Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative entrences / exits to #29 Hanbury crime scene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely if Richardson was in a yard surrounded by houses with windows he would have a look around to see if anyone was at any of the windows before he attacked Annie? Just as a primary precaution!

We keep being told with great emphasis that he lied about his boot. Does that incorporate the hurried conversation with Insp. Chandler that morning before Chandler rushed off to the mortuary. He didn't take a signed statement from Richardson.

It's all very well to say Richardson changed his story because somebody saw him. No-one came forward to say that they HAD seen him. Whoever it was could have spoken to any of the journalists who were nosing around, and given a false name if they were scared.

Richardson was investigated and questioned by the police. He came to the inquest and told his story. He was not placed under arrest at any time.

If Richardson is a murderer where does that leave Mrs Long's and Cadosch's testimony/statements to the police?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
      Surely if Richardson was in a yard surrounded by houses with windows he would have a look around to see if anyone was at any of the windows before he attacked Annie? Just as a primary precaution!

We keep being told with great emphasis that he lied about his boot. Does that incorporate the hurried conversation with Insp. Chandler that morning before Chandler rushed off to the mortuary. He didn't take a signed statement from Richardson.

It's all very well to say Richardson changed his story because somebody saw him. No-one came forward to say that they HAD seen him. Whoever it was could have spoken to any of the journalists who were nosing around, and given a false name if they were scared.

Richardson was investigated and questioned by the police. He came to the inquest and told his story. He was not placed under arrest at any time.

If Richardson is a murderer where does that leave Mrs Long's and Cadosch's testimony/statements to the police?
      I'm not sure about long. When I say richardson lied about his boot, it's right there in the inquest without even including chandler. He said I cut my boot and tied it up. When he's recalled he says "I cut my boot at the market with a borrowed knife".
      Last edited by RockySullivan; 12-31-2014, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
        I'm not sure about long. When I say richardson lied about his boot, it's right there in the inquest without even including chandler. He said I cut my boot and tied it up. When he's recalled he says "I cut my boot at the market with a borrowed knife".
        Hi Rocky

I believe what happened was that Richardson started to cut off a bit leather from his shoe on the steps of No. 29 but as his knife was blunt he finished the job off when he arrived at the market, with a sharper knife.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
          Hi Rocky

I believe what happened was that Richardson started to cut off a bit leather from his shoe on the steps of No. 29 but as his knife was blunt he finished the job off when he arrived at the market, with a sharper knife.
          But then why did richardson say

"[Coroner] Did you go into the yard? - No, the yard door was shut. I opened it and sat on the doorstep, and cut a piece of leather off my boot with an old table-knife, about five inches long. I kept the knife upstairs at John-street. I had been feeding a rabbit with a carrot that I had cut up, and I put the knife in my pocket. I do not usually carry it there. After cutting the leather off my boot I tied my boot up, and went out of the house into the market. I did not close the back door. It closed itself. I shut the front door.

Comment

In an old post a member named eastender claimed he heard some old richardson family lore in a pub near hanbury as the richardson family still live there. Eastender if your reading this, id really love to hear more about this, please share!

Comment

When richardson claimed the man who approached him in the street "was the real leather apron" was richardson saying that he himself was suspected of being leather apron? It seems like a strange coincidence that richardson would claim the man who accosted him in the street was the real leather apron when richardsons own leather apron was found in the yard with the chapmans body. Would richardsons wear a leather apron as a market porter or was the apron only used when he worked in his mothers yard? His mother said she found the apron mildewed and not recently used so she washed it. Would richardson use the leather apron for packing case making in the yard, or did he use the leather apron only when working in his mothers cellar? What kind of work did richardson do in the basement and what purpose would a leather apron be used for?
              It's very strange for richardson to claim the man in the street was the real leather apron when he himself wore one that was still wet from being cleaned in the yard with chapman. How long does a leather apron stay wet?

