Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJA View Post

He was Fresian.

There is nothing to show he was not of Jewish extraction.

There remains a ferry service between Hull and Friesland.
    Didn't a gang of Cockney diamond smugglers try using this route in the 80's?
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Might have been another TV show
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

He was Fresian.

There is nothing to show he was not of Jewish extraction.

There remains a ferry service between Hull and Friesland.

The Dutch word meaning Jews is, as I stated, Joden.

The Frisian word meaning Jews is Joaden, which is almost identical to the Dutch.

There is no reason to suppose that Douwe Juwes de Dowe was of Jewish extraction.

In 1645, when de Dowe was living in Leeuwarden, the city fathers ordered all Jews residing in the town to register.

There is no record of de Dowe being Jewish.

If he had been of Jewish extraction, one could reasonably have expected someone to have found some evidence of it, as has happened with other famous persons in the last few centuries.

Neither of your points is relevant.

Last edited by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1; 05-11-2023, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

The Dutch word meaning Jews is, as I stated, Joden.

The Frisian word meaning Jews is Joaden, which is almost identical to the Dutch.

There is no reason to suppose that Douwe Juwes de Dowe was of Jewish extraction.

In 1645, when de Dowe was living in Leeuwarden, the city fathers ordered all Jews residing in the town to register.

There is no record of de Dowe being Jewish.

If he had been of Jewish extraction, one could reasonably have expected someone to have found some evidence of it, as has happened with other famous persons in the last few centuries.

Neither of your points is relevant.

In fact,the Jews of that time had their own language.

There is no record of him not being Jewish.

Comment

In fact,the Jews of that time had their own language.

There is no record of him not being Jewish.

Juwes is not a word in either the Hebrew or Yiddish languages.

In Dutch and Frisian, the w in uw is pronounced as in English.

There is no English w sound in either Hebrew or Yiddish.

The idea that Juwes was a Yiddish word was disproven in 1888 and I am surprised you should try to revive the idea.

It is unusual to suggest that a person may have been Jewish on the ground that there is no record of his not being Jewish.

Almost the entire population of Leeuwarden at that time were Christians and, moreover, Jews were required by the City Elders
            to register their presence in the city during the time that de Dowe lived there.

If he had been Jewish, there would be a record somewhere.

None of your points is relevant.
            Last edited by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1; 05-11-2023, 09:57 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1;n809663

Almost the entire population of Leeuwarden at that time were Christians and, moreover, Jews were required by the City Elders
              to register their presence in the city during the time that de Dowe lived there.[/QUOTE]

In fact there was a significant Jewish population.

The main concern was with the Roman Catholic residents.

Comment

In fact there was a significant Jewish population.
                Where is the evidence that Douwe Juwes de Dowe was a member of the Jewish community, that he registered as being Jewish, or that he had Jewish ancestry?

Where is the evidence that the word Juwes exists in Hebrew or Yiddish or has ever been a Jewish name?

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

Where is the evidence that Douwe Juwes de Dowe was a member of the Jewish community, that he registered as being Jewish, or that he had Jewish ancestry?

Where is the evidence that the word Juwes exists in Hebrew or Yiddish or has ever been a Jewish name?

Lost in the mists of times.

Do you think (sic) that Juwes was the word written in the GSG?

Comment

Do you think (sic) that Juwes was the word written in the GSG?

Yes.

If you don't think so, then your suggestion that Douwe Juwes de Dowe may have been Jewish is irrelevant.

Comment

Frisian languages - Wikipedia

Comment

Yet another irrelevant post from you.

Comment

Simply put, the word "Juwe" and "Juwes" existed prior to the use of the word "Jew". This word "Jew" appears in the English language after the translation of the bible (King James) from Latin into Anglo-Saxon (English). Hence it is a relatively modern transliteration of the Hebrew, "Iudhi/Iudha".
                          Ergo, the word "Juwes" existed as the term for those referred to in historical documentation as "Jews" long long ago...and surprising, during 1888 and even TODAY! It exists in the British Museum Library (just down the road from Whitechapel) and the Bodlian Library, Oxford (just up the road from Whitechapel), in fact, up and down, and in me Laydis Chamber.
                          Who would know of this term "Juwes", in 1888? I ASSUME scholars of the ilk of Warren, Anderson, and of course, the Chief Rabbi.
                          Hic Rhodus hic saltus!​

Comment

Ergo, the word "Juwes" existed as the term for those referred to in historical documentation as "Jews" long long ago...

Where is the evidence to support what you claim to be true?

Comment

British Museum Library.

Comment

I surmise The Geneva Bible still used Juwes.

Comment

Working...
                                X