse with his greyhounds and massive moustache. If I could go for a drink with any of the players, he'd be my first choice!)

Sometimes the guys on the bench come on as substitutes and swap in with the players in the first team.

Kicked off the team and barred from the football ground for lewd and libidinous behaviour with the club mascot:

PAV, Sickert, Jill the Ripper, Ostrog, D'Onston, Mann, the poet guy whose name currently escapes me.

Comment

1. Unknown man
                      2. Druitt
                      3. Kosminski
                      4. Christian Hansen

Comment

Well it was Unknown man,until I came along with Sutton,so I'm claiming the lead
                        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
                          1. Unknown man
                          2. Druitt
                          3. Kosminski
                          4. Christian Hansen
                          Hi Kattrup,

Who is Christian Hansen?
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Hi Kattrup,

Who is Christian Hansen?
                            He was a Danish sailor/cattle driver who committed suicide in 1904.

He was sailing on a ship from Buenoes Aires to somewhere in England, Manchester I think.

He told his shipmates that in Buenos Aires, he’d raped the underage daughter of a police officer. He was therefore convinced that the police would be waiting for him upon arrival. He disappeared from the ship one night somewhere in the Atlantic and it was concluded that he’d committed suicide rather than be caught.

While on the ship, he also claimed to have killed in Denmark in 1902, an unsolved murder where a young woman was found with her throat cut.

Was he in London in 1888, you ask? Well, you can’t prove he wasn’t, can you? In fact, you can’t even prove that he wasn’t the ripper. That makes him a great suspect!

Comment

after 10 votes

Here's the current league table based all your views up to post 13

From 10 individual suggestions, we have as follows...

1 Unnamed/Unknown Suspect 30 points
                              2 Unknown LOCAL man 25 points
                              3 Kosminski 14 points
                              4 Druitt 12 Points
                              5 Lechmere 12 Points
                              6 Sutton 11 points
                              7 Unknown Gang 10 points
                              7 Unidentified Man (Britannia pub) 10 points
                              7 Maybrick 10 points
                              8 Cohen 6 points
                              9 Hutchinson 5 points
                              9 Unidentified Man seen by PC Smith 5 Points
                              10 Bury 2 points
                              11 McCarthy 2 points
                              11 Policeman 2 points
                              12 Hansen 1 point

As you can see i have separated the unknowns based on specific answers given. Merging all the unknowns, including locals would elevate increase the points considerably.

Also, where there's a points match, i have placed the suspect who has received more mentions higher up. for example, Druitt and Lechmere both have the same points but Druitt has been mentioned more and so goes higher than Lechmere for the time being.

I have also included Maybrick as mentioned in post 9, but not sure whether this was a serious answer due to the previous statement mentioned at the end of post 8.

Keep them coming

TRD

Comment

Working...
                              X