Comment

When richardson claimed the man who approached him in the street "was the real leather apron" was richardson saying that he himself was suspected of being leather apron? It seems like a strange coincidence that richardson would claim the man who accosted him in the street was the real leather apron when richardsons own leather apron was found in the yard with the chapmans body. Would richardsons wear a leather apron as a market porter or was the apron only used when he worked in his mothers yard? His mother said she found the apron mildewed and not recently used so she washed it. Would richardson use the leather apron for packing case making in the yard, or did he use the leather apron only when working in his mothers cellar? What kind of work did richardson do in the basement and what purpose would a leather apron be used for?
                It's very strange for richardson to claim the man in the street was the real leather apron when he himself wore one that was still wet from being cleaned in the yard with chapman. How long does a leather apron stay wet?
                He possibly [indeed probably] used one at both work places, but normally the one at the markets would be left there, if in fact his role saw him wearing an apron at the markets and he showed up without same he would at least stand out like a sore thumb, or MAY have lost his job.

This was certainly the case well into the 1960's at fruit and vegetable markets.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Since richardson wore a leather apron while working at 29 hanbury, would Francis Tyler have also worn one? It's interesting how he's noticeably absent from the events that morning.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    He possibly [indeed probably] used one at both work places, but normally the one at the markets would be left there, if in fact his role saw him wearing an apron at the markets and he showed up without same he would at least stand out like a sore thumb, or MAY have lost his job.

This was certainly the case well into the 1960's at fruit and vegetable markets.
                    Thanks gut. It's interesting that richardson was allowed to leave work despite his statement that he was unaware the murder had occurred in his own mothers yard and had only been informed the body was in one of the yard on hanbury. Would richardson have been allowed to leave work?

Comment

Since richardson wore a leather apron while working at 29 hanbury, would Francis Tyler have also worn one? It's interesting how he's noticeably absent from the events that morning.
                      That would depend on what role he played in the business, and yes the same applies to Richardson.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

What do you think richardsons leather apron man, gut? It seems strange that with the police focusing so heavily on leather apron, and all the focus on Pizer, that richardson would go ahead and point out "the real leather apron" to a reporter and not mention anything to the police. If so many of the women around hanbury thought that man was the murderer why didn't any of them come forward? Was richardson trying to frame that man as leather apron, or did he know something apparently no one else did? The story is certainly very very reminiscent of the three women story where Pizer is pointed out in the street as leather apron.

Comment

Hi all

So, he cut up some carrots for his rabbit, put the dessert knife in his pocket, then walking to Hanbury street found his boot was hurting and cut off the leather on the steps only to discover the knife wasn't sharp enough to cut off the leather he just said he did so borrowed a knife at the market?
                          Have I got that right?
                          So, finding his boot was hurting, he decided to take the dessert knife he usually kept at home with him, and then walked in a painful boot to his mothers house before sitting on the steps?
                          If he didn't realise his boot was hurting until he set off, by happy chance, he had the dessert knife in his pocket. The one he usually kept at home, but not that day?
                          And then. sitting on the steps of a packing case manufacturer, which presumably had sharp implements to hand, finding the dessert knife no use,he then walked to the market in his painful boot and borrowed a knife there?

Something not right here.
                          All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                            Hi all

So, he cut up some carrots for his rabbit, put the dessert knife in his pocket, then walking to Hanbury street found his boot was hurting and cut off the leather on the steps only to discover the knife wasn't sharp enough to cut off the leather he just said he did so borrowed a knife at the market?
                            Have I got that right?
                            So, finding his boot was hurting, he decided to take the dessert knife he usually kept at home with him, and then walked in a painful boot to his mothers house before sitting on the steps?
                            If he didn't realise his boot was hurting until he set off, by happy chance, he had the dessert knife in his pocket. The one he usually kept at home, but not that day?
                            And then. sitting on the steps of a packing case manufacturer, which presumably had sharp implements to hand, finding the dessert knife no use,he then walked to the market in his painful boot and borrowed a knife there?

Something not right here.
                            All the best.
                            I'm not sure that a saw [probably the one cutting instrument at a packing case manufacturer] would be much use to trim leather.
                            G U T

Comment

HI all

Fair point, though I still find his story odd.
                              All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                                I'm not sure that a saw [probably the one cutting instrument at a packing case manufacturer] would be much use to trim leather.
                                I believe at some point mrs richardson says he keeps a knife in the cellar with his leather apron...

Comment

Working...
                                X