Jack The Ripper walks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack The Ripper walks

My son and I just returned from London where we spent 9 days and nights in The Old City. During that time we took 3 Ripper walks. The first Ripper walk met at the Tower Hill Tube Station, right by our hotel. The female guide, whose name was unpronounceable, was nice, but I was able to spot many inaccuracies in her narrative: she only got one of the victims' age right! I think what bothered me most about this tour was the attempt to whitewash the fact that the victims were prostitutes. The spin she put on it was invariably that due to the misogyny of the day, these women were all "temporary prostitutes" and "all were in regular work at the times of their deaths!" At that I laughed out loud. I can understand not wishing to speak ill of the dead, but come on! We can argue Sexism in the Victorian Age all you like, but the plain fact remains that these women engaged in prostitution to provide for the basic necessities of life. Another whopper she told was the "if you were widowed, you were considered a prostitute." You were?? By whom?? At first I really thought she was just taking the piss, but she was dead serious. Also, "if you were divorced you were automatically considered a prostitute." What??? I won't say what well-known author runs this tour, but it rhymes with "bungalow." And we barely visited any of the real sites, save for Mitre Square! Not recommended.

The next tour, run by Richard Jones, was far superior! We not only went to as many of the actual sites as possible, but the guide, author Philip Hutchinson, was amazing! Knowledgeable as well as hilarious, Philip's knowledge of the Ripper was encyclopedic. He held your attention for every second, and we were really bummed when the tour was over. But my son and I spoke to Philip afterwards and he was very generous with his time. I would highly recommend this tour over the one that meets at Tower Hill! We were so impressed we booked a second tour with the same company, hoping to get Philip again. But, alas, it was not to be. John, our guide for the second tour, was very knowledgeable as well, but was much more serious than Philip, and lacked the same energy. It was still a great tour, and seeing all the sites for a third time really burned the experience in our memories.

I was previously prepared to accept the fact that a few of the actual murder sites either no longer existed, or had been altered severely over time; yet, when we walked past The White Hart Pub (where George Chapman lived) and entered that alley, the atmosphere of 1888 Victorian London was palpable in the air! And on Fournier Street, right by The Ten Bells and Christ Church, it's literally like stepping back in time. No wonder it is the filming location of many historical dramas.

If you haven't been on a Ripper Walk, I suggest checking it out. Nothing like being at or near the scene of the crime to give the mystery added perspective.

ADMINS: If you feel I have posted this in the wrong place, please feel free to move it to where you see fit. I chose "Scene of The Crimes" for obvious reasons, but as this is really an opinion piece, I can see if it needs re-classification. Thanks!
    Last edited by Holmes' Idiot Brother; 08-18-2024, 06:49 PM.

Your third tour guide was possibly John Bennett who has co-written 3 (I think) books with Paul Begg. The last walking tour I did was with John, which I went on after a drink in the The Ten Bells with Steve Blomer (Elemarna). The walk that I did prior to that was with Don Rumbelow but I’m pretty sure that he’s given them up now.

Theres a photo of John Bennett on here.

A biography of Jack the Ripper walking tour guide John Bennett. The author of 3 book son the case John is considered a major expert on the whole ripper mystery.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      Your third tour guide was possibly John Bennett who has co-written 3 (I think) books with Paul Begg. The last walking tour I did was with John, which I went on after a drink in the The Ten Bells with Steve Blomer (Elemarna). The walk that I did prior to that was with Don Rumbelow but I’m pretty sure that he’s given them up now.

Theres a photo of John Bennett on here.

https://www.jack-the-ripper-tour.com.../john-bennett/
      That's the man! Very good guide, but we preferred Philip; just a different energy. I really wanted to have a pint or three in The Ten Bells, but each time we were there it was absolutely jam packed! You couldn't even get through the door!

Comment

Question -- Does The Ten Bells deliberately downplay its Ripper connection and are the toilets really as nasty as rumored?

Anything Ripper related on the walls?

c.d.

Comment

I don’t recall anything wrong with the toilets c.d. and my memory is a bit vague on the decor but it’s certainly not a ‘ripper’ pub. Someone who has been in there more recently will be better placed but I get the impression that the ripper connection is played down these days. I actually went in there around 2 years ago but I was just waiting for a friend so I bought a pint and stood outside as it was crammed inside on a warm night.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Anyone know if 'John Pope De Locksley' is still conducting tours?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
              Anyone know if 'John Pope De Locksley' is still conducting tours?
              That’s a blast from the past Scott. I saw him once touting for walkers as I was waiting for a guide. I think that I might have found out that it was him because our guide was Don Rumbelow who told me. He used to appear regularly in Ripperana.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Glad that you got to meet Rumbelow, Michael.

Comment

I don’t recall anything wrong with the toilets c.d. and my memory is a bit vague on the decor but it’s certainly not a ‘ripper’ pub. Someone who has been in there more recently will be better placed but I get the impression that the ripper connection is played down these days. I actually went in there around 2 years ago but I was just waiting for a friend so I bought a pint and stood outside as it was crammed inside on a warm night.
                  The toilets are still a bit rough and they do not 'rely' on the Ripper to gain custom. When I was last there Kevin Costner was there...

Click image for larger version

Name:	307678037_10160723819164769_2873605689933833046_n.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	840030

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                    Question -- Does The Ten Bells deliberately downplay its Ripper connection and are the toilets really as nasty as rumored?

Anything Ripper related on the walls?

c.d.

Comment

That's the Ladies in the Ten Bells, c.d.

Comment

I wonder if they have recently been remodeled. I saw a number of photos online and they were unbelievably bad including the stairs and hallway leading to them. I was going to post them but there was so much profanity and vulgar expressions on the wall I thought better of it.

c.d.

Comment

That’s a blast from the past Scott. I saw him once touting for walkers as I was waiting for a guide. I think that I might have found out that it was him because our guide was Don Rumbelow who told me. He used to appear regularly in Ripperana.
                          Somewhere in my attic I have a book about the so-called Highgate Vampire of the late 60s and early 70s that supposedly haunted Highgate Cemetery. The hoax was publicized by a dubious clergyman named Sean Manchester but somehow De Locksley got involved, too. If I remember correctly, he tried to exorcize the vampire with a magic ritual and the police got involved.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Somewhere in my attic I have a book about the so-called Highgate Vampire of the late 60s and early 70s that supposedly haunted Highgate Cemetery. The hoax was publicized by a dubious clergyman named Sean Manchester but somehow De Locksley got involved, too. If I remember correctly, he tried to exorcize the vampire with a magic ritual and the police got involved.
                            Hi Roger,

I read something about him after Scott’s mention.

There are not many people who will not have heard of the famous – some would say ‘infamous’ – case of the Highgate Vampire. It all really began in the late 1960s/70s when wide reports began coming into the British Psychic and Occult Society about a ‘tall dark figure’ with ’hypnotic red eyes’ that had […]

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X